What food can I take on a plane??

Comments

• boombap
    boombap Posts: 765 Forumite
    I don't feel any shame taking my own booze on board. As long as you're not causing a problem what are they gonna do? Throw you out?!?
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Food is fine to take through security, have done it many times at various airports. It is usually eaten or mostly eaten by the time of getting on the plane though.

Jet2 do frown upon you taking your own beer on board but they only said it to me when they saw the empty cans.

We bought 2 cans of lager in the airport in Bergamo and had them on the plane, when collecting the rubbish a stewardess said that it wasn't allowed but it was way too late by then.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,031
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Given that i move from airside to landside on a daily basis at an airport I can maybe put an end to this guessing game.

You can take anyfood airside, ie through security, as long as its not overly liquid ie soups, melted ice cream etc, you can happily take sarnies and crisps etc without any fear of the jumped up tescos security guard taking your butties away from you, if they do try ask to see their supervisor straight away who will put them right. However liquids over 100mls moving from landside to airside is a no no, however this doesnt stop you purchasing bottles of coke/vodka etc in the airside shops and taking them onboard. Of course you have to mindful that your overhead storage allowance also includes the weight of any bottles etc, and if push come to shove the ground crew could stop you walking on the plane with too many bags, this is a mega rare ocurance though.

Please note the 100ml rule does not apply to baby food/milk etc, in this instance you must:

1. have a baby with you
    2. be willing to taste the milk/food etc.

Remember if it all starts to go a tad pete tong ask to see a supervisor and if things still dont get resolved ask to see the section of their codes of practice which say you can take butties etc.

Remember its in the airports operators best interest for you not to take food landside so they may try there luck with your nosh.

all the best

the bear
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • squee wrote: »
    I don't feel any shame taking my own booze on board. As long as you're not causing a problem what are they gonna do? Throw you out?!?

Probably not (long drop :rotfl: ) but how embarressing to have it confiscated in front of fellow passengers. It's an offence and if you want to take the risk then so be it. Personally, I'd rather buy it on the plane (even though it's a rip off) than have it confiscated. Each to their own.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,031
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The word offence keeps being banged about but what offence is this precisely?

Typically stewadesses dont give a fig about how much you drink as long as you buy it from them, hell i've had to step in on several fights in the baggage hall where the people could barely stand up because they were so pished, and consider if you had 4 or 5 pints before you got on the flight then you bought 2 shots off of each hostie you would be good to go and they would no different.

Just a thought

all the best

the bear
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • Aidenr wrote: »
    that is soo funny.
    however, I know on the airline that I work for it is an offence to drink your own booze !
    I know first choice etc charge, but we dont. I am pretty sure that it is not just our airline that do not allow it. I think it is the case on all airlines and the crew member may not have known you had booze.

I would recommend checking before cracking open a bottle of cheap voddy

A

Does this help Phatbear? Are you saying that airlines allow customers to consume their own achohol on flights :confused: Isn't it displayed in the Duty Free shops that it isn't allowed!
  • Marty_J
    Marty_J Posts: 6,594 Forumite
    fruity1 wrote: »
    Probably not (long drop :rotfl: ) but how embarressing to have it confiscated in front of fellow passengers. It's an offence and if you want to take the risk then so be it. Personally, I'd rather buy it on the plane (even though it's a rip off) than have it confiscated. Each to their own.

An "offence"?!?

Will you go to EasyJet jail?
  • Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    Even though it's probably quite expensive "airside" to buy munchies and water but I'm glad we have at least that option. I'd know next time I'd fly I'd probably get nibbles and a cold drink before I board a plane.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • An "offence

Right so this is my offence.

right i know it is an offence to drink my own booze on the plane, but i'm a sensible drinker, and over the 4 hour flight i drank 2 minatures, well diluted with diet coke.

I used my own plastic glass, and as i'd taken my minatures with me, i knew how much i was drinking.

Now first choices offence.

Your only allowed to bring back 200 cigs from turkey, that is the rule.

But the airhostess was more than happy to take £28 off me for a 400 pack of l&b, infact i asked for 200 at a cost of £19 until, the airhostess pointed out that i could buy 200 more for an extra £9.
  • You can take anyfood airside, ie through security

thanks for that, i didn't think that i'd imagined my packed lunch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure