how much savings can a person on incapacity benefit have before benefits get stopped

hello forum

Can anyone tell me how much savings a person on incapacity benefits can have before their benefits get stopped or they get penalised in anyway?
Thankssport-smiley-001.gif

Comments

• bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,045
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    hello forum

Can anyone tell me how much savings a person on incapacity benefits can have before their benefits get stopped or they get penalised in anyway?
    Thankssport-smiley-001.gif

Incapacity benefit isnt means tested or at least it isnt for some people, this means that whilst those on IB dont qualify for the free stuff that those on means tested benefits get like free prescriptions, someone on IB can have unlimited amount of savings.

The above may not apply to those who are on IB and income support and/or council tax benefit/housing benefit.

http://www.lawcentreni.org/EoR/incapacity_benefit.htm

http://www.dealingwithcancer.co.uk/government-benefits/incapacity-benefit/
  • trashcan_2
    trashcan_2 Posts: 309 Forumite
    Income capacity is not means tested. I have been on it for 3 years after a stroke, but this year due the government getting tough, it has been stopped since my last medical.
    You have to have a yearly medical,
    You can have any amount of savings because it is not taken into account.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Forumite
    trashcan wrote: »
    Income capacity is not means tested. I have been on it for 3 years after a stroke, but this year due the government getting tough, it has been stopped since my last medical.
    You have to have a yearly medical,
    You can have any amount of savings because it is not taken into account.

Not everybody has a yearly medical, most are seen every 5 years, In last few years DWP have been seeing everybody even those previously exempted so that when the new system comes in October 2008 DWP can say that all existing claimants were seen under the what will then be the old system.

I did say that Incapacity benefit by itself isnt means tested. ;)
  • trashcan_2
    I thought it was everybody (sorry). I know that I have had a medical for the past 3 years. I knew that i might not past the test this year, after all the government get tough messages on the TV.
    I have all the doctors reports and am at appeal in 2 weeks.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Forumite
    I thought it was everybody (sorry). I know that I have had a medical for the past 3 years. I knew that i might not past the test this year, after all the government get tough messages on the TV.
    I have all the doctors reports and am at appeal in 2 weeks.

Like i said everybody has been seen once over the last few years, many dont get seen for 5 years normally and some people get exempted. Often it is those with children or relatively new claimants who get seen every year.

Its not just a case of the Government getting tougher, more a case of DWP often going for what it perceives as the easy targets.

Wealth of information on this site, some free, some requires smallish annual fee for access gives tips about every stage of the disability/incapacity process including appeals. ( is totally independent)

This thread will probably get moved to appropriate sub forum, information within it may benefit others.

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

Heres a sample newsletter which shows the type of topics get discussed.

Try the new incapacity test plus shockingly harsh ESA doctors

Dear Reader,
    What would you score under the new incapacity test? Would you pass and which group would you be in?
    This month we've launched our free-to-all online employment and support allowance self-assessment tool. Give it a try and see how you would score yourself under the work capability assessment. We even do the maths for you and you can have your results emailed to you, if you choose.

Unfortunately, we also have news of the shockingly harsh way in which doctors were trained to interpret the regulations for the pilot version of the new test. What you score yourself and what the DWP score you may be quite different, especially for claimants with mental health conditions.

For those of you who haven't visited the site since mid-March, be prepared for a different look - we finally did that upgrade we've been working on for what seems like a lifetime.

Please note: if you were a paying subscriber before the 14th March, your log in details will have changed. More information at www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/content/view/888/143/#march

We also have news of the David 'Benefits' Freud complaints and, sadly, a warning that the VAT man cometh to Benefits and Work on 1st May - though you can pay early and avoid it. Plus, the continuing rise of A4E and relentless fall of the voluntary sector and the shock revelation that some advice providers have finally twigged that ESA isn't really about helping claimants.

Finally, my apologies that there wasn't a newsletter in March - with the major changes to the site and the publication of the ESA regs, it's been a bit of a busy few weeks.

Good luck,
    Steve
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Alternatively, trashcan, you could contact your citizens' advice bureau who are geared up to help in this area - they will even attend tribunals with you if necessary.
  • trashcan_2
    I have been to the citizens advise and they did help me, But there was no attempt on there part to attend even when i made it clear that i had no one to support me.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Forumite
    I have been to the citizens advise and they did help me.

I dont mean to appear cheeky, those who fail at the assessment stage either at questionaire stage or when seen by a DWP doctor clearly didnt get enough help as those potential pitfulls can be overcome with sufficient research.

E.G. Out of the X amount of millions that are on IB the majority will have been passed without going through the appeals process, saying that people of course do succeed on appeal.
  • cabvol
    cabvol Posts: 39 Forumite
    I have been to the citizens advise and they did help me, But there was no attempt on there part to attend even when i made it clear that i had no one to support me.
    Do you realise that each Citizens Advice Bureau is a charity staffed mainly by volunteers?
    each one has different resources and they all have very limited funding. Even those that do get paid work very hard for very little.
    They do not have a magic wand they can help you to help your self. There is a further thing to consider the test you undergo is called the all work test (personal capability assesment) you may be fit to do some work and if that is the case then that is what you will need to do, or clain JSA while you are looking. getting a bit tired of people saying 'went to Cab they did not help me'
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    I'm glad CAB helped you Trashcan; I did say they could attend tribunals when necessary, but perhaps they thought you could manage without them - as cabvol says, they have to prioritize how they assist people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure