Santander data leak or address book assault ? AKA Direct Debiting Seminar Invite.

Comments

• Since this afternoon I've received THREE copies of the "MVL Company" recruiting email, one sent to an email address I only gave to Alliance & Leicester, one sent to an email address I only gave to Cahoot, and one sent to an email address I only gave to Santander.

Each email had my correct surname as the subject line.

Santander have SERIOUS questions to answer - I'm surprised this thread has been running for so long. How come this isn't major news? It doesn't take a genius to work out what has happened here - so how many customers are affected and what other personal information has been taken? What is at risk?

Likewise here, received the same genuine email from Santander a week or so ago as quoted by LardyCake - this morning received the same MVL offer !

>From: Burgess Catomeris <burgesszsecatomeris@outlook.com>
    >To: <My Email Address with Santander>
    >Subject: <My Surname - no initials>

I'd seen this thread when originally posted but until today not received anything. What additional information other than email contact has been compromised ?

Needs a spotlight shone on it surely.

FF
  • Chris2000
    Chris2000 Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've also had the Natwest Direct Debiting Seminar, Fedex etc. emails to my unique Santander email address but not my cahoot one.

The data leak is relatively recent, I only registered that email domain in 2013.

Someone at Santander must be taking this very seriously.
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Someone at Santander must be taking this very seriously.

Well they refused to listen to my complaint, so not sure ... just denied everything and said that due to data protection they would not share my email details. Except they have...
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
  • bonzer
    bonzer Posts: 399 Forumite
    I received the "MVL Company" spam that contained my surname as the subject line. It was to a unique address only given to Santander (originally to Abbey). My surname does not feature in the e-mail address so they must have the associated names as well.

There's a few people complaining about this on Santander's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/santanderuk?filter=2
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I haven't had the MVL email but I got a couple others about a month ago, also sent to an address only used with Santander

Update Your Natwest Account

DHL.Inc: Delivery Status ID
  • I received the MVL email yesterday to a disposable email I only used for Santander. It was registered on Santander from 7 July 13, when I opened my first account, to 7 Aug 13 when I changed to another email address. The old email was still active which is why the MVL email could be delivered. It addressed me by surname.
  • I received a message yesterday purporting to be from HMRC, with a ZIP file containing a *.exe file.

The address it went to was exclusively registered on santander.co.uk for online banking, no one else has that address and it is not set up on any e-mail client. The IP address the spam originated from seems to be set up on a server in Hanoi, Vietnam.

Calling Santander to report this resulted in the usual blame shifting exercise, so reported it to National Crime Agency.

I wonder how long it will take for Santander to take some action over this breach. Not holding my breath.

Regards
    Karl
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    You could try the Information Commissioner.

I suspect it will actually be one of Santander marketing partners rather than the bank itself where the leak has occurred.
    When we all get marketing and information emails from just about anyone it is never sent from the firms themselves. it will always be from some company acting on behalf of the firm sending out the stuff who do this as their business.

Not that this exempts Santander at all, as it's their responsibility to ensure they and their partners/subcontractor handle all our data securely
    So it will only be the email address compromised - which is bad enough.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Who has experienced what financial loss from these data leaks?

Let's pool resources for a concerted complaint!

please post the date and amount you lost in real money from your account, together with the email address of the scammer and the date of the scammer's email, and the crime reference number you got from the police or from Actionfraud.com.
  • I take you are being sarcastic, Innovate (and apologies if you are not).

Has anyone suggested they have lost money from their Santander account?

However some people may well have had their computer compromised by, for instance, opening a malicious attachment thinking it was from Santander. Those people may not even be aware this has happened to them.

I think the unsolicited email Santander sent out (see my post #45 above for the text) tacitly acknowledges that they (Santander) may have exposed people to this risk by taking insufficient care of personal data (maybe I'm wrong).

Personally, it is just another bit of spam caught in my mail filters and I think it a complete waste of time to complain and/or report to anyone, because no one can or will be able to do anything to catch those responsible and that the Information Commissioner is as useful as a chocolate teapot in protecting the individual

If your point is that that people should not expect compensation from Santander then I completely agree.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure