Sim only contract that permits tethering.

Paragon
Paragon Posts: 70 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
Can anyone help me find a Sim only contract with 200+mins, 100+texts, 500mb+ data and specifically allows tethering?

All I have found so far is an O2 Simplicity tariff but that winds up at £21.50 a month but I feel that's a bit pricey.

The only other option I can think of so far is to take up O2 Retentions on their offer of £21.50 a month with 300mins / Unlimited texts / 500Mb data and £59.99 for a HTC Desire S which I could then sell. I don't know how easy it would be to sell the phone or how much I might expect to get for it.
Debt: September 28th 2009 £0!!!!! Finally!
[strike]March 30th 2008 £5,350[/strike]
[strike]September 29th 2008 £7,800[/strike]
[strike]January 1st 2007 £21,000[/strike] (Max debt)
Original DFD target was end Aug 2009

Comments

• kingofherts
    kingofherts Posts: 289 Forumite
    To be honest how far is 500mb going to get you if you both use data on the handset and wish to tether?

Best plan for tethering is the one plan sim from 3
    2000 min 5000 txt 5000 3-3 mins and truly unlimited data for handset and tethering

£25 per month on a 1 month contract
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I can be wrong, but AFAIK using an android phone as a WiFi hotspot is not recognised as tethering.
    At T-mobile/ChitterChatter internet booster available on all tariffs includes unlimited browsing with 500Mb limit on downloading/streaming.
    Also giffgaff - unlimited with FUP.
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    AFAIK, only O2 and 3 allow tethering without extra charges. The "one plan" on 3 is £25 a month, with more minutes and texts that you'll probably ever need and trully unlimited data (no FUP), there's I think around £100 cashback on Quidco for that at the moment. If you're an area that gets a good 3 signal (grab a free PAYG to check!) it might be worth considering depending on how much you use your phone.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • Paragon
    Paragon Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    500Mb would be fine, I haven't got a proper smart phone, only a Nokia C3-01 touch and type, and really all I want is to be able to send and receive emails through Windows Live Mail on my Netbook when I'm in hotels where there is no free wi-fi, or in the back of taxis on long journeys. I don't think my phone does wi-fi hotspots hosting.

Giffgaff specifically prohibit tethering so that won't work.

I'm not going down the 3 One plan route - far too expensive for what I want.
    Debt: September 28th 2009 £0!!!!! Finally!
    [strike]March 30th 2008 £5,350[/strike]
    [strike]September 29th 2008 £7,800[/strike]
    [strike]January 1st 2007 £21,000[/strike] (Max debt)
    Original DFD target was end Aug 2009
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    I tether with my Android phone all the time without a tethering bolt on. It just shows up on your account like your using your phone only the data is like 20-30mb instead of 5-6 mb per time.

But it goes through the data very fast, a 500mb data bundle lasts no time at all and even a few videos on Youtube will have you at the limit in no time. If its for the odd email and facebook then its fine.
  • davehutch
    davehutch Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When I spopke to "3", they told me that, even though they recommend you take out a "1 Plan" for thethering, it's still technically allowed and possible using their Sim only deals, which come with 1GB 300 calls and 3000 texts for £10/month on a 12 month contract.
    I'll certainly ask in a "3" shop before I buy, but for the odd number of web pages and e-mails I'd use it for, 1GB would be fine for me as I have Wi-Fi at home and at work
  • I came across this post whilst searching for exactly the type of deal the original poster was after. Through researching with various companies, I have confirmed the following with Virgin Media (I don't have any TV, phone etc with them, FYI):

Starter SIM Only tariff: 250 mins, unlimited texts, 1gb web and tethering allowed. £10 per month.

Sounds like a winner to me and I'll be switching to this as soon as my current deal runs out.
  • neil40
    neil40 Posts: 753 Forumite
    Giffgaff are bringing a goody bag on 6th November for £10 per month that gets you 250 mins/unlimited texts & 1gb of data which is going to be tetherable.

Neil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport