Any tips to freshen up 2nd hand clothes?

Hi all,

I was desperate for some new clothes, but as I am hoping to lose weight I thought I would be MSE and pick up some things from ebay to tide me over until I can fit into my existing too small clothes. I have bought items from several different sellers, the thing is I find they smell a bit sweaty :( I have tried rubbing a good squeeze of Stardrops into the armpits before washing, but there is still a rather heavy smell about them. I need to wear these to work but cannot go into the office smelling bad. Being a plus sized lady I am already paranoid about keeping myself clean and fresh. I won`t make this mistake again - I would have been better off just buying a couple of brand news tops rather than the several smelly 2nd hand ones. All the sellers have good feedback, I am sure they must just not notice their own smell iykwim.

Please can anyone suggest a way to get rid of the smell? If I can`t then I have wasted a fair chunk of dosh.

Thanks,
SM

Comments

• BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    do you use fabric conditioner ? - try one that has a perfumey smell ..
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    An overnight soak in vineger should fix this,I always had this problem when washing my sons clothes.
    Slimming World at target
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Try spraying the sweaty bits with febreeze (for fabrics) and letting the clothes dry. When dry wash as usual, works with my teenagers school shirts.

Pollys
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • 'Simple Solution' possibly??? It's very good on 'organic' smells and stains??? (Believe me, anything that can remove the stench of (apologies) runny cat poo from my favourite Monsoon cloth bag and the carpet beneath HAS to be good.
  • Thanks folks for the quick replies. I have fabric conditioner, vinegar and febreze so can try those straight away. I`ll also pick up some Simple Solution - I had never heard of it before but looks like a very good product to have around :)

Thanks again,
    SM
  • glowgirl_2
    glowgirl_2 Posts: 4,591 Forumite
    'Simple Solution' possibly??? It's very good on 'organic' smells and stains??? (Believe me, anything that can remove the stench of (apologies) runny cat poo from my favourite Monsoon cloth bag and the carpet beneath HAS to be good.

To follow on from this theme :o I had the same problem with my brand new bedding and the new Ariel soak for stubborn stains sorted it after a two hour soak - hth:)
    Thank you for this site Martin
    The time for change has come
    Good luck for the future
  • My daughter's school shirts were a bit whiffy after washing so I tried washing them on a 60c wash with bio liquid as opposed to a 40c wash with non bio and this definitely helped to clean them more thoroughly.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • my son plays football and leaves his boots in with his towels etc and believe me - the honk is disgusting and is ingrained in the towels by the time I dig them out for washing. The only thing I have found that works is to throw some soda crystals in the drum with the washing along with the usual liquid/powder and fabric conditioner. The towels come out smelling fresh and clean.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure