Juddering in 1st and 2nd gear? Any ideas?

joey_2
joey_2 Posts: 240 Forumite
Hi I'm hoping someone can help me, maybe give some ideas as to what could be causing this problem and how costly it will be to get fixed!!!

I brought a renault scenic alize about 5 or 6 weeks ago it's 9 years old. Has just developed a really strong judder (I call it kangarooing) this started yesterday and was only when starting up so in 1st gear, problem was gone when going into 2nd. However today it is also doing it in 2nd. It was always difficult to get into 1st gear - takes a bit of force. My immediate thought was that I was putting it straight into 3rd but I'm definitely not and now it's doing it in 2nd too anyway. It's really strong juddering the whole car jumps up and down, quite scary.

Has been serviced regularly, last done 06 and had an mot in April.

Please any ideas? I'm so worried and gutted especially as I've only had it just over a month.

Comments

• tony8_2
    tony8_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Perm any one of a thousand causes.

However, one of the most common causes of engine judder in 1st, 2nd and/or reverse can be alied to engine/gearbox mountings. cost of repair should be reasonable but far less than replacing the whole car.
  • Cumbrian_Male
    Cumbrian_Male Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Check gearbox oil level.

If thats ok then might be needing a new clutch. could be contaminated with oil if you have a leaky engine seal at the crank.
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

• joey_2
    Thanks to both of you.

Do you know of anyway to check the gearbox oil level as in the manual it just says to consult a renault dealer.?
  • tony8_2
    Ah, the manual, that little old chest-nut, at the end of each section,"refer to main dealer", bless 'em.

Unfortunately, most mdern Reanault gear-box's are sealed units with a measured amount of oil put into the gear-box prior to being fitted, via the speed sensor hole. Therefore the only way to be certain is to drain the box then re-fill it with the correct amount.

If the oil level is low, the bearings in the box/diff will become very noisey very quickly, get someone to dip the clutch pedal with the engine running and have a listen, any distinctive change in sound may indicate further problems.

best of luck
  • MortgageMamma
    MortgageMamma Posts: 6,686 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have had this problem several times with my renault megane and it was something to do with the fuel injection. Apparently there are four coils/fingers that help the car run properly and when one of them goes this juddering starts. It is a progressive problem, it starts as a slight judder like a misfire and then it becomes more aggressive. It cost me about £80 Each time to put right. If you take it to garage and get them to run a diagnostic programme on it this should idenfity if this is the cause.

Good luck, I'm just going to lease something a bit more reliable as this is my second megane and both had numberous problems!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • tony8_2
    You are quite right, each spark plug has it's own coil and if one fails you will experience juddering. The reason for this is the coils operate in pairs, ie 1 and 4, 2 and 3, so if one fails two cylinders are affected. This situation is usually complemented with alumination of the EML light. Electronic Management Light. The failed coil is very easy to find by unplugging each fuel injector in turn and finding the one that DOESN'T alter the running of the engine.

Once the faulty coil has been changed, usually the EMF will go out but will store the fault in the ECU memory.
  • joey_2
    Thanks, am getting it checked today so will update you later.
  • MortgageMamma
    Are you a mechanic tony? If so, could you recommend a large executive car which is known for reliability and fuel efficiency and hopefully not to bad emissions? oh and it needs to be a 4WD and quite tough as I live rurally

Just for info i need to get two dogs 3 kids in the back and I may have to tow a horse trailer very occassionally
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • tony8_2
    Tell me Mortgagemamma, are you looking for new or used, petrol or diesel, manual or auto, plus budget?.
  • MortgageMamma
    Erm, New or newish, diesel, manual and it has to have a reversing sensor on it lol

Budget, I'm probably going to lease so say anything under £450 PCM should be ok

Thanks in advance
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure