PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Comments

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Morning toughies

Damp and dismal here, really need a few days of dry weather to get the driveway full of pallets dried out and cut up, got another 6 in the car so will start on those if it dries up later.

Spent 4 hours dismantling half the kitchen yesterday in order to get my new dishwasher connected, we didn't think we could fit one in but found a slimline one that just about does. I've always said we'd do without getting one but when you do a lot of cooking it's fab to be able to load it up and get it going whilst you're busy with the next lot of cooking. DH tries to help with the dishes and sits on his stool at the sink but when he has a spasm he drops what he's holding, I end up clearing out broken china/glass from the sink and soaking up all the splashed water so it takes twice as long.

Had a new charity shop open in town and everything was great prices, I nearly cleared their bedding and textil rails with loads of suitable patchwork and quilting fabrics, I worked it out as just over 39 metres of fabric for £6. :T

Stilt walker, hope you and your family have a wonderful day. We catered our own wedding and it went down a storm.

Kidcat - thanks x on the mend, still coughing for England and deaf in one ear thanks to my defective sinuses but feeling able to get on with life.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Morning all

fuddle, that looks gorgeous, I'm a little envious, but you'll all enjoy it! Going on a coach is fairly cost-effective, gives you more cash for your accommodation or to spend - win/win as far as I can see; anyway it's you going, not your mum! :D I know what you mean about armchair experts, too, my family's full of them. I've stopped listening to a lot of it, as it's not good for my mental health, IYKWIM! :rotfl: Hide your home brew if you're saving it for Christmas, it would be so sad if your hard work disappeared! :D

We have to buy 4 new tyres for the car, will be close to £200, but they're only just legal and I'm dreading icy roads, so will have to pare down the budget the next couple of weeks.

At my WI group last night we did Christmas crafts, picked up some new ideas to use bits and bobs I have so it was worth going. :)

Off to a local playgym with a friend and her 2 littlies today, not too dear (free squash for children) but she wants to go for lunch, too, so hope it's not a dear do! She's a good friend but despite a much lower income than recent years she still tends to spend higher, then worry later! :eek:

Haven't read that cooking article yet, but intrigued now! Can cook a lot of things fairly well, have had some disasters, but love having a go at new things and enjoy making for other people, so happy with that. Used to read DM a lot, but seems like a regular red-top now, very scaremongering, try not to read any silly stories now as they just make me cross/poorly!

kidcat - scones - just jam please, I'm trying very hard to be good! Thank you very much. :D

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    [QUOTE=lisakay;56939347
    he also has arthritis in both hips and is really struggling with the pain.
    DH agreed to no more beer and to cut back on meat portions (he would happily eat 3 or 4 pork chops in one meal:eek: he'll now be getting one and only one!!)
    [/QUOTE]

happy new thread everyone :) gosh little did I know in 2006 that `tough` would still be going

lisakay re the arthritis, which is a very bad inflammation. Several foodstuffs are triggers
    http://theconsciouslife.com/top-10-inflammatory-foods-to-avoid.htm

Other foods `dampen` inflammtions, just google if you want to make a list
  • SDG31000
    SDG31000 Posts: 1,009
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello everyone :). What a lovely new thread.

I have read the article about cooking and age and the only one I can't do is make pasta from scratch, but I probably could. I just don't have the work top space for rolling it out. I might have to have a go on my dining room table. My friend has a pasta machine that I can borrow.
    Personally I think that "research" is a load of cods wallop. My mom is 65 and can't even make a cake using a packet mix, let alone make sauces and use herbs.
    Today I am in the shop until 1pm and plan to spend the rest of the day knitting. I want to knit the other front panel of the cardigan I am making before Tuesday and my Knit and Natter group. One of the ladies is going to teach me how to knit both sleeves at once using two needles and two balls of wool. I also need to ask the knitters on here if anyone has a pattern for a ladies waistcoat/sleeveless top using chunky wool. I have 500g of gorgeous tweed wool I want to knit next, but the patterns I have use much more wool. I might have to find some more that will match in to do parts of it.
    I had better get my bottom in gear and find something for breakfast that my stomach might let me eat.

Take care and I hope you have clear skies and no rain stiltwalker :)
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Cheapskate you've reminded me I think we need 2 new tyres and they are expensive ones. Plus I still haven't got the back light fixed so am avoiding driving at night! Can't get it done today but definitely a weekend job.
    Pooky glad you're feeling slightly better at least. Bet you've deliberately got all your pots messy so you can put them in the dishwasher!
    Fuddle your chalet/caravan looks great, love the deck. You'll have a fab time. Very odd reaction by your mum, can't see why going to Paris is any better than going to the south of France?! If she thinks it is, I can only assume she hasn't been to the south of France! There is a lot of really helpful info on the net about the campsites in the south, so worth a peruse on Tripadvisor to read the comments or even Mumsnet if you haven't already. Useful stuff about good places to buy your baguettes etc.
    Kidcat sorry filling in the forms triggers your allergies. :(
    GQ - one of our nicest ever holidays (pre-kids) was in Scotland. Rather embarassingly I actually won it from OK Magazine (you may not believe this but it was one of the magazines I used to have to screen for naughty pictures before we imported them to Japan) - a stay in a lovely hotel in Inverness and a hired land rover. We hired the car for another few days and drove over to Skye to stay at the Three Chimneys hotel and that gorgeous drive, and the gorgeous Three Chimneys was one of the best few days of my life. It was also what prompted us to move out of London so it was a life-changer.
    I reckon the scenery between Inverness and Skye is up there with some of the best scenery in the world.

Well it looks like lovely wedding weather here!
  • Morning to all,

Wishing Stiltwalker a lovely day today - hope it stays dry!
    Please don't anyone get too worried by the scaremongering about the change from DLA to PIP. No-one will have their claims cancelled in 2013, that's just the first cut-off point whereby folks will be assessed for benefit under the new criteria (although under 16's and over 64's will still get DLA). There is no evidence to state that folks will be 20% less well off - each person will be asssessed as before. Adults currently receiving DLA will be asked to apply for PIP as their DLA awards come to an end, and those will lifetime awards will probably be re-assessed in 2017,as these are being left until last.

The 20% less figure actually refers to the supposed amount of people overall that they hope will be found well enough not to need benefits, but this is just conjecture as we won't know until larger numbers of folks have their claims processed.

WCS
  • castleton
    castleton Posts: 320
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Possession _ this is just a suggestion, but my husband always buys 1 jacket to 2 pairs of trousers. The suit lasts much longer as the trousers wear out before the jacket. Good Luck to your hubby
  • Bigjenny
    Bigjenny Posts: 601
    First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    edited 2 November 2012 at 9:31AM
    Wishng you every happiness for a wonderful day Stiltwalker and family

I love scones but will have to decline as I need to loose the 7lb I gained whilst foot was in cast :( cast had now been removed :j
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2012 at 9:29AM
    There's not many places I haven't seen on the West Coast of Scot and I agree, stunning scenery. Applecross is worth a visit, as is Skye ( a love of mine too :) beautiful yarn shop there) The Northern parts of Isle of Arran are gorgeous, (we got married there) a mosey on around Loch Lomond and Trossachs are well worth a visit. My favourite? Fort William and my absolute favoutite camp site at the foot of Ben Nevis (Glen Nevis) Beautiful white sands? Clear blue water? Try Mallaig - when it's sunny you would be seriously think you were in the carribean... no kidding! (with seafood restaurants galore ;) )
  • JENNY - You do mean the cast don't you - not the FOOT!!!!!!! Cheers Lyn xxx.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure