RBS PPI Offer What next ??

Ninjaboy
Ninjaboy Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 22 February 2012 at 11:17PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
Hi Everyone

I'm another newbee to this wonderful site.

After reading many of the you experiences (good & bad) I decided to get "in about" reclaiming PPI from the RBS.

Made one phone call to the Manchester RBS PPI Customer Concerns Team (08000150319), spoke to a really nice guy on the other end and explained my concerns about PPI. Gave him account number; he said I would get a letter in a couple of week with a PPI reference No. Thirteen (YES 13) days later I recieved 7 offers relating to different accounts I was not aware of. Signed them all and sent them back "tracked" through Royal Mail.
These accounts relate to a period roughly 2000 - 2009
Wwwoooooowwww £8258 PPI refund PLUS £2748.06 int.
£ 11006.39
There is still money outstanding (£17352.08) against this account brought about due to a self-employment period failing. This outstanding decreasing balance is in the hands of a collection agency. Will the total £8777.25 go towards the outstanding or just the PPI refund and the interest to me ?

Anyone been in this position and had a result ?
Any advice ?

Comments

• socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    In my husband's RBS offer letter it said that the money would go into his current account if he still has one (which he does) or paid by cheque. There was nothing to say that it would be paid into his loan account.
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • Thanks Socks

Was your husband in the same bracket of cicumstances ? Collection agency, outstanding balance etc ?
    Did phone the RBS PPI team but they came accross fairly unsure about what will happen.

Many thanks
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 23 February 2012 at 7:45PM
    Usually if you have arrears they can use the redress to come off the debt,if this is still within RBS collections,if they have sold the debt on,you get this refund back.
    It is possible you will get the redress back to you,they will let you know in writing what they are doing.

If they take redress off the arrears,you will get the 8% back to you,this 8% is taxable and you will need to contact HMRC to find out how you pay this tax,unless RBS give you the 8% less tax,then you do not have to do anything.
  • socks_uk
    Ninjaboy wrote: »
    Thanks Socks

Was your husband in the same bracket of cicumstances ? Collection agency, outstanding balance etc ?
    Did phone the RBS PPI team but they came accross fairly unsure about what will happen.

Many thanks

He still has about £2000 left to pay on his loan which he would like to pay off as soon as he can. I'm not sure what you mean by collection agency though... he pays the loan monthly out of bank account.
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
  • socks_uk
    Just to confirm, my husband has had the first of his RBS PPI refunds paid into his bank account today (£1100).
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
  • Hi, just wondering how long it was from posting back your acceptance letters to the money being paid into your husbands RBS account? I posted my acceptance letter back on Monday, I know they quote 28 days to make payment but didn't know how long others have waited for payment.

Cheers,

Andy
  • Cupcake_63
    Cupcake_63 Posts: 14 Forumite
    sturty999 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering how long it was from posting back your acceptance letters to the money being paid into your husbands RBS account? I posted my acceptance letter back on Monday, I know they quote 28 days to make payment but didn't know how long others have waited for payment.

Cheers,

Andy

I sent my acceptance back to RBS on 1st May 2012 and received a text message on 8th May 2012 saying they had received the acceptance and, in their words, "Thank you for returning your acceptance form. We typically expect to make payment within 28 working days of receipt". I haven't received my settlement yet! So lets hope its not too much longer.
  • Spoke to RBS this morning, they say that they recieved my signed form on 17th May and that they expect to make payment within 28 working days, although they say they are processing them quite quickly at the moment! Let me know Cupcake when you receive your payment? Will be interesting to see how long it takes!
  • Cupcake_63
    Well done Sturty999, that sounds positive. Fingers crossed they get their act together and settle up very soon. Will keep you posted. Good luck with yours too.:T
  • Cupcake_63
    Just received a text this morning from RBS Group saying "We are pleased to advise your PPI case has been paid and should reach you within the next 7 days. Written confirmation will follow in due course". That makes it well within the 28 working days from receipt of my acceptance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure