Credit check failed twice - but i dont have bad credit!

Nicklt
Nicklt Posts: 319 Forumite
Wasnt sure where to poste this, anyway.

I tried to order a new phone on contract, O2 said i had to pay a £100 deposit, i rejected this and canceled the order. I then phoned vodafone who did a credit check over the phone for me and they said it had come back rejected, i really dont understand why. I've never had debt, never been in arrears, necever had a credit card or loans etc.... also i moved into my new apartment only 6 weeks ago and the letting agent did a credit check on me that came back fine! Anyone know why the mobile companies could be getting a bad credit score for me?

Only idea i have is:

1. Im not yet registered on the electoral register for this address.

2. i have another phone on contract and maybe they dont like you having two(?)

3. Someone in the past month had used my details and got loans etc in my name, (but surely i would heard something by now like the banks etc would of contacted my past addresses one being my parents.)

So yeah any ideas, it's driving me made, i started to £2 credit check with equifax earlier but there phone line close at 5 so i have to wait till tommorow to get it through.
11K Challenge

5,785/11k :)

Comments

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Only moved in for 6 weeks is a fail, not being on the electoral roll is a big fail.

Leave it a while the more fails you get the worse it'll get.

(when they did the credit check for the apartment it would have been at your last address).
  • Nicklt
    Nicklt Posts: 319 Forumite
    thanks Jon, yeah i posted the electoral register forms just now so hopefully that wont take long to sort out. Its a little confusing though because my Partner got a contract phone (today actually) and her credit check came back fine.
    11K Challenge

5,785/11k :)
  • maxtweenie
    maxtweenie Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Only being at your current address for 6 weeks and not being on the electoral register will count against you. Funnily enough, not having a credit card or loan either can count against you as there is no evidence of regular payments. One of the easiest ways to build up your credit rating is to get a credit card with a low limit, and each month buy something and then pay it off in full when the bill comes in. O2 asked my daughter for a £100 'deposit' for her phone contract last summer for exactly the same reasons. She paid it (well, I did anyway!), and they refunded it after 3 months as promised.
  • daggy
    daggy Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    Iknow the exact problem, as I had this problem last year when doing an upgrade and new contract

Essentially, I took out a new contract, but the phone came in an unsealed box (thank you e2save), so I sent it back and cancelled.

I then tried to take out another new contract and it failed. After calling orange credit referrals and think it was mobiles.co.uk, some cpw company several times over a week or so, we managed to get it manually approved.

Essentially the issue is that the system automatically rejects your application as it thinks you are attempting to take out several contracts in a week, anti-fraud thing.

Turns out, that over two weeks there had been 15+ credit checks onmy name (as we attempted to put the contract through several times).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure