PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking without scales

Options

Comments

• ClaireLR
    ClaireLR Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just checked my measuring jug, it does have fluid ounces on it, would that be the same thing??
    Sometimes you have to go through
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
  • ClaireLR
    ClaireLR Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wow thanks Pollybear! I found a really helpful conversion table on the link that should help me, maybe I won't even buy the scales!
    Sometimes you have to go through
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
  • Melissa177
    Melissa177 Posts: 1,727 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh, you have everything you need to make my favourite banana bread - and I never use scales.

You need:

Mashed bananas (About 3)
    A large tablespoon of butter (about an ounce)
    7 heaped tablespoons of flour (a tablespoon is about an oz)
    5 tablespoons of sugar (dark brown sugar is very nice if you have it, or half and half dark sugar/white sugar)
    An egg
    dried fruit -a couple of handfuls.

Mash banana, melt butter in the microwave, and mix banana, sugar, butter and egg all together. Add the dried fruit also.

Fold in the 7 tablespoons of flour. The mixture should be very thick at this point, so I like to add a splash of milk. It still should be thick, but not runny.

Pour into a bread loaf tin, and bake at gas mark 7 for about 10 mins, and turn down to about gas mark 4 for another thirty mins. You can put tinfoil over the top to stop it burning.

Test that it has cooked through by sticking a skewer in to make sure it has cooked inside.

Once cooked, allow to cool and cut into slices. A little butter on it is very nice, but it will be moist already because of the banana.

I used to make this as a student when I had no scales - it's a great hangover cure, and it's very cheap to make, especially with old bananas!
    Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Jefferson
  • Rossy2692
    Rossy2692 Posts: 592 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

My scales have packed up on me and i would like to make some cupcakes this afternoon. Is there a way I can make them using any other method?

Thanks in advance
    :j Started my weightloss journey, its neverending!! :j

Weightloss challenge 2/14

:p "Life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are gonna get":p
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you google for cupcakes I'm sure that you will be pointed at any number of American sites.

American recipes work by volume (in cups) not by weight.

If you don't have proper cup measures...

1 cup = 240ml in a measuring jug

So any measuring jug you have will do - just fill it to the level required with the ingredient concerned.

The second recipe here should point you in the right direction:-

http://cupcakeblog.com/?p=70

(makes 24 - 28 cup cakes)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    A rounded tablespoon is approx 1 oz. My mum taught me to bake a basic sponge mix (ideal for fairy cakes), using 2 eggs, 4 oz butter : use markings on packet to guesstimate), 4 rounded tablespoons SR flour. 4 level-rounded tablespoons sugar.

A tablespoon = 30ml -the nearest you'll have is a serving spoon probably? Rounded means the spoon should be heaped to the same degree on top as the curve of the spoon on the bottom.

Good luck.. you can't go far wrong with fairy cakes...xx If the mix is a bit dry add a little milk. If too wet add a little extra flour. Enjoy xx
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    how much in say, tablespoons is 1 oz of flour? and 1oz of butter?

doesnt have to be in spoons all I could think of quickly:confused:
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/kitchen/measures.htm

2 tablespoons of butter is about 30g/1oz ish
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure