How long to get a banker's draft/cheque?

I need to get a banker's draft to pay for deposit on my house and legal fees. I may have to do this at short notice. My bank need 24 hours to send me it. Is that normal? Do other people's banks need notice to provide a draft (also known as a bankers cheque)?

Comments

• oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    I've had to obtain a Bank Cheque on a couple of occasions from smile. When I 'phoned to order it they advised it could take up to three working days (might have been 2 but can't remember exactly!). Both times the cheque did arrive the following day.
    You probably are aware but there is usually a charge for the cheque issue.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,041
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mine (LTSB) takes about 10 minutes for a bankers cheque and about 20 minutes for a bankers draft. Do note that a bankers cheque and bankers draft are two different things.

No notice required although you can speed up the process if you ring in advance as they can get the cheque ready for you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've been asked for 24 hours' notice before but I think that's largely because if you walk into a branch in a lunch hour they may not be enough authorised people to sign/prepare it. I've given that notice on the phone and walked in to collect it without any problems - maybe you can get a sameday service?
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • Sillychuckie
    Sillychuckie Posts: 1,208
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A&L wont do it in the branch. you have to call their head office and they'll post you one. Ridiculous really.
    they charge a tenner, and send it first class (24 hr delivery).
    I guess it varies with each bank.
  • customers can ask for one without notice, it takes about 10 mins to make up - either welcome to wait or very often they call back - just be aware that if its a large sum (ie over £1k) then you'll need secondary Id, the usual being driving licence or passport
  • regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    if the cheque is of a larger amount - i'd recommend taking extra identification with you

and please do not be offended if you are asked what the funds are for - most have to ask to comply with anti money laundering regulations
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,429
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    if the cheque is of a larger amount - i'd recommend taking extra identification with you

and please do not be offended if you are asked what the funds are for - most have to ask to comply with anti money laundering regulations

And replies to avoid probably include 'to pay off my drug dealer' and 'actually the money was just 'resting' in my account and I want clean funds back' :rotfl:

Seriously - for most people it would be either a house or a car wouldn't it? Or if you were doing something dodgy, you'd say it was anyway? One day I'm going to turn to crime and will be successful as I'll apply common sense to it!
  • regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    well they have to ask - what a customer says in reply is up to them - but extra id and security questions will often
    be needed

also if the account the cheque is being drawn on recently had a large credit then questions are most likely to be asked about that

i haven't been a cashier for a good few years - but i had to ask this and i know the cashiers do now too
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    huglebear wrote:
    I need to get a banker's draft to pay for deposit on my house and legal fees.

Trust that's how your Solicitor has asked for it?? May be a Banker's Draft and therefore 'guaranteed' - but he / she still has to clear it before it becomes 'liquid' funds.

Using CHAPS is quicker / cleaner / safer / 'liquid' .....albeit a bit more expensive. See other previous threads on Drafts that have gone AWOL.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • hell there, i need to arrange a bankers draft to pay my letting agent but i only have the id listen below:
    my bank card
    my exspire passport (photographic)
    work id (photographic) with my name and payrole number
    statesments from my bank
    other cards with my name on
    council tax documentation with my name on
    corrispondants from the letting agents to whom i need to wright the draft out to addressed to me.
    eveidently i will be able to answerany security questions
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport