PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Did my last shop for march yesterday and have all we need til the end of the month.

So am declaring at £690 for the year to date.

Thanks Mrs Mc
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Evening all

Moniker -I didn't miss you off the list :j*I did have to go and check as I do seem to miss folks:o*

Well -I have had my 1st spend of the month -day 1 as well :eek::rotfl:...

Only picked up 2 things -
    • pork n leek sausages -whoopsed to 80c X 4
    • parsnips -whoopsed to 50c X 4
    So my 1st spend of the Month is €5.20 ;) -I usually make my own sausages but as we don't use many in spring/summer its silly to make a huge batch and take up freezer space (especially as there isn't much left at the mo)
    I may have a "big" spend later in the week as we have a friend driving back to the uk -so if they have the cheese I want she will be bringing back 20 x 400g blocks :rotfl:and possibly a couple of other things - but it will save us a bomb :T
    Today I have mad a batch of baguette dough nomnomnom -so I have turned some into baguettes *obvious really:o* and made 2 pizzas -one has just gone in the oven mmmmmmmmm I don't like pizza of any kind usually -but these are gorgeous :T
    Hubby is going to have a sausage baguette for brekkie tomorrow and take one wrapped in foil with him to the golf course -which will save him over €5 and at least he knows what he is getting ;)
    Dinner tomorrow is braised lamb shank with rosemary, carrots and onions -steamed potatoes, savoy cabbage and peas mmmmmmm

right -better get off -hope everyone is having a good weekend :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sneaking in at £85.27 for March which is good :D Got quite a bit of food in now, so shouldn't need to spend anything else for a while! That's the plan anyway ;)

Please could I be put down for £100 again for April? Thanks :D
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm declaring £161.40 for March which is well over my budget of £120 :( I've been having a rethink about my budget and from now on I'm going to allow myself £5 per day to cover all food, cleaning products, tolietrees and alcohol. Therefore can you put me down for £155 for April? This seems like a lot for one person, but there's no need for me to tighten my belt too much. The grocery challenge has been great for getting me to think about what I'm buying and cutting down on waste, so hopefully it is gettind me to eat more healthy and being good for the envirnoment.
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
  • Hello all

Thanks for all the good thoughts and hugs. It seems to have been a difficult month for a few of us :(

GC still on track, not declaring just yet as I go through to Wednesday, but will spend this weekend to beat the budget rise on alcohol especially cider :beer:. This will be from April budget, and used in April, or later.

Menu plan for April has been completed, using lots from my freezer stash. This is my main way of spending less, if I know what I've got to get out of the freezer for tonight's dinner I don't make expensive emergency trips to buy whatever I can :o:o.

Spiggle when I have excess from GC (all of £1.38 in Feb :D) I save it in a stockpile fund. This allows me to take advantage of special offers without affecting my monthly budget adversely. As I have just restarted GC I don't have that cushion at the moment, and it's very frustrating.

Mrs M can you put me down for my usual amount £250 for April.
    Dor
  • Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £14.09 spent today in tesco and I am hoping this will be my last spend of the month. I will declare on Wednesday which is my last day but in the meantime

Mrs M can you put me down for £200 again for April please.
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Went to tesco without a shopping list and have no meal plan, am trying a new tactic just to compare! Spent £50, which sounds good but that didn't include any nappies, toiletries, cleaning products or cider (Dh stocked up on 8 bottles the other day, pre budget rise! Though i've just realised I should technically include that in the total, so another £15) Also the tesco shop will only last to the end of the month probably and I forgot to get milk! Not looking good for this month, but I did underestimate as it's a 5 week month for us.
    Will try harder next month!
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • Botany
    Botany Posts: 244 Forumite
    After a £43.91 shopping at MrW, I have 16.80 left in the pot; but my challenge ends with the calendar month so there are still 4 days to go. Should be ok though ...

PS Will post up my proposed budget for April asap.
  • vodkawitch1
    vodkawitch1 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Over budget by £35 but my month doesn`t finish until Wednesday. Won`t need anything before then but won`t declare total spend till wednesday.

Please put me down for £160 for April
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mrs M can you put me down for £200 again for April please and failed for March.
    I say I failed in march I didn't really I had 3 weeks of sickness not all me 1 week DD of 18 months got chicken pox then next week I was ill then last week DD of 4 years got the pox. I just kept forgetting to keep an eye on my spends but I would have spent a lot more if I hadn't tried at all so I am happy.
    I will try harder in April well it should be easier as DH works away for 4 weeks and he goes wed and comes home 1st May and my month is from the 1st so only me and 2 children and a full freezer so hoping to live out of that. I will do a list and will be asking for help for meals.
    GC July £250/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport