Non British Citizen and Uni Fees – Please Help

Comments

• Bebsie wrote: »
    Thanks, she is a German citizen as she was on my German passport, do you think this will make a difference?

Unfortunately Home (UK) and EU students (on the whole) come under one umbrella with international students when it comes to fees and funding. The residency rule applies.
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Bebsie as I understand it your daughter is an EU citizen and has been resident in England for over three years. If that is so I don't think there is a problem, EU citizens who have been resident her for more than three years are treated as home students.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • mumps wrote: »
    Bebsie as I understand it your daughter is an EU citizen and has been resident in England for over three years. If that is so I don't think there is a problem, EU citizens who have been resident her for more than three years are treated as home students.

Have just gone back and re-read the OP. For some unknown reason (?!), I thought your daughter was still in SA! As Mumps says, if she has been here over 3 years - EU, UK or not - she is seen as a resident therefore cheaper home fees!
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Kaori1 wrote: »
    Have just gone back and re-read the OP. For some unknown reason (?!), I thought your daughter was still in SA! As Mumps says, if she has been here over 3 years - EU, UK or not - she is seen as a resident therefore cheaper home fees!

I agree.

An important proviso: had she been here on a visa with a fixed end date then she might well have been treated as an international student. Of course, as an EU (German) citizen she enjoys the right to live in the UK indiefinitely, but a South African national in her position might not have been so fortunate.
  • Bebsie
    Bebsie Posts: 382 Forumite
    Brilliant news, thank you so so much for all your help!:j :j
  • mumps wrote: »

Well more to the point, her daughter is in year 11 now... so along she does her A levels/IB/whatver in this country she'll easily be resident for 3 years.
  • Baba_2
    Baba_2 Posts: 36 Forumite
    @Poster

Dont worry yourself about that. People at the fees office even seems confused about this. They were all trained by UKCOSA. In as much as she's German, she's ok. Even though on "book", she must be in UK for 3 years prior to the resumption but her EU nationality would make them waive all that.

Good luck.
  • MMLS
    MMLS Posts: 361 Forumite
    My situation is slightly different and I will make enquiries of the advised web sites but I hoped someone might just know the answer to this as well!!

Husband, myself and 16 year old son are all British. Five years ago, when my husband was out of work and couldn't find a job in the UK (and point blank refused to go on benefits), he took a position in the Middle East - which is where we are now and btw, not earning a huge salary :o. I spend several months of the year in the UK as my parents aren't in good health and had planned on coming back this summer so that our son could do his A levels in the UK and I could look after mum and dad properly while my husband stayed here and travelled back and for, as much as money allowed. As the time draws nearer though, our son says he would prefer to stay and do his A levels here and tbh, we don't want to split our family up even for a couple of years.

So the situation would be that in 2 years time when he wants to start university, even with all of us being British /EU passport holders/citizens, I doubt we would be classed as UK resident. Is there anyway around this? We definitely could not afford overseas student fees. I had thought that if you were a tax payer in the UK that this would no longer be a problem but I'm not sure how we could be tax payers - short of buying property and letting it out :eek:. We are all registered with the local GP and NHS dentist (have been for many years and both are aware of our situation) and our son went to the local primary school from reception through to year 6.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    As far as I know, if he's not been resident in the UK for the three years preceding his course, then he won't count as a home student and will have to pay international fees. Studying for his A levels in the UK wouldn't make any difference.

"
    Holders of a British Passport are not necessarily classed as home students.
    Your fee-paying status is primarily based on whether you have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least three years prior to starting your course. However, this is a complicated issue and if you are in doubt as to whether you should pay the 'overseas' or 'home' rate you should contact the International Office for advice."
  • MMLS
    MMLS Posts: 361 Forumite
    That's the way I understand it too but I keep hoping that there's some loophole! I will be contacting the International Office as you suggest.

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport