PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding - A New Start

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Ok....study pics, to continue the discussion about my bookshelves!

f33009b3967b55fa76de2119165e7bdc.jpg

( yeah, those are more books, the ones I got out of boxes on to shelves at the end of last year)

626999716fb71eccd02fb66619b99136.jpg

Looks spartan huh?

But lurking is this

d23f476301fa9a4bb677e70bc1cf43bd.jpg

And, um, a few in other corners of the room too.
  • sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    73. Hung wet clothes on horse
    74. Put away clean dishes
    75. Done dishes from dish bowl (not the others that are on bunker)
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Ok, this is a bit more of a flying list than a dericharding one but here is my twelve

1. Bottle seen on my photo emptied and put in recycling bag.

2. Book on desk reshelved

3. Laundary pile started (lost count here but over twelve because I started counting again twice )

4. Sitting room coffee table rubbish accumulation BINNED

5. Junk mail, plastic removed, paper scrunched into woodburner

6. Plant pot aka the kiwi fruits avourite puppy toy) chucked, unbroken one gifted

That's it for now...I need a drink.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could you just stack the books on the brown(?) shelves, without the cardboard boxes until you get your new shelves.

Rather than having the books vertically like in a normal bookcase, you could stack them flat, spines facing the room. You may be able to get them all on the unit, once unpacked, by a bit of careful shuffling.

Will you be using the books that much or just needing to have them for pleasure/future use? If not (aside from getting rid!), you could maybe use fabric or decorated paper on the shelves to make them look prettier, or drape them in some kind of a throw.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • I think whitewing's idea is a good one lostinrates, looks like a garage style storage unit to me? But I am a real sucker for keeping books, my dream is to have my own library one day a la Belle from Beauty and the Beast! :o

Love the colour of the room btw, and is that a siamese kitty I see lurking half in half out of one shot? :)

Was so tired last night I just crashed, but tonight will have to be back on top of my game, as we have visitors this weekend with a crawling baby.
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Catriona_P wrote: »
    I think whitewing's idea is a good one lostinrates, looks like a garage style storage unit to me? But I am a real sucker for keeping books, my dream is to have my own library one day a la Belle from Beauty and the Beast! :o

Love the colour of the room btw, and is that a siamese kitty I see lurking half in half out of one shot? :)

Was so tired last night I just crashed, but tonight will have to be back on top of my game, as we have visitors this weekend with a crawling baby.

Yes it's plastic garage shelving.

And yes, I think it's a better solution than the boxes. :)

The cat is in two shots, (like where is wally) and her sister lives with us too. :). She was instead of an engagement ring from dh. :D
  • The cat is in two shots, (like where is wally) and her sister lives with us too. :). She was instead of an engagement ring from dh. :D

Ah I see now! Lucky you, wish I'd got cats instead of an engagement ring :D My little cat didn't come along until after the wedding when my years of pestering finally got through. :)
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
  • Suggestions - cupboard of doom - do one of those horrid gift bags. Or pick up the puzzle and game boxes we can see at the back and put them on the top of the shelving.

Study - shelves against wall and clear one box at a time. Getting the study properly usable is important. Getting it all pretty with posh shelves is secondary.

Oh, and the cat's tail looks very photogenic :)
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    There is no space free on the top of the shelving, it's piled high! It's maybe something I will attempt to tackle tomorrow but its more than a days work!

Still going to try to find 25 other small things to do today (even if its 25 vests ironed......seems a lot!)

Now I have freed the toy box from the Christmas clutter, the kids have re-cluttered my livingroom with the contents of it for now!
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    whitewing wrote: »
    Still need some work done on my head! I keep reading all the things that you are moving on, and thinking, ohh, I'd like that, I'd like that!

Me too:o Had to stop reading!

Hello everyone, have been reading but not posting as DS hogged the poota, so I was reduced to reading on my phone and I just can't be doing with typing on my phone...

You all seem to be doing well today.

LiR that is a lot of books! I got rid of a whole bookcase of books along with the bookcase in one of my mad clear it all out episodes. I seem to go through phases of chucking lots of stuff then I regret it and it all builds again:( However I have now acknowledged that I am a hoarder and not just 'a bit messy' so I can let things go in a more planned and reasoned way and so hopefully will not regret it.

Today I finally chucked the greenery I gathered at xmas to make lovely wreaths (never did and it's been withering in my dining room ever since), the bin was emptied yesterday and is now more than half full again, will have to show restraint for next 2 weeks until it is emptied again, hmmm...

Sold a few things on ebay including 3 dining chairs, so could get the nice oak ones out of the understairs cupboard to use. Understairs cupboard very much cupboard of doom:(

More paperwork sorted and not needed stuff in basket for fire-lighting.

Dirty dozen, an excellent idea - goes to find another 12 things to dispose of/tidy...
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family