EDF Back Billing Code

Hello New to this forum and need some help re EDF, I recieved a bill yesterday for ...wait for it £2,8881.10p ! Had a letter from them the previous week telling me there would be a higher bill coming though, but never expected this. The EDF are saying that for 7 years I have had estimated bills and this is an accurate reflection of what i owe them. I have lived in this flat for almost 7 years and have had meter readings over that period, 7 in total and EDF even gave me those dates of reading, not by me but but the meter guy. They are saying I am responsible for this amount and they will give me 2 years to pay it back with payment arrangements to be sorted. Considering it took 7 for them to realise this and then billing me, I just do not know where i stand with this. Someone told me about the "back billing" code and that they can only back bill for 1 year but they are saying that the fact is they have been billing me and i have been paying so that the ruling DOES NOT apply. I am completely at a loss of what to do now so any help here would be great. Thanks guys Ann

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    grannydoll wrote: »
    Considering it took 7 for them to realise this and then billing me, I just do not know where i stand with this. Someone told me about the "back billing" code and that they can only back bill for 1 year but they are saying that the fact is they have been billing me and i have been paying so that the ruling DOES NOT apply. I am completely at a loss of what to do now so any help here would be great. Thanks guys Ann

They're right - the back billing applies when you have done your best to set up an account and not received any bills. I don't think you are entitled to any more than time to pay, which they are offering.

You are correct in being cross that they have had seven years to 'realise this', but so have you. Customers also have a responsibility to check meter readings against bills.

One thing to check - are you being billed for all this at today's prices?
  • HI Thanks for your prompt reply, maybe NOT the answer I wanted to hear but thanks anyway. As for pricing I did discuss that with them today and they have now taken off approximately £900 bringing the bill outstanding to just under 2 thousand. Maybe I was niave in thinking that bill readers are there to do a job and there was no need for me to also do it. Hard lesson to learn! Thanks again
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Have I read this right.....
    EDF agree that the meter has been read and were able to provide you with the dates.
    Are they also able to provide the readings taken........if so, why have they not used these readings when issuing a bill?

Do all of use bills use estimated start and end figures?

I think I would try writing to EDF and asking why they have not used the readings taken.
    It may not reduce your bill, but there's no harm in asking.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Hi Whatatwit, Yes you are reading it correctly,I have had 7 reading in 6 and a half years. Not only did EDF give me all the dates of my readings but they also gave me the reading numbers so they have them all and yet it has taken all this time (7 years almost) to send this massive bill. I do realise now that I should have kept a closer eye on the billing but I work full time and am out long hours and live alone so its me whos using it only and I paid the bills whtn they came in quarterly and the ammounts all varied. They also gave me all the dates and amounts of bills I have paid. I am about to loose my job in the next few months and dont need this added stress but also want to sort it as best I can. Thanks again for all help.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    It does seem odd that they had meter readings but didn't use them. Npower used to annoy me because I'd submit readings but they'd use their inaccurate estimates, but I've not heard of a supplier repeatedly rejecting actual readings. Maybe the 'estimated' readings only apply to the last couple of years, and those before were actual readings. Did the readings on the bill say actual or estimated and did you supply customer readings for estimated bills?
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If it can be proven that a company did get actual reads and did not use them this can also come under the 12 month backbilling. I would take this further.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Joyful wrote: »
    If it can be proven that a company did get actual reads and did not use them this can also come under the 12 month backbilling. I would take this further.

I agree with the above.

The problem is that 'The Computer' will reject a meter reading that it 'thinks' is incorrect(normally a meter misread) and substitute a estimated reading.

That estimated reading becomes the 'standard' for the computer program in calculating your consumption.

When it gets the next meter reading the discrepancy is even greater, so it disregards that reading and substitutes a further estimated reading etc etc etc.

So I would certainly take this further.
  • fosters25
    fosters25 Posts: 18 Forumite
    I had the same experience with EDF Electricity. Received backcharge notice in 2007 of over £5,000 even though I had supplied readings. they said they had assumed my readings were in error.

After 3 letters to EDF, gradually escalating to different levels in the company I got some results. First offer was 20% reduction. I refused. More letters and a 30% reduction. I refused again.

I contacted Energy Ombudsman. After receiving from EDF what the ombudsman calls a "deadlock letter" or one where they refuse to budge any further, I wrote to Ombudsman, copied to EDF, asking for their help. I got an offer of 50% reduction from EDF, which I accepted and agreed to pay back over 2 years.

The argument that the Energy companies are only allowed 2 years backcharges (in 2007) worked.

Unfortunately I am about to embark on same process again with EDF Gas, who want to backcharge me £8,500 over 5 years!!

So, write the letters, be persistent, do not accept the first few offers, and involve the ombudsman. I would suggest you should go for an 85% reduction (agreeing to pay for 1 of the 7 years). I would say you would have a good chance, at least based on my experience.
  • marluc
    marluc Posts: 160 Forumite
    Hi.
    Do you have contact details for "someone high up at EDF Energy"? As i switched from EDF Energy last summer and then received a bill for £390 for outstanding usage of gas. I contacted them and they replied that as 2 bills had been estimates, including a customer reading, this is what I owed. Despite several phone calls and E.On getting involved, EDF have reduced the amount to £315. My point is that I do not owe this money, as although I was on the same tarriff with E.On, they have reduced my DD by £30 per month, stating that I was paying too much.
    I have now received a letter stating they are now going to start legal proceedings.
    Hope someone has got some advice.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    marluc wrote: »
    Hi.
    Do you have contact details for "someone high up at EDF Energy"? As i switched from EDF Energy last summer and then received a bill for £390 for outstanding usage of gas. I contacted them and they replied that as 2 bills had been estimates, including a customer reading, this is what I owed. Despite several phone calls and E.On getting involved, EDF have reduced the amount to £315. My point is that I do not owe this money, as although I was on the same tarriff with E.On, they have reduced my DD by £30 per month, stating that I was paying too much.
    I have now received a letter stating they are now going to start legal proceedings.
    Hope someone has got some advice.

It is not clear from your post why you believe you don't owe EDF 'this money'.

The level of your DD with EON is not proof that you do not owe EDF.

To prove you do not owe EDF money you need to be able to give them a solid reason e.g. their meter readings are incorrect.

If the 'start' meter reading with EON is the same as the 'end' meter reading with EDF,(as it obviously should be) it is difficult to see how you can challenge the EDF bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure