Discuss the Lloyds Airmiles Duo credit cards

Comments

• What is not made clear is that applying for these cards cancels any existing cards you have with LloydsTSB, with no further warning. I found this to my cost when my Gold Card, which I had had for over 20 years, wasn't accepted when I filled up with £80 petrol. This is before my new cards had even arrived. Luckily I had another non-Lloyds card to pay with, but this could have been very serious.

Of course there was then the ongoing consequence of continuous authorisations being rejected for several months afterwards; mobile phone, congestion charge, pay-by-phone parking, internet connection, my website renewals, etc... Had I any idea of the consequences I would not have bothered!

LloydsTSB insist that you are notified when you apply, but I can't find any mention of it. Once the existing card has been cancelled there is no going back! Apparently they cannot reinstate it.
  • krakan
    krakan Posts: 141 Forumite
    ElkyElky wrote: »
    I bought something on the MasterCard that came to £49.99. The shop keeper thought I was mad when I asked him if he could add a penny to it to make it £50. He put the transaction through at £50 and gave me the penny from the till.

You were mad - as discussed above, the airmiles are calculated on your monthly spend, no the spend on that single transaction.

If that had been your only spend for the month then yes, that would have been worth the penny, but otherwise it wouldn't make any difference (unless you hit the unlikely situation where your monthly spend still ended in 9.99 of course)

It's only a penny but what the shopkeeper did was naughty, btw, that was only 1p but it was a cash advance.

Suggest you see if he'll ring your next sale through at £35,000 and give you the difference in cash :)
  • pvt
    pvt Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    krakan wrote: »
    It's only a penny but what the shopkeeper did was naughty, btw, that was only 1p but it was a cash advance.

Krakan,

More importantly the shopkeeper had to pay commission on the credit card transaction, probably of about 2.5%. So his foolhardy cash advance behaviour has resulted in an effective loss of 0.025p.

If he carries on like that he'll go to the wall! By my estimate in about 53,842 years he'll be insolvent....:D
    Optimists see a glass half full :)
    Pessimists see a glass half empty :(
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be :D
  • can anyone tell me if im right in this but with the Premier Duo Avios card you pay £50 per year and get 10 points per pound in the first 3 months?! Im about to shell our about £5,000 on my wedding so i could get 50,000 points - almost enough for a return flight to Japan (not including taxes). sounds a bit too good to be true
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 November 2011 at 9:29AM
    Perhaps, it depends on how you apply.

If you apply via the avios.com website, that's the opening bonus. See http://www.avios.com/collect/lloydstsb/lloydstsb-avios-premier-credit-card-account?from=lloydsDuoAcq&WT.mc_id=AviosPW_UpgradeOnDuoPage

If you apply via the LloydsTSB website, there's a different opening bonus of up to 10,000 Avios. See http://www.lloydstsb.com/credit_cards/premier_duo_avios.asp

These are for using the AmEx card. The Mastercard earning rate is poor. It also presupposes that you are a new applicant. The bonuses don't apply if you are an existing LloydsTSB Airmiles cardholder.

There are double miles for foreign expenditure, though beware LloydsTSB's currency surcharge of 2.75%. I'm not sure how the double miles are affected by the 5x offer. 20 miles per £ sounds very optimistic!
  • alexlg
    alexlg Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd be interested to hear other poster's (is that what we are/the right term?) thoughts on this.....

I've just applied for and received my Lloyds TSB Duo Avios cards from the Lloyds TSB website but I now realise I won't be eligible for the bonus 2000 Avios because I'm unlikely to spend £500 a month for the next 3 months. I'm not a high earner/big spender and my boyfriend has just got a Capital One card so we're putting as much of the joint spending, petrol/supermarkets etc on that at the moment.

I only got the Duo for the extra 2000 points and, when its not right for me to be using my boyfriend's card (!), the Duo Amex (if its accepted) looks like an easy way to top up my meagre Avios balance for a rainy day.

ANYWAY - now I've read all the small print, it would have obviously been better to apply for these same cards through the Avios website rather than through Lloyds TSB (yawn). So, do you think I stand a chance of being successful, if I cancel my current cards and re-apply for same through Avios?

What do you think?
  • OllyM
    OllyM Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    alexlg wrote: »
    ANYWAY - now I've read all the small print, it would have obviously been better to apply for these same cards through the Avios website rather than through Lloyds TSB (yawn). So, do you think I stand a chance of being successful, if I cancel my current cards and re-apply for same through Avios?

If you cancel and re-apply, you won't get any introductory offer the second time, so this isn't a good idea.
  • OllyM
    OllyM Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Roger1 wrote: »
    I mentioned 'per transaction' in connection with Amex's own cards. Just for the avoidance of misunderstanding, by this I meant the cards that AmEx themselves issue, for example the AmEx Platinum and Gold charge cards and the BA AmEx credit cards. These cards ignore pence for each transaction when calculating award points/miles.

That is true for charge cards (and possibly the free blue BA card) but certainly my BA Premium Plus AmEx calculates miles on every penny you spend, quite often they will round up in your favour. I've put 55p on the card and been given 1 Avios for it, and for example a £39.05 spend gives 59 Avios (39.05 x 1.5 = 58.575, so they round up).
  • Hi

I wonder if someone can help me, I currently have a BA Amex airline card which I've had for about 8/9 months.

What I was wondering is, would I be able to go and get the the Lloyds duo airline cards to get their intro bonus of 30,000 to add to my current BA/avios points?

Thanks
  • Hi all,

I have a few questions I hoped someone could answer:

1) I'm slightly confused by the 'London to...' boxes accompanying the information on the different cards. So, for both the Lloyds TSB and BA Amex cards, a £1 spend equates to 1 avios point; why, therefore, do the boxes differ on the amount that needs to be spent before you earn enough points to travel to the long haul destinations?

For the Lloyds card: London to Cape Town for 2 biz class would cost £200,000, whereas for the BA Amex card it's £100,000.

2) The cards are described as frequent flyer cards by this website. I have a BA Amex card, but only spend £700 on it a month, and rarely fly. However, I currently have 45,000 miles saved, and wish to save enough to fly longhaul in the future). Would I be better with the Lloyds card - or perhaps with no card of this type at all, since I don't fly frequently? (Might that answer be contingent upon whether the Lloyds card requires greater spending for the same longhaul journey?).

Thanks,

Ratherconfused.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family