How do I get a PO Box address?

Hi,

I have just set up a new business, but am working from home for the time being. I obviously dont want to give my personal address out for secruity reasons, also as it doesnt look professional.

Someone mentioned that I can get a PO Box address assigned to my home address? Does anyone know the ins and out?

Thanks
Baby A
:j BABY A :j

Comments

• stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    Baby_A wrote:
    Hi,

I have just set up a new business, but am working from home for the time being. I obviously dont want to give my personal address out for secruity reasons, also as it doesnt look professional.

Someone mentioned that I can get a PO Box address assigned to my home address? Does anyone know the ins and out?

Thanks
    Baby A

I've run my business from home for 10 plus years using a P O Box Number costs £54 per year and I collect my mail each day from the local sorting office - it costs more if you want them to deliver it to your home. Not sure where you get the form to apply for one try your sorting office or the Royal Mail website. Your P O Box must be from the same delivery office that delivers your home mail ie you can't live in Brighton and have P O Box 50 in Portsmouth. Also forget about any ideas of using it to hide your real address - anyone can request from the Royal Mail the name and address of the person who has the P O Box - quite rightly so in my opinion. I don't know what the set up is with these private companies doing an address service there is one in my town called Mail Boxes etc some sort of franchise operation but I'm quite happy with the service I get from the Royal Mail
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    stamford wrote:
    I've run my business from home for 10 plus years using a P O Box Number costs £54 per year and I collect my mail each day from the local sorting office - it costs more if you want them to deliver it to your home. Not sure where you get the form to apply for one try your sorting office or the Royal Mail website. Your P O Box must be from the same delivery office that delivers your home mail ie you can't live in Brighton and have P O Box 50 in Portsmouth. Also forget about any ideas of using it to hide your real address - anyone can request from the Royal Mail the name and address of the person who has the P O Box - quite rightly so in my opinion. I don't know what the set up is with these private companies doing an address service there is one in my town called Mail Boxes etc some sort of franchise operation but I'm quite happy with the service I get from the Royal Mail
    Why hide behind a PO box,what are you afraid of,I recently had dealings with a website that had a PO box and a call centre agency for receipt of orders via email,they did not deliver my goods,how do I contact the individual,no telephone address ,just an email
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • stamford
    kenshaz wrote:
    Why hide behind a PO box,what are you afraid of,I recently had dealings with a website that had a PO box and a call centre agency for receipt of orders via email,they did not deliver my goods,how do I contact the individual,no telephone address ,just an email

Didn't you read this ?

"anyone can request from the Royal Mail the name and address of the person who has the P O Box - quite rightly so in my opinion."

Find out the address, send them a recorded delivery letter threatening small claims court action. If they are a Ltd company you can get their registered office address from Companies House website
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks,taken in good spirit
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • Roxie
    Roxie Posts: 635
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MFW 2021 No: 33 £45000/£45000 Mortgage free @ 11/6/21 🥳
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    To be perfectly honest I think that a PO Box address looks a lot more unprofessional than a full address that happens to be a residential address. There certainly was a backlash against PO Box address a few years ago where many "MSE" type websites/ magazine articals etc said to avoid any company which is hiding behind a PO Box.

The other consideration is on the ecommerce side of things... I know that any online seller must list a contact address and I have a feeling this cannot be a po box but you would need to check that out with your solicitor.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • ukbill69
    ukbill69 Posts: 2,789
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    PO box is good for shortening your address. With PO boxes they are great when you give your address out because all you need to give is.

PO BOX 10
    London
    EC1V 7RB

Insted of spelling to the customer over the phone

123 My Hard To Spell Street Name
    The Road Round The Corner
    London
    EC1V 7UH

It costs £54 to get a PO box per year and delivery of your mail everyday costs an extra £54 per year.

Also just though it is good if you move address, becuase you can direct your mail when you like with one phone call and without hassile.
    Kind Regards
    Bill
  • stamford
    Astaroth wrote:
    To be perfectly honest I think that a PO Box address looks a lot more unprofessional than a full address that happens to be a residential address. There certainly was a backlash against PO Box address a few years ago where many "MSE" type websites/ magazine articals etc said to avoid any company which is hiding behind a PO Box.

The other consideration is on the ecommerce side of things... I know that any online seller must list a contact address and I have a feeling this cannot be a po box but you would need to check that out with your solicitor.

So if you had a choice of sending a £10 cheque for a DVD which one of these operations would you send it to :-

Stevie Scally Sounds, Basement Flat, 59a Bash Street, Toxteth, Liverpool, L5 2PJ

or

Premier Discs Ltd, P.O.Box 2020, Liverpool, L1 3AA

:D:D:D:D
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    This is where being creative with your address comes in... I ran my business from Unit 1L, 106 Annfield Road for 3 years rather than saying First Floor Left Flat, 106 Annfield Road and to the best of my knowledge never had any mail that wasnt delivered to me (which is saying something!!)

If it is a company like Tesco/ RBS/ John Lewis than I would accept sending it to a PO Box, if it was an unknown then I probably would prefer to send it to basement flat to PO Box... at least then I know both "where they live" and that they are being open and honest... I am aware that with a PO Box direct from Royal Mail then you can trace the details of the owner but there are other companies out there that will register it in their name on your behalf and so PO Boxes still stink of secrets to me for unknown brands.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Caca_2
    Caca_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    The reason that I would want to *hide* behind a PO Box address is that I want to write to prisoners who other wise receive no mail. Some of the prisoners have committed violent crimes. I wouldn't be happy at the idea that they could simply ask for my address and then come and find where I live.
    For this reason I would appreciate TOTAL privacy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport