Say No to 0870!

Comments

• rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I haven't read all of this thead so I may be repeating something already printed so appologies if that be the case but I thought this might prove useful...

How to obtain the geographical numbers from companies that insist on giving out 0870 Nos.

If you call or email the organisation and explain that you're going abroad, so you need a geographical number to call when overseas. Then simply replace the "44" at the start of this number with a zero and you have its UK equivalent! Also, you can use the new Freedom of Information Act to obtain geographical numbers for local government, NHS and other State bodies.

Once you have obtained the number be sure to go to the 'Say no to 0807 ' site and post the number that you get.

Riz
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    rizla01 wrote:
    I haven't read all of this thead so I may be repeating something already printed so appologies if that be the case but I thought this might prove useful...

How to obtain the geographical numbers from companies that insist on giving out 0870 Nos.

If you call or email the organisation and explain that you're going abroad, so you need a geographical number to call when overseas. Then simply replace the "44" at the start of this number with a zero and you have its UK equivalent! Also, you can use the new Freedom of Information Act to obtain geographical numbers for local government, NHS and other State bodies.

Once you have obtained the number be sure to go to the 'Say no to 0807 ' site and post the number that you get.

Riz

This does not always work I have come accross companies whose overseas number is 44 (0) 870********** Therefore replacing the 44 still gives an 0870 number. Also what about companies that don`t operate via overseas? i.e does Argos have an overseas number?

Do you know if your suggestion,which is public knowledge on this site, works with Inland Revenue, NHS Direct, etc?
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It is possible to call +44870 from abroad, only not from the cheapest operators; a point which is likely to fall on these people's deaf ears.

In the same way you could ring a French 0892 number eg Etap Hotel via some methods but not all. I had to ring from my mobile while roaming. Using my UK calling card access abroad, or 18866 from here, did not work.
  • hcmix
    hcmix Posts: 9 Forumite
    I've found the online directory enquiries companies (including BT) really useful. My dentist gave me an 0870 number - he's also just gone from NHS to private - so I got the geographical number off BT.

It's disgusting that companies (large or small) who are already making fat profits out of people insist on making you pay to call them and ask for help.

The saynoto0870 website has been great for me, I called the DVLA today on a freephone number and got through to someone without a problem.
  • Forgive my naivety but Im new to all of this and have never used chat forums etc. Having read the articles about so called non geographic numbers ,I have today written to all the companies that I have a commercial relationship with who use 0870 numbers and cancelled membership, subscriptions etc. In the letters I have pointed out that I have deliberatly avoided using a stamp thus hopefully forcing the recipetent to incur extra costs.Am I doing anything illegal and can I be taken to task for it.
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Forgive my naivety but Im new to all of this and have never used chat forums etc. Having read the articles about so called non geographic numbers ,I have today written to all the companies that I have a commercial relationship with who use 0870 numbers and cancelled membership, subscriptions etc. In the letters I have pointed out that I have deliberatly avoided using a stamp thus hopefully forcing the recipetent to incur extra costs.Am I doing anything illegal and can I be taken to task for it.
    Well done ! :T This is certainly drastic action and more than most of us are prepared to take. As for the legality, I think it is illegal to post a letter without a stamp on, but hey, are they going to prosecute, I doubt it!
    These rip-off companies that make us use 0870 numbers are often those with whom we are doing business and it is the only means of contact. They don't always have an e-mail address. I make a point of telling the "person" when I finally get through after listening to all the rubbish and options, how disgusted I am at the phone costs and always ask them to phone me back. Of course they either say that it is a call centre and that they are not allowed to call back, or say they will get somebody to call back and they never do. I actuallly received a letter from one insurance company who I had a policy with asking me to ring them about my complaint, on an 0870 number of course! Needless to say they no longer have my business.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • This will be useful for anyone following the advice on this site re. Roadside Assistance and switching from the AA to a less expensive provider.

My AA renewal quote is £102 pa (or £115.38 by 11 instalments). I've decided to cancel and go for a 'Pay & Reclaim' scheme.

The renewal letter gives 0870 6044 055 for cancelations. There's an extensive lists of contact tel. no's for the various AA depts. at:
    https://www.theaa.com/aboutaa/contact.html
    Some are 0870 and some 0800. The no. for Breakdown Cover (Renewals) is 0800 085 2608.
    I phoned the 0800 no., said I wanted to cancel and was transferred to Cancelations - no problem. Nothing ventured, nothing gained :beer:

I'm posting these no's on the https://www.saynoto0870.com site.

Cheers, Graham B
  • mike_paterson
    mike_paterson Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    andy88 wrote:
    Mike it certainly is shocking that some Vodafone staff either don't know the price of these calls or didn't listen carefully to what you said

0870 calls cost 12p per minute and are specified as not in the included minutes

Andy - you are absolutely right - I have checked my bill and they have charged me 12p per minute. They obviously need to train their staff better !

I am suprised that the phone companies are allowed to hide their charges so well that even their own staff do not know how they are priced !

At least I have not been hit with a hefty Bill !
    To infinity and beyond!
  • Jazzy_B
    Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Anyone know if you can make free 0870 calls using the free 1899 VoIP service?
    I can't find this posted anywhere else. Apologies if I've missed it.
  • GeoThermal
    GeoThermal Posts: 682 Forumite
    Strange that saynoto0870.com have Google adverts advertising companies selling 0870 numbers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure