PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

buying a house with a loft conversion without building regs can i get insured?

Comments

• poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    windows aren't so important these days as the route in from the ground. Fire doors and fire closers I think on all other doors in the place (something a lot of builders might tell you to just take off after building regs is done, but are there for a reason and not just to annoy) And extra smoke detector thing too so you know quickly if there's a problem elsewhere.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    also getting insurance and claiming on it are two different things, I'm sure if you told your insurance company you had a loft conversion without building regs they may take a different view. Non disclosure is the biggest single reason for insurers not paying up.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    when we were looking at a house that had been converted incorrectly the solicitor advised that we could get insurance against there being a problem with the work not complying with building regs etc.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • missb123
    missb123 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Hi all, we have bought a house, 3 bed with loft conversion, our solicitor wanted the building warrant before we could complete.
    At present the seller is having to do remedial works to the conversion for it to pass regs, we were told not to complete on the house till it gets signed off by the council.
    Its taking ages!!! god knows when we will get to move in!!
  • A few different views there, i think we will be asking the vendors more questions before we complete. Initially the room will be used mostly for storage with a bed in the room. We are prepared to get it up to regs if we need to in the future.

Thanks for all the info.
  • iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    A poorly done conversion can cost you tens of thousands further down the line ;)
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • sparkykink
    sparkykink Posts: 14 Forumite
    Generally, I understand the seller of the house takes out an indemnity policy in this situation if building regs haven't been followed.
    I have just bought a property with a window that wasn't fitted by a FENSA registered company, and an indemnity policy had to be taken out (otherwise no mortgage offer).
    Beware insurance companies that will sell policies but not pay up when things go belly up.
  • timmyt
    timmyt Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    sparkykink wrote: »
    Generally, I understand the seller of the house takes out an indemnity policy in this situation if building regs haven't been followed.
    I have just bought a property with a window that wasn't fitted by a FENSA registered company, and an indemnity policy had to be taken out (otherwise no mortgage offer).
    Beware insurance companies that will sell policies but not pay up when things go belly up.

yes, none of these policies to my knowledge hav been claimed on.

FENSA insurance is a nonsense. If over 1 year building control cannot take action, and I personally do not suggest a delay for insurance for windows!
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • You do have to be concerned about safety and you do have think about the questions that will be asked when you come to sell, but you also have to get it all in context.

What do people say about 100 year old houses that have probably always had an attic bedroom with steep windy stairs accessing it that would not comply with modern regulations if built now? Nobody seems to bat an eyelid at that sort of thing - yet there is some logic in lenders saying they are concerned about safety and therefore they will not value any such property as a 3 bed if one of the bedrooms is in the attic. They don't, of course, but it does seem unfair that someone who has done a modern loft conversion that 90% complies with the regulations, and is probably safer than a Victorian loft bedroom, should be penalised.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • Sammy85_2
    Sammy85_2 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    You do have to be concerned about safety and you do have think about the questions that will be asked when you come to sell, but you also have to get it all in context.

What do people say about 100 year old houses that have probably always had an attic bedroom with steep windy stairs accessing it that would not comply with modern regulations if built now? Nobody seems to bat an eyelid at that sort of thing - yet there is some logic in lenders saying they are concerned about safety and therefore they will not value any such property as a 3 bed if one of the bedrooms is in the attic. They don't, of course, but it does seem unfair that someone who has done a modern loft conversion that 90% complies with the regulations, and is probably safer than a Victorian loft bedroom, should be penalised.

Well said..

The main staircase in my old house (1880s built) wouldnt comply with the building regs, infact the house wouldnt because of the methods of building back then, but im not going to go and rebuild to make it compliant!

When we got the survey for our new house it said the loft frames dont conform with building regs, well they wouldnt would they, it was built 50 years ago!
    :jProud mummy to a beautiful baby girl born 22/12/11 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport