When exactly does child benefit/child tax credit end?

Comments

• patix
    patix Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi, I'm very new to this and slightly confused to say the least, however, the problem I have is that my daughter who is 17 (18 in June) is currently doing her A levels in sixth form at school. She will be going to Uni in September to do a nursing degree. Can someone please tell me when her child benefit will end ?:confused:
  • sarflee
    sarflee Posts: 375 Forumite
    Usually, the first Monday in September, after the child has ceased full time education, unless they work an average of over 24 hours a week.
  • space_rider
    space_rider Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    patix wrote: »
    Hi, I'm very new to this and slightly confused to say the least, however, the problem I have is that my daughter who is 17 (18 in June) is currently doing her A levels in sixth form at school. She will be going to Uni in September to do a nursing degree. Can someone please tell me when her child benefit will end ?:confused:

I phoned tax credits the day my daughter did her last exam as she would be going to uni in September and she was then 18. The tax credits stopped immediately and so did the child benefit.
  • windswept wrote: »
    My daughter will be 18 in May and will be going to Uni in September - I was (mistakenly ) under the impression that we would continue to get CB/CTC until she was 19 but on checking the direct.gov site, it states that we are only eligible whilst she is doing her A levels and not when she starts her degree - talk about a kick in the teeth! So not only does she (and we) have all the expense of starting University , but the £100 or so per month which would have gone a little way towards this for the first few months will not be there:mad: .
    So will the money stop the minute she leaves college, or does it run till the end of August? The website is about as clear as mud.:rolleyes: To say I am unimpressed is an understatement.
    I`m sorry to ask this but did you expect that she would get maintenance grant and student loan(around£2000 per term)plus bursary(upto £500 per term)PLUS c/b and ctc?
  • Woodbine, this thread is 14 months old so there's probably no point in replying to the OP.

If you notify TCO that your child is going to University, the CTC is supposed to run until 31st August. If your child has left college/school and doesn't go on to University, the CTC will end from the last date of school term or last exam.

When you call TCO to inform them you are best to call them on 31st august and remind them you were told that it runs until 31st August as your child is going on to university.
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Woodbine, this thread is 14 months old so there's probably no point in replying to the OP.

If you notify TCO that your child is going to University, the CTC is supposed to run until 31st August. If your child has left college/school and doesn't go on to University, the CTC will end from the last date of school term or last exam.

When you call TCO to inform them you are best to call them on 31st august and remind them you were told that it runs until 31st August as your child is going on to university.

I followed subsonics advice re this last year and that was exactly what happened.
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • space_rider
    I`ll remember that for when my 17 year old finishes her A levels next year!
  • Woodbine, this thread is 14 months old so there's probably no point in replying to the OP.

silly me:rotfl:i really should check the first post:j
  • suzey1
    suzey1 Posts: 37 Forumite
    My eldest son left school after his A levels finished in June 2007 and my tax credits ran til August 31st for my eldest son in 2007.

However, I have just contacted the Tax Credit Office and informed them that my youngest son is due to leave school after finishing his A levels in June. I also informed them that he will be going to Uni in September. They told me that my child tax credits will stop the day he leaves school and not the end of August and that these rules have changed from last year.
    I can't find any info this year, about the tax credits being paid til the end of August.
    If anybody has any other info I would much appreciate it as I am quite surprised that it ends in June not the end of August as it previously did.
  • space_rider
    suzey1 wrote: »
    My eldest son left school after his A levels finished in June 2007 and my tax credits ran til August 31st for my eldest son in 2007.

However, I have just contacted the Tax Credit Office and informed them that my youngest son is due to leave school after finishing his A levels in June. I also informed them that he will be going to Uni in September. They told me that my child tax credits will stop the day he leaves school and not the end of August and that these rules have changed from last year.
    I can't find any info this year, about the tax credits being paid til the end of August.
    If anybody has any other info I would much appreciate it as I am quite surprised that it ends in June not the end of August as it previously did.

My daughters ended the week she finished her last exam and that was around this time 2007. It was no big deal as she had a Saturday job and I had increased my working hours from the 1st of June as I was expecting to lose the tax credits for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure