Which Tom Tom?

Options

Comments

• Scooby_Doo.
    Scooby_Doo. Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    bigjl wrote: »
    I would.go for the cheapest widescreen one that i could find , i have bought two TomTom ones over the years and found them good.

One was fitted with an SD card and one was fitted with the internal memory.

The SD card one still worked fine but i can't find it. The one with the internal memory packed up.

I currently use a Navman, widescreen bought purely due to it having full euro maps and i couldn't find my Tomtom with the sd card as that had euro maps.

I still use the Navman as it has rds traffic. But it is not as good as a TomTom. Doesn't route aswell as a TomTom or reroute aswell either.

My next satnav will be a TomTom.

If you check the Police a lot of them [STRIKE]use TomTom [/STRIKE] have Sat Nav built into the ANPR and Terrafix a system for despatching Ambulances also uses TomTom maps.

Fixed that for someone who thinks he knows everything about the police but doesn't.:rotfl:
  • 2sides2everystory
    Options
    TomTom came with my Windows mobile phone which is 4 years old and I haven't found the need to buy a thing since. Got me across Europe easily enough earlier this year, too.

I shan't be buying anything different anytime soon either phone or satnav wise I reckon :money:
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    I have an iPhone 4 with TomTom and it's excellent! You get free regular map updates too.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mongmoney wrote: »
    I need a satnav and want to know which of the devices are best before i buy. Any of you really pleased with what you've got?
    Advice needed.
    Mongy

Get one with internet connectivity - the traffic service is MUCH better than the standard), and the fuel prices search should pay for the cost over a year.

The new Garmin nuLink 2300 series looks good, but it's not out till next Friday and presumably prices will drop below RRP after that. Otherwise there is the Garmin 1695, which has a large screen. I wouldn't buy the 1690 at this point, due to slight feature deficit.

TomTom are pretty good, the current Go Live 1000 series and Via series have the features you need, though some people have complained about lack of support for downloadable POIs, but IMO with internet connectivity this is less important - at any rate the Go 550/750/950 are still excellent.
  • GabbaGabbaHey
    GabbaGabbaHey Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My TomTom is made by Garmin.
    Very unlikely - TomTom and Garmin are competitors, both of whom make GPS-based navigation systems.

Or are you using "TomTom" as a generic name for sat nav devices (just like some people incorrectly think that all speed cameras are "Gatsos", and all vacuum cleaners are "Hoovers")?
    Philip
  • sharpy2010
    sharpy2010 Posts: 2,471 Forumite
    Options
    My TomTom is made by Garmin.

Thats a ridiculous thing to say. Its like saying "My McDonalds is made by Burgerking".

Your satellite navigation device is made by Garmin. A TomTom can only be made by TomTom themselves.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sharpy2010 wrote: »
    Thats a ridiculous thing to say. Its like saying "My McDonalds is made by Burgerking".

Your satellite navigation device is made by Garmin. A TomTom can only be made by TomTom themselves.

I'm sure it was a joke :)
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    If you can find a good deal, go for a TomTom x50 series (last year's model, but much better prices than the current range and you get newest maps when you register it).
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • KillerWatt
    KillerWatt Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Options
    We have had both Garmin & TomTom, and the TomTom wins hands down every time IMHO.
    Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Options
    withabix wrote: »
    If you can find a good deal, go for a TomTom x50 series (last year's model, but much better prices than the current range and you get newest maps when you register it).

Always what I've done (I've had two TomTom ONEs) - buy the previous model for a seriously cut down price and then update the maps when you get it home :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure