The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Best way of carrying a disabled person upstairs

As we are waiting for a means test, would any body know of the safest and easiest way to carry a disabled 9 stone 70+ year old person upstairs? We are looking to a stairlift in the near future but in the meantime we need to get him upstairs for bathing etc.

Comments

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I honestly wouldn't carry a 70+ year old person upstairs or downstairs - too much potential for an accident for the person being carried and the person doing the carrying.
    Is there an older persons day centre near you that the 70 year old could go to that offers a bathing service?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Lorne
    Lorne Posts: 770 Forumite
    There is no safe way, washing down at the sink and not using the stairs or using a bathing service is definitely the safe option.
    Thanks for the advice Martin! :money:
    Member no. 920 - Proud to be dealing with our debts
  • onejontwo wrote: »
    As we are waiting for a means test, would any body know of the safest and easiest way to carry a disabled 9 stone 70+ year old person upstairs? We are looking to a stairlift in the near future but in the meantime we need to get him upstairs for bathing etc.

If you have applied for a disability grant this should have been refered to from an occupational therapist. I have an occupational therapist who within a week or so of me coming out of hospital contacted a district nurse to sort me out a hospital bed for downstairs, this was all sorted within 2 weeks and I spent the time in between on the sofa.
    I have all my bathing needs sorted downstairs by use of a bed bath which either my husband or daughter assist with. I get to go to hydro therapy weekly so have a proper shower there. An occupational therapist can provide aids for bathing downstairs too. My bed is electric so for time when I am unable to sit up I can use this in order to get myself seated up in order to be washed.

Speak to occupational therapist or district nurse regarding more help. Also my carers have an inflatable sink they use to wash my hair as I am unable to bed my neck, these are available quite cheaply and really help as I can lie on the sofa or bed and have it done!
  • yully
    yully Posts: 234 Forumite
    Please don't try. I used to me a nurse until I injured my back and lifting is just so dangerous for both yourself and the person you're lifting - that's not even taking the stairs into account. Whilst you're waiting you can have a really good wash from using a bowl and a few well placed towels, if you get the position right you can also get the hair washed. The likelyhood is the first few times you'll also end up soaked but you'll find a way but please don't try the stairs xx
  • Don't be lifting the 70 year old up stairs even if they are ok about it. You need to think of their dignity.
    If its that desperate then you get a nurse in or wash in front of the fire.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hose them down in the garden.

Would one of these solve the problem? : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7375486.stm

My mum (in her 80s) goes up and down the stairs on her bum, one step at a time.
  • Don't take him upstairs if possible. Get a bed and living space downstairs and wash/dress him there.

Before my stirlift was fitted 3 years ago (I am 35) I lived downstairs and slept on the sofa. I am just over 9 stone and 5 foot 10...OH is 6 foot and weighs 14 stone, so he could if needed carry me up but we were told by OT that it would not be advisable.

OH went on a lifting course sponsored by the OT and SS.

This should all be part of a care package through SS and OT etc and the nurses/caring staff would do all the cleaning/caring side to help you out.

HTH

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income