Travel Insurance for Older Persons

Comments

• I looked in Martin's articles for my friend, she tried the numbers and got no joy (sorry Martin, it's very unusual) but eventually got hers from Tesco - don't know how much she paid for it though. I guess you get points with it.
  • Can anyone help finding and insurance company who will insure an 80+ man to travel to Canada for 90 days. Heartattack 18 yrs ago no current problems or medication
  • duart
    duart Posts: 29 Forumite
    word on the street is that marks and spencers travel insurance is reasonably priced but flexible enough tocope with medical conditions/google should bring up their site buti suggest you phone the number given on their site.

hth
  • ffs
    ffs Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for saving my parents a significant sum, just by reading your advice.

I found out that my parents, 68 and 71, had just purcahsed travel insurance for a trip to the US. They were concerned that it would be their last trip because of the insurance costs. I read the insurance section to them and called Sainsburys yesterday for a quote. The result was a quote that was several hundered pounds less than what they had already paid. Fortunately it was still within the 14 day cancellation period so they were able to take up the new cover.

Just as importantly they can now see that they can do at least three more trips (before they reach the 75 age limit for this insurer).

Thank you!
  • I am trying to organise travel insurance for my elderly uncle who has a heart issue.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to buy this, many insurers only cover up to the age 79.

Thanks

Angus
  • Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Try Age Concern, there shops might be better rather than the web site. My father is 66 and has had heart attacks. Normally they ask names of tablets etc, but he's just got insurance of them for a trip to Benidorm in March and they just asked how many tablets a day he took.
    They charged £90 for himself and my mother who is 65 and in good health for a 2 week trip.
  • maclean2
    maclean2 Posts: 709 Forumite
    Hi Angus

It'sfar from easy to fix up travel insurance for someone in their 80's in good health let alone a person with medical conditions but the following should be able to help :-

British Heart Foundation on bhf.org.uk where they list several travel insurers although your uncle will be over the age limit for some of them

travelhealth.co.uk

ch.facilities.co.uk

Hope your uncle enjoys his holiday.

Alasdair

PS Looked at your own website and Andalucia does look very appealing so I'll be thinking on that one !!!!!!!!!!!!

Alasdair
  • Not sure if this is in the right place but wondered if anyone can offer some advice for my 82 year old dad who has just been told by Bradford and Bingley Travel Insurance that they no longer want business from the over 80's so he will have to look elsewhre for his annual policy. The question is where or is he consigned to the scrap heap of life? Someone help dig him out.

Love Hebden
  • maclean2
    maclean2 Posts: 709 Forumite
    Hi

I assume that your dad had annual travel insurance with B&B and because of his age it will not be easy or cheap to find another annual policy.

Marks and Spencers certainly offer single trip insurance at this age if you telephone them (see link in Provider A-Z).One other source of names is holidaytruths.co.uk who have a listing of travel insurers for the more mature age group as well as an informative travel insurance sticky in the "general travel hints and tips" forum.

Best of luck
  • Thanks Mac for the tip. He is a fit old guy and takes onn average 8 or 9 trips abroad in Europe each year and so annual represents better value if we can find someone. I'll keep you posted.

Hebden
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport