Multifuel or Wood burning stove

Comments

• suecoo66
    suecoo66 Posts: 109
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've recently been considering buying a wood burning stove but haven't got a clue where to start. Had a look on the Stovesrus site and saw some nice ones on there but how much will it cost me to have it installed ? I have no chimney and live in a bungalow. I currently have a gas fire on the wall, one of them modern ones that look like a plasma screen but with the price of gas I think I'd rather have a wood burner.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In all honesty gas will be the cheaper option!

From your post I take it you dont have a chimney so you will need an external twin wall flue at a cost of roughly 800 - 1000 + fitting.
    Then you want a stove, a good quality steel stove to last will be in the 800 - 2000 range again + fitting.
    then you want your wood - ok if you can source good quality free dry wood if not factor in approx 60 - 100 per month for a delivery of kiln dried wood.

Possibly not what you wanted to hear, many people would love a real fire but if you have gas then stick with it as it is the cheaper option.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,062
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd swap my stove for gas central heating at the drop of a hat
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    suecoo66 wrote: »
    I've recently been considering buying a wood burning stove but haven't got a clue where to start. Had a look on the Stovesrus site and saw some nice ones on there but how much will it cost me to have it installed ? I have no chimney and live in a bungalow. I currently have a gas fire on the wall, one of them modern ones that look like a plasma screen but with the price of gas I think I'd rather have a wood burner.

What mucky said. I paid about £1700 for a 5kW stove, liner and hearth, and many quotes were a lot higher. Then there is the problem of getting wood. Most is not dry enough, so you'll have to store it for a year or two. Wood that is kiln dried is not cheap. I live in a rural area and I have found a local tree surgeon who sells logs at a decent price, but they are not fully seasoned, and need to be stored, although that does not stop the local brewery burning them straight away.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • We had our multifuel stove installed about 5 years ago now and we love it, really heats the room and looks great.

There are lots of costs to consider e.g. fuel, hearth and all the accessories, this site will give you a good idea of costs: http://stoveaccessories.co.uk/
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Swipe wrote: »
    I'd swap my stove for gas central heating at the drop of a hat

Cost wise - Im with you

But I have grown to love my stoves and even enjoy the cleaning, the filling of the coal scuttles and even the general mess that that they bring
  • I adore my multi fuel stove, Its older than dirt and throws out so much heat that on occasion we have to open the loft hatch to cool the house a little. But i can cook more or less anything i want on top of it.

We manage to obtain free wood and use only the bare minimum of smokeless coal. But to give those an idea of possible savings,
    Winter 2010 gas bill £348.00
    Winter 2011 gas bill £97.30
    Mortgage deposit fund: £4000
    £2012 in 2012 challenge #121: £2491.23/£2012
  • i would definitely go for multifuel stove, we bought this one, was quite cheap just a little above £300 and does the job, its not some chinese fake and you are not limited with one fuel type only. cheers:)
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • Yep - Chinese as far as I know. I don't think it would be possible to build a stove in this country and sell it at that price to be honest. Well not if you wanted to stay in business anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure