Kirby vacuum cleaner scam

Comments

• MyRubyRed
    MyRubyRed Posts: 941 Forumite
    My older sister bought a Kirby vacuum cleaner in the mid '90s, about a thousand dollars (close to $2000 once interest is figured in on a payment plan).

My sister thought she was being clever; her plan was to let the Kirby guy come along and do his demonstration; getting her carpet cleaned for free; and then not buy the vacuum cleaner. She didn't count on the salesman being slick, but slick he was.

We did the same back in the 90's and in hindsight I do feel a bit bad about it.
    And I'm sure it would not happen again in this day and age:o

We got the sales call and agreed to the "free clean". Young guy turns up and vaccuumed our then open plan living and dining room. He then did all of the mattresses in the bedrooms and God love him he was putting his back into it. Anyone who has seen or owns a Kirby from that time will understand that they were not the lightest of machines (No idea how things have moved on since though)

Anyway, this is a Saturday evening and we offer the guy a drink ....tea, coffee, glass of wine? He accepted the latter and a few more and had to leave his car and pick it up next day

Upshot was I got the Kirby for £60 followed by a case of 24 bottles of wine and an offer of a job selling the machines from the salesman's manager.
  • Murielson
    Murielson Posts: 268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Cut to the chase on this guys - is Kirby a vacuum cleaner that you would recommend and, if so, what would you pay for one on ebay?
  • MyRubyRed
    MyRubyRed Posts: 941 Forumite
    Murielson wrote: »
    Cut to the chase on this guys - is Kirby a vacuum cleaner that you would recommend and, if so, what would you pay for one on ebay?
    No I would not recommend it. It was very good but very heavy
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Two and a half grand starting price???!!! F*** me!! Is it hand made from solid platinum and unicorn horn and delivered by Monica Bellucci on a cloud?

I bought an electrolux commercial cleaner (an upright, metal body, double sized bag, last forever quality) brand spanking new for £39 including VAT (which I claimed back, I bought it for my office). Yes, that was a good deal, but blimey, a vacuum cleaner worth more than our car would have to do more than suck dust like my Electrolux!
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My mum had a salesman come to her door and sold her an Electrolux vacuum. This was about 20 years ago. He saw she was using a Kirby (she'd bought it for around £600 new) and he offered her £10 for it - and she took it!

The worse thing was that a few days later I had the same man come to my door offering to sell me a second-hand Kirby for £100.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Two and a half grand starting price???!!! F*** me!! Is it hand made from solid platinum and unicorn horn and delivered by Monica Bellucci on a cloud?

I bought an electrolux commercial cleaner (an upright, metal body, double sized bag, last forever quality) brand spanking new for £39 including VAT (which I claimed back, I bought it for my office). Yes, that was a good deal, but blimey, a vacuum cleaner worth more than our car would have to do more than suck dust like my Electrolux!

Yes, but if you talk to the nice salesman, he will talk to his nice manager who will give you a special discount because he likes you so much.;)
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I see the law has finally caught up with these pushy salesmen:-

Kirby vacuum seller taken to cleaners

One 75 year old widow had two intimidating salesmen in her home for more than four and a half hours and, despite repeatedly telling them she could not afford it, they persisted until she relented and purchased the cleaner for £1,400, vastly more than it was worth. She was even told if she did not buy the new Kirby she would have respiratory problems.

Note the phrase "vastly more than it was worth".
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    "...trading as Premier Finance GB Ltd..." - if ever you needed evidence they're not about the vacuum cleaners!!!
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    edited 24 January 2011 at 2:04AM
    In my younger days, I rented a room of a girl I knew from the pub

There were 2 girls and me in the house and Jayne ( The owner) was on extended sick leave from work. She was really bored being at home all the time and when she got a leaflet through the door re Kirby cleaners, she must have thought that '' well it's someone to talk to' so arranged a visit. The promise of a £500 holiday voucher also entised her.

Anyway, the day arrived and she pleaded with me to stay and help her out, she only wanted the voucher.

The salesman arrived and started his demo. There was a lovely clean 2' x 2' patch of carpet in the living room after he showed the washing facility. Then he wanted to go upstairs and hoover the matresses. She wouldnt let him in her room, cos she was a messy cow, so said ''do his'' , meaning me. My comment was, I dont want to know what is in my bed, thankyou, if you showed me what came off my matress, I wouldn't sleep in it again. He was being very persistant at this stage after 2 hours

I ended up telling him that he was only invited for the holiday voucher, and if he wanted to fill in an order with finance for her, he could do so, but I would be surprised if it passed as she was declared bankrupt 3 months ago ! I only rented a room off her, what did I need a kirby for? If that failed, I was going to make a pass at him, as he was permanently looking down Jaynes top at her cleavage, So I knew what side he batted for !

I think he left the house in 5 minutes flat, and didnt leave the holiday voucher either.

Silly cow had to rent a carpet cleaner from the supermarket to lessen the effect of the newly cleaned square on the lounge carpet!

If you want to buy a new cleaner, get an Oreck. Mine is 5 years old, bought from QVC, is so light, you can lift it with your little finger and the bags are so big , it takes you 6 months to fill one. The handheld cleaner too can lift a bowling ball up, as the advert shows, have tried it ! It is the only cleaner I have had which picks up every bit of hair from my retriever/ german shepard cross, who moults permanently, the cat just sits on it when you use it, must be like Alton Towers for him !:rotfl:
  • cgk1
    cgk1 Posts: 1,300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    McKneff wrote: »
    Vacuum cleaners are vacuum cleaners, They are not Hoovers, Hoover is a brand name, like Dyson or Panasonic.

Kirby have been around and their tactics since adam were a lad.

You are right and wrong, Hoover like Sellotape, asprin, Kerosene, Memory Stick and others is what is called a ' genericised trademark' where the name has become a colloquial or generic description for the whole class of products.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure