Octagon Car Insurance should I go with them?

Comments

• Like many on a budget five days ago I used a comparison site to purchase car insurance and went with the cheapest option and opted to pay monthly. The monthly amount was set at time of purchase and a deposit paid.
    The policy and certificate arrived with errors. I contacted Octagon to amend and found the gentleman I spoke to very helpful.
    Today I received documentation for a loan taken out in my name from Creation Finance!! Not what I was expecting. The policy cost has risen again and it states the monthly payments are variable. The cost of this policy is now more than the original renewal quote from my previous insurers. I immediately contacted octagon to cancel the policy with immediate effect and was given attitude over the phone and a severe lack of knowledge when it came to refunding my deposit payment and how long it would take. However the charges for cancelling a four day old policy and excessive charges for cancelling a so called loan agreement,that was set up in my name, without my knowledge,authorisation or my signature rolled off the tongue. I have cancelled the direct debit they set up on my bank account with my bank. Amazed they can authorise this without my signing of an DD instruction slip. I am due to receive a refund from Octagon , that was hard enough to get, though I doubt it will be the amount quoted to me over the phone. After reading previous threads and other review sites I am anticipating a battle to get anything back in the time span quoted to me. They have my proof of no claims , sent emailed confirmation they had recived this and as anticipated were vague as to when that would be sent back. Not happy, unimpressed and have learnt a lesson not go go with the the cheapest option and to read reviews first. On a happier note I contacted my previous insurer and explained the situation. They have been brilliant and came up with a new quote which was suitable! Please do not insure with Octagon - inefficent, not trustworthy and they lie. Dread to think what horrors would occur if you had to claim. Stay away from Octagon!
  • I recently took out insurance with Octagon, found them to be the cheapest via confused.com. Once the policy was set up I received my documents the next day. There was an issue on my paperwork with regards transmission I have an auto Audi paperwork showed manual. Operator stated that there would be a charge for the change in the policy; I explained that this was not my fault as I had given all the correct details he explained that he would listen to the tape and call back. I received a call the next day from Kara at customer service. Kara was excellent very polite and understanding there was no charge and the matter was resolved. Octagon Insurance was by far the cheapest and when there was a problem they resolved it very quickly no hassle no problem.:money:
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,506
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    And you joined today to say you had a problem which was their fault, And they didnt charge you to put it right? But you think they are a good company?

Can you honestly say they are not paying you :D
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• And you joined today to say you had a problem which was their fault, And they didnt charge you to put it right? But you think they are a good company?

Can you honestly say they are not paying you

Forgotmyname. I think your missing the point; mistakes happen we all make them. This problem was resolved I am happy with the outcome.
    With regards to me joining yesterday (So what) are people not free to join whenever they want to or do you have an issue with that too. I want to make it very clear I was not paid to express the comments that I made.
  • bhav27 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm looking to take out new car insurance, and having compared through comparison sites this insurer came far cheaper than others.

I never heard this company before and would like to know other's experience with this company especially when you make a claim, and customer service.

Thanks.
    Never use this insurance company. I have had a accident recently and it was not at my fault and this insurance company didn't refund my insurance I paid upfront when I took this policy and dragged the case until my complete insurance period ran off ( I had a accident 6 months after taking policy with them ).

NEVER USE THEM. RIP OFF... STAY WELL CLEAR OFF THEM.....

Poor customer service, you will be on the phone all day.... But for new policies they will pick up within seconds.....

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

My recent experience says :(
  • bhav27 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm looking to take out new car insurance, and having compared through comparison sites this insurer came far cheaper than others.

I never heard this company before and would like to know other's experience with this company especially when you make a claim, and customer service.

Thanks.

octagon is the most pathetic company I've ever used. Its your choice but believe me you will have nothing but problems with these jokers.
  • Spiderham
    Spiderham Posts: 327 Forumite
    Care to elaborate? You state they are pathetic and a joke on two threads but don't say why you tink that. It probably gives people a fairer view/more sincere warning if you explain what they've done.
  • I would like to advice against this insurance company.
    I have got the very bad experience with Octagon.
    I was using my 2 cars without any insurance for 3 weeks, just because somebody from Octagon forgotten change my details in the system.
    I sold my car and I tried to cancel my policy.
    I had to call 2 times to get an e-mail with (link) confirmation, that my policy has been cancelled.
    Even more, I am still waiting for my no claims bonus from Octagon.
    I requested (phoned) 2 times Octagon for this document.
    The call costs - so far - “just" £30.
    And of course I lost my deposit - £120; I have to pay £50 of cancellation fee and much to my disappointment - another £25 cancellation fee (2 times…). In additional I have to pay £58 for the next month.
    It is very incomprehensible, how Octagon treats customers.
  • Hannah_C
    Hannah_C Posts: 2 Newbie
    I had an accident on the 2nd September 2012. A lady hit the side of my car from behind at a roundabout. She drove off but I took note of her numberplate.
    A witness also stopped and gave me her information.

I contacted the police and logged the accident. They contacted the driver and the witness and closed the case within 6 weeks of the accident as 100% of the other drivers fault and the witness statement also backs this up. (took them longer than normal because the other driver initially ignored the letters from the police).

For some reason Octagon is still, even to this day, struggling to get the case closed so my car can be repaired. I have been calling weekly and have so far got nowhere. It has now been 8 months and the whole situation has been a complete nightmare. I sit for hours on hold trying to speak to someone and when you finally do I often get told they're looking into it and will ring me back. They never contact me even when they 'guarantee' they'll come back to me by a set time.

I was sent the third parties statement of truth but it was actually for the wrong accident, wrong cars, wrong place, wrong kind of accident etc, nothing was similar and when I rang to mention I had been sent the wrong information the lady on the phone said 'Oh, yeah, it's in the notes that the numberplate's didn't match so we'd need to check that at some point'. It didn't stop them sending me the information anyway!

I would sum my experience up as being nothing but hassle, an endless round of explaining the same information to up 7 people on the one call as you just get passed around from pillar to post. There is no customer 'service' you can hear the employees disinterest on the phone, they don't have any concern for the inconvenience they are creating and act like you are the inconvenience by expecting them to do what you have paid them to do!
  • Avoid Octagon at all cost. I was hit twice in March not my fault I have had no correspondence from them, i have spent over £30 in phone calls only to be cut off. I have written and emailed many times no reply. I have a witness and an admission of liability but they still want me to pay the access. I have received letters from some firm saying they want to pick up my car as it has been deemed a writeoff but i know nothing. So as i said earlier avoid at all cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure