Newly Skimmed walls and ceilings - how do i paint them?

Comments

• Agree with djohn!!!
    I had my hallway and sitting room done a couple of months ago and was advised by the plasterer to just paint with white (or magnolia depending what colour the finished room is going to be!) contract emulsion (no watering down).
    The only way i can imagine that the paint would "slide" is if the plaster wasnt properly dry.

coffeeandfags
  • rammy007
    rammy007 Posts: 1,050
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    just had ours done and was told by the plasterer to use the cheapest white or magnolia paint first and they were ok,(our walls were pva`d before skimming)
  • Malestrom
    Malestrom Posts: 983 Forumite
    Curlytop wrote:
    The new plaster in our house had an almost mirror-like finish

Thats where your problem lies, the plasterer 'polished' the wall which will prevent paint from being absorbed properly. Anyone who is going to paint a newly plastered wall needs to ask the plasterer NOT to polish it.
    He huihuinga taangata he pukenga whakaaro – A meeting of people; a wellspring of ideas (Maori proverb)
  • Whenever I paint newly plastered walls, in places the plaster comes away on the roller (like a blister would on your heel). Does anyone know what causes this and how to prevent it.

Thanks.
    There's no woman sicker than the woman who is sick on her day off !
  • stevie_show
    stevie_show Posts: 87 Forumite
    the most important thing is Do NOT USE VINYL emulsion on the miscoat, as said before the plaster sucks out the moisture this leaves the vinyl on the wall, so the next coat wont stick, it can slide off the wall, if you can find contractors paint that is best.
  • mariauk
    mariauk Posts: 1,340
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi

"Just been throught the miserable experience of having our 1860's home skimmed from top to bottom (still clearing the dust - don't know where it all comes from)". I have full sympathy and I only had the old Larve ceiling replaced and I have never seen so much dust! It was chaos for weeks. My question is, Do you need to prepare newly plastered walls before you use lining paper as my daughters room is a combination of new and old plaster? Thanks

Maria :confused:
    :drool: :dance: Timberlake Hussy Clique Member No 3 :dance: :drool:
  • orainsear
    orainsear Posts: 323 Forumite
    If you are going to be putting up any ceramic wall tiles you need to pva (using a mixture of pva and water) any fresh plaster. This provides a decent bonding surface. If you are simply painting fresh plaster the advice of using paint mixed with water is sound (make sure its a matt paint and not vinyl). To be honest I have never had any real problems painting on fresh plaster apart from the fact that it sucks it up like a sponge!
  • rammy007 wrote: »
    just had ours done and was told by the plasterer to use the cheapest white or magnolia paint first and they were ok,(our walls were pva`d before skimming)
    was given same advice as you ref the cheap emulsion by our builder but was told to avoid the PVA
  • marmionlad wrote: »
    was given same advice as you ref the cheap emulsion by our builder but was told to avoid the PVA

Ive just skimmed a room in my 1900's house and used dilute PVA before skimming, then the skim, after 3-4 days applied a sealer from B&Q, then a base coat, then emulsion. It seems to have worked fine but have I made a big mistake?:eek:
  • New plaster DOESN'T need sanding down first! Or PVA!
    That will take away the good finish that a decent plasterer has created.
    Use a decent roller and cover all the walls with a decent "Contract" emulsion diluted to 50/50 or even as low as 30 paint/70water with a good quality emulsion. You just need to seal the new plaster with this coat and if you try anything thicker than 50/50 you wont get any better finish and the plaster will be absorbing the paint as fast as you can apply it and will make it hard work.
    If you do this to all the rooms first then the first one is ready for the next coat which, again, if you buy a good quality paint you can apply 2 coats diluted to 30 water/70paint and should get a really good finish.
    You sound like you haven't done this before so one more tip.
    Get yourself a 1" or 1 1/2" paint brush and go round all the edges first, door frames, ceiling etc (cutting in) to avoid making a mess with the roller.
    Another tip. Always brush and roll in the same direction as much as possible.

Totally agree why would you pay a fortune for a plasterer to get a good surface to paint for you to go and sand it :huh: my mate who is a plasterer of 35 years experience says any customer of his who sands his hard work gets sanded too. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure