Is the cash withdraw limit e.g. £300.00 really the limit?

Comments

• PBA
    PBA Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    At Abbey you can get 500GBP over the counter and 300GBP from the machines per day. You can give 2 days notice to get more cash.
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    Natwest will give you whatever you want as long as it is reasonable, so you wont be walking out with £20k without at least giving a bit of notice.

Anything over £1,000 and Natwest insist on two forms of ID. You have no idea the amount of grief I used to get because of that. :mad:

Interestingly if anyone is a premium customer, for £2 per transaction you used to be able to take £750 out of the machines per day.
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm with HSBC and my limit is 1k per day, with a limit of GBP500 per ATM withdrawal.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • emma396
    emma396 Posts: 760 Forumite
    Before xmas, i withdrew 4k from abbey, i called them up in the morning to give them notice. I used to work for Lloyds, I'd let people take out as much money as they had in the account as long as there was money in the bank and they had ID with them.
  • isofa
    isofa Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    [Abbey rant] Abbey made a massive fuss when I asked for a cheque a few months ago, payable to myself, so god knows how they'd behave with cash. It wasn't that much, couple of thousand and I had work photo ID, credit cards, debit cards, business cards, and every other kind of ID, although not a passport or driving licence on me. Oh and they also knew me quite well. They made a massive fuss and said they couldn't do it, so I had to call the manager and complain in front of a queue of people, and suddenly they did it - ridiculous - a cheque payable to the account holder! I've since closed the account, because I'd never received such poor service in my life in various issues and balls ups. [/Abbey rant]

Back on topic... Never had a problem taking out cash in various quantities over the counter anywhere else (and bank with Lloyds a lot), as long as you have ID, it's fine. Small limits £250 etc, usually just apply to ATMs, it's a safety limit in case someone steals your card and PIN.
  • p1an0player
    p1an0player Posts: 1,196 Forumite
    £500 daily ATM limit on Coventry First account
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    I bank with Abbey the limit is £500 over the counter without notice and £300 from the ATM. You can withdraw more over the counter with notice the amount of notice varies depending on how much and which branch sometimes a phone call on the day is enough sometimes longer.
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    Last time I tried to take cash out over-the-counter at HSBC they refused point-blank to do it at all.

One of the many reasons I'm leaving the scum ASAP.

I've never had any problem at all. I am guessing that you did not have any ID with you. In such a case, all banks would have refused you.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • maryotuam
    maryotuam Posts: 506 Forumite
    I was able to take out £1400 over the counter at the Coop Bank branch from my Smile account with no ID asked for nor any advance notice! It made me a bit nervous because if I lost my card, my account could possibly be cleared out too easily.
    It's great to be ALIVE!
  • BruceyBonus
    BruceyBonus Posts: 1,142
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nationwide will let you withdraw thousands in cash, over the counter, if you give them a few days notice and present some ID.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure