how many nights can a b/friend stay whilst on benefits?

cher1977
cher1977 Posts: 961 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 22 December 2011 at 2:53PM in Benefits & tax credits
post has been deleted by cher1977cher1977cher1977
:p

Comments

• SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    I have been checking and found that unless he actually lives with me,has bills sent here then it does not matter how many nights he stays. So which is right??

No thats wrong.

There is no "set amount" of nights your partner can sleep, each set of circumstances will be judged on their own merits.

Its not about bills etc being sent, its seeing if there is a financial link between you.

For example is he employed? Or on benefits too? If he is on benefits and stays at yours then it could be argued he needs less support at home (as you are sharing a roof/heating etc). See my point?

Bozo
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It's to do with you living as a couple. If he's with you for a 'reasonable' amount of time per week the DWP will expect him to contribute towards food etc at your house, and for you to declare the money. Otherwise, he could effectively live with you for free, have his bills sent to mom, keep his wages, and have you pay the bills with your benefit money, which is a little unreasonable.

What is reasonable is hard to say, as the DWP investigate patterns of staying over, as well as length of time, and financial links ie grocery shop etc. I think the 3 days thing became a standard answer because it is not most of the week, but isn't actually a definate safe number.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Hiya,
    My brothers gfriend had a council house and he was aloud to stay there 4 nights a week before she had to pay the ful council tax.
    If you go on your councils and inland revenue it should tell you there x
  • Dont listen to these folk who say "You can have them over 2, 3 or 4 nights a week"......they are wrong.

There is no set time.

They look at your financial situation and whether he is contributing or whether you are providing for him ie a roof, hot water, warmth. that kind of thing.

For example.....if you were dating a millionaire who never stayed a night at your house you still might have benefits stopped if the DWP determin that you are gettting some help from him.
  • I wish I could afford a Sunday Roast. But unfortunately, I work which means I can't afford it.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    cher1977 wrote: »
    thanks for all who have replied to this. He does work yes, but does NOT pay anything to me whatsoever-- he does not eat at mine apart from maybe an occasional sunday roast.
    he usually comes over after having had tea at home about 8:30pm and leaves at 6:30am for work only 3 times a week max.

If hes staying that frequently he should WANT to contribute, hes there half the week. If he stays anymore, he will be there most of the week.

IF he doesn't want to contribute, then I be very doubtful of him as a man. Because he (without meaning to be rude) sounds like a freeloader
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    I wish I could afford a Sunday Roast. But unfortunately, I work which means I can't afford it.

If you are unable to afford a Sunday roast, I would suggest that you post on the Moneysaving Old Style board, rather than trying to disrupt another thread.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MrsE wrote: »
    If hes staying that frequently he should WANT to contribute, hes there half the week. If he stays anymore, he will be there most of the week.

IF he doesn't want to contribute, then I be very doubtful of him as a man. Because he (without meaning to be rude) sounds like a freeloader

Jeepers creepers.

He's been going out with her for 8 months, is crashing round her place a couple of times a week, isn't costing her anything...and she's supposed to ask him for money? How does that conversation go?

"can you give me some money please"
    "what for?"
    "the heating"
    "Eh?"
    "while you're round here, you're making use of the heating."
    "but it would be on anyway"
    "yes, I know, but I think you should pay for some, anyway"
    "err...but *you* don't actually pay for the heating, anyway?"
    "err...no...bye"

A "real man" will offer to contribute for things he's cost someone.
    A *mug* will spontaneously offer to pay for stuff for the hell of it.
  • SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    Jeepers creepers.

He's been going out with her for 8 months, is crashing round her place a couple of times a week, isn't costing her anything...and she's supposed to ask him for money? How does that conversation go?

"can you give me some money please"
    "what for?"
    "the heating"
    "Eh?"
    "while you're round here, you're making use of the heating."
    "but it would be on anyway"
    "err...but *you* don't actually pay for the heating, anyway?"
    "err...no...bye"

A "real man" will offer to contribute for things he's cost someone.
    A *mug* will spontaneously offer to pay for stuff for the hell of it.

Hogwash

With a real gentleman it would be like this....

"That Sunday Roast was nice, next time let me take you out and treat you, save the cooking and washing"
    "No, I cant that means you paying and linked financially"
    "Ok, let me at least buy the roast of meat"
    "No, sorry"
    "Ok, let me bring the wine"
    "You can't"
    "Can I wash up?"
    "Yes - but Ive not got any washing up liquid"
    "I'll pick some up - no wait, thats not allowed"
    "Look, since I am around here 3 nights a week, your cooking my food etc, let me give you some money, or at least let me pick up your shopping bill"
    "No thanks I dont want or need anything"
    "But this is a relationship, your on benefits, let me help you out"
    "No, I want no help,"

LOL

Bozo
  • why don't you just declare that you occasionally have a BF round to stay to the DWP.

Let them decide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport