PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mouldy jam!

2»

Comments

• larfido
    larfido Posts: 29 Forumite
    I must admit also to scooping the mouldy bits off and eating the rest! God I am such a house !!!!!!!
    Some moulds are known to be carcinogenic - don't know about the mould(s) that grow in jam but why take the risk?
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I was also going to say the mould spores go deeper than you think. However I just take the top inch off and still eat the rest.

Half a century or so later I'm still here.

However the next person to stick a buttery knife into a full jam jar in my house may not live so long
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • doddsy
    doddsy Posts: 396 Forumite
    maryb wrote:

However the next person to stick a buttery knife into a full jam jar in my house may not live so long

Ditto - one of my pet hates, along with toast crumbs in the butter.
    We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.
    – Marian Wright Edelman
  • Mamabear
    Mamabear Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    doddsy wrote:
    Ditto - one of my pet hates, along with toast crumbs in the butter.

Oooh you must know my outlaws... and a granule or 2 of instant coffee in the sugar (grrrr :mad: use the sugar spoon for the sugar and the coffee spoon... Oh well, I suppose that would take a little forethought and planning ;) )
    Peek-a-boo
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sorry to hear about the jam, i would be devastated if it happened to me after all the effort it seems to take. hope it doesn't put him off
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • needaspirin
    needaspirin Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    It takes me forever to use up a jar of jam and was always having to rmove the mould from the top of an almost full jar, so each time I use some I now put the jar (minus the lid) in the microwave and zap it until it just begins to bubble. I take it out with a cloth because its very hot and put the lid straight back on. I have never since had a jar go mouldy even when its almost empty.
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, it does sound like there was air in the jars - "almost full" is not full enough!

And I confess to being another one who scrapes the mould off & eats the rest! Unless the mould has gone down into the jar, such as when a jar is half empty & then been forgotten. Then it goes! But a fresh jar with just the top layer mouldy is fine.
    Mind you, if it's strawberry jam it doesn't settle long enough in this house for a mould spore to find it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure