How can I sell my broken LCD tv?

Hi guys,

First post so go easy on me and apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I have a 32" Sony TV which I bought around 2 years ago. Unfortunately there was a little accident in which the LCD screen has cracked internally and I am looking to find the most cost effective manner to sell my TV while getting some form of return.

Cosmetically, the TV is in pristine condition, minus the above fault. In other words, all other aspects of the TV is in "as new" condition.

I have considered options such as eBay and listings on Gumtree etc but do any of you have any other, perhaps better methods to achieve a swift sell while getting a decent return?

Thanks in advance guys and happy savings!

Comments

• spannerzone
    spannerzone Posts: 1,549
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I doubt you'll get much for it as LCD replacement panels cost as much as the TV itself in most cases so unless someone has a working LCD that is suitable to put in yours I don't think there'll be much money it it... Ebay is probably the best bet but I wouldn't think you'll be getting much more than £50 - £100 if you're lucky especially when new (albeit budget brands) can be had for £200 or thereabouts.

Have you considered claiming on household insurance if you have accidental damage?

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Given the cost of shipping it, a TV for spares is probably worthless, unless someone local wants it.
    You can't say that it's otherwise 'as new', because if it won't power up and display, then you don't know what is actually wrong with it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • bobobop
    bobobop Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hi, i would list on ebay confirming exact condition, model etc and see what offers you get, thanks
  • crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    either that or do what the rest of us do with rubbish and bin it !
  • ebay is your best bet. I have sold some broken laptop and other electricals, which i never thought would sell. in your listing, mention that it is for parts only and clearly explain the fault. give the option of collecting it for free and shipping with an appropriate cost.
  • Have you got contents insurance? If so, worth checking whether you may be covered.
    According to ABBA apparently it's a rich mans' world . . .:p
  • Have you tired your local repair shop they may buy it for parts that is where we sold ours
  • catzooo
    catzooo Posts: 169 Forumite
    Try Comet - they do a fixed price repair = £125 to diagnose the problem and this includes parts up to £150
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Kurtis_Blue Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    catzooo wrote: »
    Try Comet - they do a fixed price repair = £125 to diagnose the problem and this includes parts up to £150

Doesn't cover accidental damage.
  • catzooo
    catzooo Posts: 169 Forumite
    oops - yes you're right - doesn't cover accidental damage!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure