Free Personal Plumbing Info.

Comments

• Keziah_2
    Keziah_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi Ian

Our shower is one of those cheap wall-mounted over the bath things that just takes in cold water and does the rest itself. It will only do scalding hot or freezing cold. Is this just because those cheap showers are rubbish?

Roughly how much would it cost to put in a proper shower? I'm not planning on doing it myself but I would like to know so I can ask my landlady.

This is such a good idea, thanks for being so helpful!
  • you could take out home emergency service
  • Hello Ian

I have a problem with the shower unit I installed in my en suite. Because the size of the gap was c20cm wider than the shower tray itself, I built a bridging shelf which overlapped the shower tray. This was then tiled and plenty of mastick applied. However what pools in the corner of this shelf, and I have discovered a significant leak.

Despite numerous reapplications of mastick (removing old first) the leak is still there and I have been advised that the only way to get rid of it is by increasing the angle of the run off into the shower tray so that water does not 'pool' in the corner. Is there anything else I can do to ensure a waterproof seal on the shelf?

thanks
  • WaltD
    WaltD Posts: 127 Forumite
    Hi Ian!
    I have a traditional gas fired central heating / hot water system, with a header tank in the attic, boiler in the kitchen, and hot water cylinder in the first-floor airing cupboard. There is a switch on the control box that lets me select "heating and hot water" or "hot water only". But just lately, it makes no difference which way I set this switch ... the central heating stays on anyway! What could be the cause of this problem? It always worked correctly before.

Thanks!
  • Big_Koz
    Big_Koz Posts: 2 Newbie
    HI Ian,

I have silly night storage heaters that are useless that I am going to replace with a new combi boiler, radiators, etc. I've seen a great deal on https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk for all the kit but would need it fitted. How much do you think something like this should cost. Please bare in mind that all copper and fittings are included. Also the Mrs wants these old cast iron looking radiators (against my advice!) but they look like they take a lot of water to fill - pushing running costs up. Is this the case or do they generate more heat to take balance things up?

Many thanks

Sean
  • philhuff
    philhuff Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I've got a dishwasher sitting here waiting to be put in place, although I'd need about 4-5 feet of pipework to get it connected. I'm adeqaute at DIY, so is this something I could reasonably do myself with little risk? Or should I leave it to a plumber and, if so, what sort of cost would be reasonable?
    MSE are supporting our journey from Staples2Naples for SPARKS. Join us.
  • Hope this is the right link! my plumbing question is how do I stop the overflow from my toilet-it has a plastic ballcock so I can not bend it as oin days of yore and the water level keeps drifting up to the overflow level

*Personal details removed*
  • Hi Ian , My mum has an oil fired system and has no hot water but the heating still works luckily the immersion works too any ideas would be welcome TIA. ;)
  • Keris
    Keris Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for doing this.

I have a (possibly) stupid question and a not stupid question:

Our electric oven has broken. We want to replace it with an electric oven and a gas hob. I don't know who we would get to install it (since it involves .. erm .. "getting" gas into the kitchen). My sister says a plumber. Is that right?

And our pipes are extremely noisy. When you empty the bath you can hear the water in the loo and bubbling up the sink, if that makes sense. Nothing actually comes out of the sink, it just sounds like it's going to. And it's really loud downstairs too. Is this just because the pipes are old? Is there anything we can do about it? If we need new pipes how much is this likely to cost?

Thanks again

Keris
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    We have a new to us (but 3 year old house) and thought that when it got hot just lately we could turn of the heating and just leave the hot water running from our gas central heating boiler. Problem is some of the radiators still get hot. The only way we can get cold rads in some rooms is to turn of the thermostatic valves on the actual radiators. Is this normal. Regards Sheila
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family