Upgrade Flights

Insert From Martin

There was an original Great Hunt on how to get a flight upgrade, unfortunately when we switched software to improve the chat forum it was lost. Therefore there is a full summary article of what was said available here

Please continue the discussion below

Just Booked Flights For 4 To Oz For June With Ba Via Singapore
Husband & Son 6'4, Husband With Back Problem
Any Tips To Get Extra Leg Room Or Should We Just Pay The £270/sector To Go World Traveller Plus And Can We Still Do This Now I've Paid Deposit

Also Anyone Know Good Place To Stay In Sydney Near The Rocks,
And In Port Douglas

Comments

• saveapenny
    saveapenny Posts: 6,773 Forumite
    You can call the airline and get your seats but not sure how many days before you travel they allow you to do this so call BA
    Find out which plane operates the routes and then get a seat plane either from http://www.seatguru.com/ or the BA site
    You might get WT+ cheaper when you get to the airport £270 seems alot of money if you can land some of the WT seats with extra leg room for nothing
    If you look anything like your passport photo....Your too ill to travel
  • Seats with extra leg room such as bulkheads and emergency exit seats are only allocated on day of departure. On BA the bulkhead seats are given priority to mothers and children and then to other folks. As your husband has a back problem it could be worth trying to gain a doctors note and seeing what they can do - maybe worth a try - however your husband may not recieve the emergency exit as you have to be "physically fit" to be able to open the doors.

WT+ is worth the money as we really enjoyed it and the seats have more room and you can get loads of sleep on night flights but £270 per sector is quite expensive as they will probably count it as 2 sectors there and 2 sectors back.
    **BERTIE**

Did you Know: It costs more than £325,000 a day to run the lifeboat service? (with no government funding) Please donate to the RNLI
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    However with online check-in, you may have the possibility of nabbing bulkhead / emergency exit seats. I can confirm I've done this in the past.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • margaret_3
    margaret_3 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    You have to be there really early to get a bulkhead seat at check-in.
  • From my experience as a 6ft 4 in man flying with BA - you're stuffed.

31" seat pitch is the worst around and our 'National' carrier offers it.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but BA long haul for a big bloke is the absolute pits.

MTC
  • As a tall bloke (6'3") I wouldn't recommend going for the bulkhead seats. You might get a couple inches extra legroom, but you will have a wall in front of you, so no room to stretch your legs out under the seat in front.

If you want a free upgrade, dress smartly (ie shirt and trousers, definitely not jeans and t-shirt) and get their several hours before the flight. Even then your chances of upgrade are probably less than 10%. If you definitely want the extra room and can afford it then pay for it!
  • Fatboy_NSS

you are correct about getting a bulk head stopping you sliding your legs forward.

But, if you were lucky enough to get a bulkhead seat you could at least get a lot more lateral movement and you would feel a lot less jammed in.

I had the misfortune to travel cattle class with BA from Nairobi - Heathrow. I was incapable of moving my legs in any direction and once the man in front reclined his seat I had the pleasure of my in flight screen less than a hand span from my face for a 9 hour flight. And he had to be woken up to enable me to eat my meal (not enough space for tray to open)

Disgusted

MTC

p.s. i don't know how easy it would be to do but........ find a way to cancel your tickets with BA (mabye under the distance seeling regulations) and rebook your flight with Air New Zealand who would offer you an extra 3" of leg room as standard. It may cost a few quid more, but certainly not £270.00 per section, per person that BA are wanting to charge you. Weigh up the pros and cons. A few extra quid to travel in comfort against possibly losing a few days of your holiday through discomfort brought on by your bad back being restricted by BA's seating policy.

p.s. on a quick search i found Heathrow - Sydney for £753.20 incl tax on Opodo flying with Air Zealand in June.
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thai airways also give you 34 inch leg room. I'm sure they fly to Sydney (via BKK).

If you have a non flexible ticket I think the charge is £200 to cancel your ticket.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • "Seats with extra leg room such as bulkheads and emergency exit seats are only allocated on day of departure."

That is not strictly correct. Those frequent flyer members with 'elite' status can pre-book those seats at the time of booking.

Also those who have a connecting flight can get those seats allocated when they turn up for the first flight - often hours before the desk opens for the main flight. e.g if flight is from London, a passenger flying down from, say, Glasgow can get a emergency exit seat for the flight from London allocated at Glasgow.
    Robert
  • rupenshah is absolutely right and Thai airlines would charge £639.30

MTC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills