What is Category D repaired - used car

Hi,

I've seen a used car on Autotrader at what seems like a really good price but it is described as having been "repaired" and the repair being a "category D" repair.

I've never heard of this before - please could anyone give me a quick low down on what to look out for or is this too risky a venture for someone who is not a car expect?

Many thanks.
Regards,

Comments

• blossomsuz
    blossomsuz Posts: 99 Forumite
    I am sure my other halfs celica was sold as a cat D.
    In the case of that car we were crashed into from behind whilst stationary at traffic lights. As it was a H reg car the insurance decided that it was not worth repairing and categorised it as a D or C. The car was fine to drive, no twisting to the chassy and the floorpan was not bent, it was just a case of it being an older car. When selling the vehicle you have to notify the new owner that it is a cat D but other than that it was just another normal car. Same amount of tax, normal MOT's ect.
    So long as its not written on the log book everything should be fine :)
    When the DVLA take the logbook away I think you have to get a special test done pre MOT by the DVLA to ensure the vehicle is still safe to be on the road.

These cars are generally cheaper as they are worth around 30% to 40% less than the normal value. If you know what your looking at you can pick up a bargin.
    Wins: Holiday to Thailand May 2014
    Mini Cruise Amsterdam and Antwerp June 2015
  • Porker
    Porker Posts: 369 Forumite
    • Category A - Vehicle must be crushed. All of it.
    • Category B - Vehicle may not be returned to road. Parts may be sold.
    • Category C - Repairable. Possibly structural damage. Cost of damage (at main dealer prices and labour rates) is more than book value of vehicle.
    • Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn't want to.
    • Category F - Damaged by fire.
    • Category X - Repairable. Minor Damage.
    if it's more than 10 stone, and that hairy, it's probably not a dog...it may be a wookie.
  • Dave_Brooker
    Dave_Brooker Posts: 1,128 Forumite
    Hi,

I've seen a used car on Autotrader at what seems like a really good price but it is described as having been "repaired" and the repair being a "category D" repair.

I've never heard of this before - please could anyone give me a quick low down on what to look out for or is this too risky a venture for someone who is not a car expect?

Many thanks.
    Regards,

It's salvage.

That's why it's cheap.
    The money, Dave...
  • Hi, thanks everyone, as ever I've learned something new there.

It's only a 2005 car so it seems strange that the insurer didn't want to repair it and it's a VW Polo too which are sought after, with only 9k ish miles.

Although it doesn't yet need an MOT by law would I be able to ask the seller to put it through an MOT at this stage so I have peace of mind that it will definitely pass an MOT in spite of the damage/repair - or is it impossible to get an MOT until the car is old enough to legally require one?

Should I expect to see some sort of certificate identifying this as "category D" damage and giving full details of the accident and repair work?

Also if I got all the details I guess I could get a specific insurance quote on the car before buying, to make sure cover is readily available and not priced through the roof.

Many thanks again for the helpful information.
  • mjr600
    mjr600 Posts: 760 Forumite
    Cat D can vary considerably from accident damage to paintwork.

There are more Cat D's appearing as a result of the cost to replace airbags.

An airbag is set to trigger from 19mph provided the impact is in the correct position to set it off, a frontal collision in a Polo with two triggered airbags will likely put in Cat D, airbags can be pricey to buy, the passenger side dashboard can be destroyed when a bag deploys in that position.

Without airbags the front end repair could have been economic, a dodgy repairer might just fix the damage and not replace the airbags or use parts from another accident/stolen vehicle. You need to find out if the bags deployed before considering a Cat D.

It will also be almost worthless due to the above so buy it cheap, check it's safe and expect it to be worth nothing when it comes to sell.
  • iluvmylexus
    iluvmylexus Posts: 180 Forumite
    quite often a car can become cat d with very little damage but perhaps a large bill for carhire that makes it beyond economical repair, for example a stolen recovered.
    i have seen a bmw cat d that even with a fairly thouough inspection i couldnt work out why it was listed
    buy it with caution and remember if you want to sell it on you may have difficulties
    speed is good
  • blossomsuz
    blossomsuz Posts: 99 Forumite
    Like I said before my Fellas H reg Toyota Celica GT4 was a Cat D mostly due to its age and they said it was beyond economical repair. The car was fine there was just a scuff on the rear bumper.
    Wins: Holiday to Thailand May 2014
    Mini Cruise Amsterdam and Antwerp June 2015
  • Porker
    Porker Posts: 369 Forumite
    mjr600 wrote: »

It will also be almost worthless due to the above so buy it cheap, check it's safe and expect it to be worth nothing when it comes to sell.

agree with the above - if trade puts such a low value on these cars it's for a reason - I'm sure there are real bargains to be had, but the unknowns are potentially serious. if youre very happy with it then fine, but you wont be able to sell it, so if it's screwed you've got to live with it for a long time.
    if it's more than 10 stone, and that hairy, it's probably not a dog...it may be a wookie.
  • Gold_Shogun
    Gold_Shogun Posts: 245
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's only a 2005 car so it seems strange that the insurer didn't want to repair it and it's a VW Polo too which are sought after, with only 9k ish miles.
    Age doesn't matter for Cat-D purposes.

In April 2006 I purchased a 5 month old Fiat Panda 1.3 Diesel Multijet (the MOST sought after Panda), which had only done 1,280 miles from New.
    New Cost = £7,790
    My Cost = £3,800

The Damage = 1 x Front Alloy Wheel & Tyre was destroyed (kerbed) PLUS 1 x Driver's Airbag had deployed PLUS 1 x SMALL & LIGHT scratch on front underskirt/valance.

The Accident = Spoke to original purchaser, & found out that he'd bought it for his daughter as a 17th birthday pressie, and just Two Weeks later she had panicked and driven into a Highish Kerb at about 20-25mph.
    ... The daughter was then too terrified to drive again, & the dad got a full payout under his "New-For-Old" Policy (Hence the reason it was "Categorised" as "D=Beyong Economic Repair"), and the car had sat in the main dealers for 4.5 months.

Repair Cost = £50 for identical wheel & tyre from a scrapyard PLUS £120 for airbag replacement from a dealer PLUS £3 for a can of T-Cut to remove the scratch.

Total Cost = £3973 for an "as new" car costing nearly £8000

Result = Me & Son HAPPY ... And STILL using the car everyday.

BUT ... Make sure you are completely HAPPY with the car before purchase !!

:beer:
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

- Benjamin Franklin
  • travel_freak
    travel_freak Posts: 879
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,

Thanks Gold Shogun - well done you! That sounds like a great buy. It's just a sign of our throwaway times I guess that we write off things that can be easily and, in your case, relatively cheaply repaired.

The dealer I emailed about the car yesterday replied but when (after reading advice from folks on here) I emailed again asking for further info. of the accident and whether the airbags had deployed he's gone strangely silent, so we'll see!!

Thanks for everyone's help.
    Regards,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family