PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Carpet beetles and borax

Hello all :D

Having just been made redundant I now have plenty of time on my hands! I have been spring cleaning this past week and have found some bugs in my wardrobes which I think are carpet beetle larvae. I feel quite sick and upset about it and am now frantically washing all my clothes at the highest possible temperatures!

I have done some research and have seen that some people are recommending the use of borax to get rid of the beetles. Firstly, has anyone tried this and had success? Secondly, is borax harmful? I have two cats and will obviously keep them out of the bedroom when the borax is down but may not be able to hoover every little trace of it up again so they might breathe some in or get some on their feet and swallow it when they wash themselves.

Thirdly, I am now paranoid that these beetles are everywhere and am thinking of treating my mattress with borax powder and hoovering it up afterwards. Is this likely to harm me? I've read conflicting stories as to its toxicity.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Indeed, if anyone has any ideas about getting rid of carpet beetles using other methods I'd love to hear them! I have built-in wardrobes and the floor inside is carpeted, but I don't have carpet anywhere else in the house. I'm going to rip this up and put some vinyl flooring down instead. Should I treat the inside walls of the wardrobe? If so, what with? I was going to spread the powdered borax around the floor after I'd taken the carpet up and then hoover it up the next day.

cheers

Suze
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• Hi Suze,

I have tried to search the net for information for you, but I haven't found anything useful.

Sorry

Greenwellies
  • Suzey
    Suzey Posts: 2,701
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ambassador
    No probs - thanks for looking. I think the borax should work, but as I've read conflicting opinions on its toxicity I am worried about using it with cats around!

Maybe someone else will know - I know some people still swear by it as a household cleaner.

cheers! :D

Suze

Hi Suze,

I have tried to search the net for information for you, but I haven't found anything useful.

Sorry

Greenwellies
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    I don't know if borax works but there was a recent eposide of "How clean is your house" where this house was infested with carpet beetles and flesh eating beetles. They had to get pest control in to get rid of them. Mind you it was a bad infestation.
  • Suzey
    Ambassador
    :eek:

I feel really dirty and itchy now even though I know I'm not!

The beetles are localised to the wardrobe so hopefully I should be OK with a local treatment - I don't fancy having to pay the council £80 to come round. of course if I were on benefits it would be a lot cheaper :cry:

Suze

I don't know if borax works but there was a recent eposide of "How clean is your house" where this house was infested with carpet beetles and flesh eating beetles. They had to get pest control in to get rid of them. Mind you it was a bad infestation.
  • Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Sorry Suzey. Didn't mean to make you feel dirty as I said it was a bad infestation - they were all over the house. I should of kept my mouth shut.
    Sorry again.
    Rachel.
  • Suzey
    Ambassador
    No probs. You know when you just know there are nasty things lurking and they make your skin crawl though?? It's not your fault, it's these pesky beetles!

I hope someone knows about borax and can put me out of my misery!!!

Suze

Sorry Suzey. Didn't mean to make you feel dirty as I said it was a bad infestation - they were all over the house. I should of kept my mouth shut.
    Sorry again.
    Rachel.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Susey,

I know nothing about carpet beetles, but on the box of borax I have it says it will not harm anything that is not damaged by water. I use it once a week on my hair (mixed with shampoo it removes build up of hair products) and have used it on delicate clothing (to remove persistant stains), so it shouldn't do any harm to you, your mattress, or your cats. Good luck with getting rid of the beetles.

Pink
  • Suzey
    Ambassador
    Thanks Pink! The box doesn't say that it's an irritant then? That's interesting!

Next question (sorry about this): where did you buy it? I was thinking of looking in Wilkinson's...

Suze

Susey,

I know nothing about carpet beetles, but on the box of borax I have it says it will not harm anything that is not damaged by water. I use it once a week on my hair (mixed with shampoo it removes build up of hair products) and have used it on delicate clothing (to remove persistant stains), so it shouldn't do any harm to you, your mattress, or your cats. Good luck with getting rid of the beetles.

Pink
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The box I am talking about is discontinued now, but I can still buy it in boots for £2.70 for 250g. I know some people on this board have had trouble getting it, but it's available in my local boots in a plainish own brand box, usually beside their other own brand washing powder, starch, fabric conditioner and caustic soda.

This LINK might help you with uses for borax.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport