PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Josslette
    Josslette Posts: 554 Forumite
    meg72 wrote: »
    I have a stockpile of tinned potatoes (20 tins) which I only use in stew normally, has anyone any recipes for using these please.

I've heard that tinned potatoes are very nice diced up and saut!ed in butter/oil. Could be nice with garlic/herbs added.

Could be good used in corned beef hash?
    September Grocery Challenge £0/£225
  • £49 for my first week shop, this has to last till next weekend other than milk and bread top ups
  • meg72 wrote: »

I have a stockpile of tinned potatoes (20 tins) which I only use in stew normally, has anyone any recipes for using these please.

I like to drain and blitz them until coarse to make salsa, or blend them until a bit finer and use as a base for pasta sauces or a pizza topping.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Josslette wrote: »
    I've heard that tinned potatoes are very nice diced up and saut!ed in butter/oil. Could be nice with garlic/herbs added.

Could be good used in corned beef hash?

Oh thank you yes I do think will work well in cornbeef hash.
    I have used up 1 tin today, There are about 15 pots in a tin, so I coated five of them in some lemon and herb So crispy and had them with Gammon, sweetcorn, carrots and peas.

I then used another 5 with onion,sweetcorn carrots and peas to make Potato salad.

I am thinking the last portion will make a fry up tommorow with some cooking bacon and onions.

I down only 19 to go, trouble is I dont really like the texture unless in soup or stew, but if it means keeping my NSP money I will suffer.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    Forumite
    Sligo wrote: »
    Helloooo Alll!

Please can you put me down for €750 for August. I am having a 5 week month - that's how it fits the spreadsheet as I get paid weekly.

Fridge fairly full, cupboard jammed, freezer nearly to top. There has to be something to eat there! :rotfl::rotfl:
    Just a suggestion but with such good stocks have you considered a use up week instead of a 5 week shop, actually the 5th week is never a full week only a matter of 3 days or so
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    Forumite
    elsiepac wrote: »
    Hi all

Firstly, I'd like to increase my budget to £110 please.

This is because I had a little more stocking up to do than I first realised! I'm talking like my coffee, big thing of olive oil, tablets, new (unplanned) re-usable bag, veggie mains, so immediately my first shop was huge in price but not in items!

So my month is shaping up to look like this:

Week 1 - 26 Jul - 01 Aug: £45
    Week 2 - 02 Aug - 08 Aug: £25
    Week 3 - 09 Aug - 15 Aug: £25
    Week 4 - 16 Aug - 18 Aug: £15
    18 Aug - 26 Aug - LANZAROTE with the family!!! :-)

Week 4 is high for 3 days, because that will include if I buy a drink or 2 in the airport on Sun 18 Aug (bound to be a fiver each) so it's not very much really!

I'm not being massively frivolous by going on holiday by the way - some of you know that my mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at the beginning of December. Total and utter shock to us all and she's not at all the profile who usually get it - she's only 52, not at all overweight, never smoked, only drinks socially generally fit and healthy. Anyway, she's had 4 months of chemo, which was really successful as inthe first 3 months, the tumour reduced by 20%. Now she's just finished the first part of radio, which was 5 weeks and now we are in a 3 month waiting period because the radiotherapy carries on working. Then she'll be assessed again and they are looking to operate around October. This is a huge operation - they say bigger than heart surgery as they remove the head of the pancreas and then have to connect everything up again. It's not without risk and she'll have a very long recovery time, I mean months.
    So, the holiday came about by me just mentioning to mum that I'd really like us to try and plan a family holiday (I'm 29 and my last one was when I was 15!) - it's all happened very quickly but basically mum and dad are paying for us and my sister to go to Lanzarote for the week. It's all very last minute and we've deliberately done it before the op. For nice memories before the long recovery.
    I have not been able to contribute anything to the flights or villa and had nothing saved obviously! Friday was my only payday between now and when we go so I've managed to squeeze £125 from my budget by cutting some stuff back and pushing some back to next month (risky business but don't worry, my DMP is safe, I would never risk that!!!). I'll only acheive this if I rigorously stick to my budget plus I still need to try and shave some off as £125 won't go far what with eating out etc. I know they will pay, but I always look bad - my sister has tons of money and TBH doesn't really understand quite how tight things are for some people (and I'm not even that pushed, I'm just average I think). But I always look ungenerous because I can't contribute or contribute as much. So dreading that a little!
    also, I had no holiday clothes, so mum has advanced me part of my Christmas money and birthday money - half of each to be precise, and I am to spend on clothes. I've bought 3 tops and a lovely maxi dress so far. I have £39 left and have found some cropped trousers on eBay which I'm going to order today, see how they are, and then get another colour if they are good, I think they came to about £11 with postage. Anyway, that is how I am acheiving a holiday - basically I'm being paid for.

So far my totals look like this:

Week 1 - 26 Jul - 01 Aug: £45 / £36.70
    Week 2 - 02 Aug - 08 Aug: £25
    Week 3 - 09 Aug - 15 Aug: £25
    Week 4 - 16 Aug - 18 Aug: £15
    18 Aug - 26 Aug -
    LANZAROTE with the family!!! :-)

I need to get some more veg for the rest of this week once I've worked out my meal plan properly.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend so far - sorry for the ginormous post! :rotfl:

LC x

Oh Elsie love so sorry about your Mum but a lovely idea for the holiday, dont worry about not paying as much as others, for years I was the poor one in our family but am now able to actually pay for DD and GDD, mind you I am 68 next month, just make sure you give your Mum lots of hugs lots of giggles and make it a holiday to remember for her, and for you too. Will be thinking of you.
    Slimming World at target
  • Puddickle
    Puddickle Posts: 34 Forumite
    OK - so far we have done a big shop at Ald*, and the few items we couldn't get there at Lid* including a stock up of all our cupboard items. We've tried to be as thorough for the week as we can and hope not to spend any other money apart from on our vegetable box. So... our weekly spend is currently at:

Ald* and Lid* shops: £67.79
    Fruit and veg box: £9.95

=£77.74

If we can make this our only spend for the week - i.e. no top ups (we've put a ban on ourselves nipping to the shops for anything) we are well on track to meet our target of £90 a week, as subsequent weeks should be even cheaper! Eeek!!

Tonight I've made a quiche from scratch (including the pastry), and we're having chips and salad with it :-) yum yum.
    CC debt £2,528.65/£31,193.22 - Slowly plugging away
  • meg72
    Forumite
    XSpender wrote: »
    £13.50 to add for a cheeky takeaway on Friday night as DH hadn't eaten all day. We haven't had one for a while and really enjoyed it. Also £3.98 on 6 pairs of rubber gloves as DH was cleaning the oven.

It's my birthday next week so DFIL is talking DS to the local show and DH is talking me to the pictures and for GF pizza ( different budget). However it has been chucking it down all night and all morning so I am not sure if the show will still be on. If not there goes my birthday treat:(

Meal plan and shop is done for next week except 2 pork chops and some of the value nappies DS uses at night. I have been having a look through my recipe books and may make another chicken recipe instead of the pork cops as it will put off a spend on meat until next weeks shop.

I made an olive and herb loaf in the bread maker (GF) yesterday morning using up some bread mix I have had since last year, an open jar of olives and herbs from my stash. It was lovely but has a very soft crust so is difficult to slice and I want to slice and freeze in portions. I may have to invest in an electric knife.

Really Really hope you get the Birthday treat, if we cant have a treat on our Birthday then when can we. My Birthday treat , 18th August, is a day trawling the Charity shops and a half price mixed grill in Weatherspoons, with DD and GDD, I dont care if it pours down, lightening or thunder so looking forward to it.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    Forumite
    I like to drain and blitz them until coarse to make salsa, or blend them until a bit finer and use as a base for pasta sauces or a pizza topping.

Thank you I had not thought of Pizza topping. Bless with all these suggestions I may go and stock up on a few more cans while they are still 14p. Only joking do need to use up this stash.

thank you
    Slimming World at target
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,045
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    meg72 wrote: »
    Really Really hope you get the Birthday treat, if we cant have a treat on our Birthday then when can we. My Birthday treat , 18th August, is a day trawling the Charity shops and a half price mixed grill in Weatherspoons, with DD and GDD, I dont care if it pours down, lightening or thunder so looking forward to it.

meg - your birthday is the same as mine - 18th August! Normally we go all out for our birthdays but it'll have to be a lot more modest this year due to wedding savings, so not sure what we'll do yet... I so much want to book a nice hotel for a couple of nights with OH but that is so not on the cards :rotfl:

Got some spends to update so will do that later once I've looked out all the recipes. Had a fantastic barbecue with friends last night and it didn't cost me as was given £50 to host it and then blog about it - result! Had some of the leftovers today for dinner and have more to use up :)

050728FF-23ED-467B-8DC5-7FF90429CC3B-5083-0000030419D6AEB6_zps99b60e3c.jpg

177822E9-13EE-4E35-BA49-20DF165CDC42-5083-00000304201B460A_zpse27dedc2.jpg

1912E858-AF37-457E-94F6-7EF35CB4CE78-5083-0000030425564695_zps90cd2990.jpg
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure