Lost parcel - can I claim?

This isn't an Ebay parcel, but I thought this would be a good board to ask as you lovely ebayers would know :D

I sent a parcel First Class to a friend last Wednesday (another lovely MSE'er! :) ). It has never arrived. It was securely wrapped in a tin and then in strong plastic packaging. Her address was very clear and I also included mine.

I got a certificate of posting, but didn't ask for it to be recorded/special delivery etc etc.

A week on it obviously isn't going to arrive :(
Is there any way I can claim anything back?? The postage alone was £6.50!!!

The contents were worth about £12 max.

I'm a bit gutted about it to be honest, never had a parcel go missing before :(
:D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j

Comments

• You can make a claim from royal mail using just your certificate.. so keep hold of that.
    You can calim up to a max of £34... so you will be fine there.. but claims can take about 3 months.. thats not so good :-( and you don't get a postage refund. It isnt classified as lost until 15 days are up, so make your claim after this time.

Custardy may be able to tell you more. I have never had to make a claim.... touch wood... this is just things I have read :)
    I :heart::coffee:
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    right! :)

That is really good news, I just presumed that I couldn't as it wasn't signed for in any way.

The only thing I have is the Post Office 'receipt' you get when you ask for a proof of posting. It has time, date, cost, weight, type of parce (first class packet) and then they write the surname and postcode on.

I guess I need to go to the PO for a form of some kind?

I baked her a huge decorated cake that looked like a big Jaffa cake, it took all afternoon :( as well as some sweets for her son.

I even put 'this way up' all around the packaging so it wouldn't get turned the wrong way up!!

• SPANIEL36
    SPANIEL36 Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    someones sniffed it and swiped it for their pudding

sorry i know that wan't any help at all but my mouth was watering!!!
  • Aaaw Spaniel, where's your avatar gone of your boy?? We could have had a Spaniel page!!!

I know - I wonder if they thought it was a tin of Roses :( Gits.

• Thats a shame, but of course there is still a slight chance it will turn up :confused::o If it does turn up, hopefully it isnt too damaged!

Yes you need to pop into the post office and ask for a claim form, and fill that in, and send it back to the royal mail with your post office receipt. Like i said though.. epect to wait 3 months to get your money back... but it's better than nothing at least xx
    I :heart::coffee:
  • keren29 wrote: »
    I even put 'this way up' all around the packaging so it wouldn't get turned the wrong way up!!

Oh dear - this won't have made any difference at all. It will have been chucked around like every other package/parcel. Parcels are handled by dozens of different people at a number of different offices - and they have hundreds or thousands of parcels to handle. They just want to sort them and pass them on - they don't treat them as "fragile" no matter what you put on the package.

It could still turn up, but I wouldn't hold my breath about it's condition :o
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Cheers all. I don't see much hope of it arriving now - even Parcel Post wouldn't have taken 9 days, so First Class should have been a decent turnaround time.

I'll pop and get a form today and start the process. Like you say charlotte - it's better than nothing.

• I send lots of parcels through ebay and have had a few lost along the way, the same as charlottevwa your have to wait 15 working days before your can file a claim - post office have the forms and you can take them back to the post office or send them freepost direct to claims department. They are very slow at refunding anything from 2 weeks to 3 months and you usually only get the cost of items, not postage back - although it has been know to get that too.
    You will need original receipts etc for goods in parcel to make your claim.
    Make sure you keep copies of everything you send them too as they are good at loosing your info too.
  • right - cheers for that, I'll get the form and then wait 15 working days.

• SPANIEL36
    SPANIEL36 Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    keren29 wrote: »
    Aaaw Spaniel, where's your avatar gone of your boy?? We could have had a Spaniel page!!!

I know - I wonder if they thought it was a tin of Roses :( Gits.

changed it back ...just for you!!!

i like yours..looks mischeivous!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family