PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged

Comments

• Amilucky?
    Amilucky? Posts: 13,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mamzie wrote: »
    I imagine the companies actually want us to go through their site, so that would work. Wish we knew which ones had asked through.

(link to discussion thread)

This will only work for people using the Firefox browser however I am sure there will be similar programs for people using alternative browsers

If your using Firefox as your main browser there's an addon called Refcontrol that lets you control what gets sent as the HTTP Referer on a per-site basis.

it has the following settings
    • Normal - send the referrer as it would normally be sent without interference from RefControl.
    • Block - send no referrer to this site.
    • Forge - send the root of the site as the referrer
    • Custom - type in any string and RefControl will use that as the referrer.
    the Forge setting looks like being the most useful for instance if you where to click on the current competition link on MSE http://www.peta2.com/outthere/o_hell...?c=peta2_enews it would send the referral link http://www.peta2.com/

if you clicked on the link without the forge setting it would send the following referral link http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1150227

Beaware
    that sometimes you will need to send the actual referral links as some competition forms will not work if the proper referral link are not sent (I.E) some competitions require that you click on multiple pages to enter the competition and they need the actual referral links

hope that this is useful to someone :D:D
  • bunn
    bunn Posts: 4,191 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    at the mo my hotmail just takes me to the home page so i have to type in the email addy anyways!!
  • Zebra
    Zebra Posts: 6,702 Forumite
    Thanks Amilucky!
    I'll give Refcontrol a try - certainly can't see it doing any harm
    I've been worried that websites would see where traffic originated from - I'd been brought up on the Gambling Board and like Kipper said it's heresy there to put up direct links.
  • right ok, i got it, so ill just post the comp addy with a header
    Wins,Hammerfest weekender tickets,Chris Rea Tickets,more Chris Rea Tickets,
  • Just been having a read through. I think the main problem could be to do with posting graphics from the comp site. Some webmasters get fairly cranky about this. Because the picture is hosted on their site they can see who is using it from their web logs.
    My personal view is that other than that, MSE forum is about discussing things and helping people. One of the things we discuss is what sites have competitions and what the answer might be. Other sites do this too. But I will be much more careful not to post pictures from the competition site (if I can find ones that aren't here already happy39.gif).
  • Ghirl
    Ghirl Posts: 477 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use Outlook Express which doesn't work with email 'links' on sites so need the email addy on here PLEASE xxx

I have the same issue so I right-click the link and click 'copy shortcut' then paste it somewhere and it shows the email address and what the subject should be. Hope I've explained that properly!
  • Its probably a bandwidth problem - linking to a pic on a site uses a lot more which in turns costs the site more - unless they have their own servers.
    Consider my wrist slapped too
    Promise I'll be good from now on ;)
    Happy with any wins this year :A
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    Welcome to the new forum. The aim is to list all the free competitions that are around, after all if it's free and you win it - then it's good MoneySaving.

Competitions can be found anywhere and everywhere. Online, in shops, magazines on the TV. Providing they're open to everyone (ie not invite only) then do post them here.

So do scan the web and report a contest. Hopefully a MoneySaver will win. If you're entering online contests, then its worth using a separate e-mail address, it'll stop the risk of spam emails. Just set up a Hotmail, Yahoo or MSN address.

1. Competitions must be open to all If you are invited specially to do a competition with a code, and the competition isn't open to all. Please do not post the codes here, that is breaking terms and conditions of a competition runner and could be seen as incitement to breach contract. (something neither I nor the poster want).

2. Free Competitions Only. This is a not a place to advertise competitions you have to pay to enter. I will accept limited cost text message type competitons (though frankly they're usually naff apart from in special circumstances) where they cost up to £1.50 to text to enter, but generally I would say make sure they are free.

3. No Pyramid Selling. Pyramids where - if you join a list - you may get a X, Y, Z are absolutely no part of this board, or any board on the site. I don't want them here please report them if you spot them.

4. Where did you spot the competition? If you spot a competition it'd be helpful for everyone to know where you got it from. It helps them know how legitimate it is for them to enter.

5. Report your winnings. If you win, we want to know. It's fun - so please use the I WON I WON board to report your winnings.

6. Include the closing date in the title. Please include the closing date of the competition in the title of the thread you are starting. Please use the closing date format E: 01/01 or E: MONTHLY This way once it is closed it can be moved to the 'Game over' board

7. No Vote For Me Competitions. Please do not post vote for me competitions, they are not allowed on this forum.

8. No Bumping Of Posts. Please do not just bump posts for the sake of it. This disrupts the boards.

9. No Advertising Of Own Websites. This site is free from advertising. Posts on any board considered to be advertising goods, services and/or companies will be removed. This includes the posting of a competition from your own site or from a site that you are employed by. We also do not allow advertising via PM. Examples of this can include anything from a specific sales post or a link to your own website in which you attempt to sell something to someone offering their holiday home to forum members. Unfortunately we cannot allow any advertising of any description no matter how honourable the intention.

And as always please be nice to other MoneySavers.....
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2011 at 3:28PM
    Please remember to use the expiry code convention on all comps in this format E: 30/01 if for any reason you cant find a date (it can usually be found in the terms and condition) then please make an end date up(try using the end of the month)

Any weekly or monthly comps should be placed on the regular competitions board. Please use the expirry date convention E: MONTHLY or E: WEEKLY etc...

Please also remember to do a search first to make sure the competition is not already listed.
  • nash0819
    nash0819 Posts: 1,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interesting read on this thread. If you want to anonymise your links and hide referral information, you can use a website like http://anonym.to

e.g. to link to the BBC News main page, you could do this: http://anonym.to/?http://news.bbc.co.uk

This would stop the referral being shown as MSE. The downside is that the person who clicks on the link sees a short "you are being re-directed to..." webpage before being automatically forwarded to the right place.
    Many tx to all who post constructively in all the forums!:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport