Temporary council work... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Former_MSE_Lawrence
Former_MSE_Lawrence Posts: 975 Forumite
edited 12 August 2013 at 4:17PM in Boost your income
This thread is now closed. There is a new one here.

Many thanks,
MSE Becca

This is a special discussion as part of the

article, all about

Temporary council work

which is part of the Work, work, work section

Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions
Just click reply

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A couple of really good ones for upping of income with the local councils.

1) the census- yes, its not due yet- but when it is its a good little spinner, basiclaly door knocking adn getting people to fill out the census. you have a patch you get paid for each survey returned. I think I got a few hundred out of it last time.

2) working with elections - ballot watching stuff like that, manning polling stations, and counting. Our local councils pay about 10-15ph ( london) if you already work for the local council as well, sometimes they allow you to have EXTRA annnual leave to "help out " the electoral registrations teams :j :D

Exam invigilation is also a good one for adhoc work ( again seasonal) always advertising on gumtree/ jobcentreplus website for these.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    You can also apply to register as a temporary relief worker through Education, Social Work & Community Services. Once accepted, your 'contract' does state that the council cannot guarantee you work, but it is always another 'string to your bow' and there's usually work available during school holidays. It does take a couple of weeks for payments to reach your bank, so this isn't a quick-fix solution, but it can earn you a decent residual income over the year, especially if you include unsociable hours and weekends. I can highly recommend it :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We use qualified nursery workers for our crèche bank in the Children's Centres. They are mainly teaching assistants, ex childminders and childcare workers who want a few hours during term time.

Also electoral registering. Similar to the census mentioned above.
  • Reacher
    Reacher Posts: 22 Forumite
    I am currently working for my local council's electoral office as an 'Electoral Canvasser'. This involves visiting about 250 local properties who haven't returned their electoral registration form. I have to visit between 19-28 October and help people fill in the form (unless there are any major changes, it usually takes less than a minute as it is mostly pre-printed with last year's info). I will get paid £40 to attend a 1 hour training session, £10 travelling expenses, £10 phone expenses (you would only use the phone to call the Council offices with any queries), £20 for 2 hours' admin work and £10 per hour visiting houses (we are allowed to work up to 28 hours). For safety reasons, you are not allowed to enter houses and the council will have someone working through the weekend and evenings in the offices for any queries etc. Obviously this involves working weekends and evenings when more people will be at home.

As far as I know, it is now the law (from last year) that this has to be done every year.

I have also done electoral counting in the past. I have always enjoyed this during general elections although you have to work into the early hours of the morning, it it a good atmosphere with all the candidates and local tv and radio there. However local elections can be a bit of a drag with a lot of waiting around for voting slips to be delivered from the polling stations. However you are getting paid to sit around! I might try and put my name down for a polling clerk next year as it is good pay but a lot of people want to do it.

I am a Council employee although my job doesn't involve anything to do with the elections office. I usually find out about these jobs through our work email. However, I do know that the Council also employs outside people (including a lot of retired people) but I have never seen the jobs advertised. I think people must contact the elections office and ask for their name to be put down.
  • Arwen
    Arwen Posts: 171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They do put their name down with the election office.I was a polling clerk in the May elections and got £145 after tax for being sat on my backside all day. Read a good bit of my book that day as well.
    Debts :Paypal £1981.32
    Monzo Loan £4278.16
    Virgin CC £2137 0% until Dec 23
    HSBC £5471.01 0% until Feb 2025
    Emergency pot £404.47/2500
    1p Savings Challenge £1.45/660
    52 week Savings: £22.00/1400

• tigger462
    tigger462 Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    So what department would i write to at my local council and what sort of thing would i need to say - like do you send a CV or just state you are willing to help in vote counts etc?
    Back to Comping 2022!
    Wins:
    Jan 22: Lawn Feed/Vegetable Seeds, Uncle Ben's Rice, Sculpted by Aimee Mascara
    Feb 22: Rainbow Lab & Nature Lab kits, Decode 3-in-1 Makeup Remover, Furthermoore early proof copy, a Furthermoor chocolate bar and a gold foil print, Hollywood Bowl VIP Pass for 6, Drinkmate, World Book Day Book.
    March 22: Kindle EBook, Whiskey at Home set, Motorpoint Rugby Ball, Shame of Life Cards (IWin), Jameson Set.
    August 22: Years supply CeraVe Products
  • pennyfrog
    pennyfrog Posts: 200 Forumite
    I'd really like to know too.....!
    Is there a form we need to ask for?
    Conquering the debts one penny at a time.....
  • bigturnip
    bigturnip Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There should be a section about working at elections on your local district council website, normally www.<yourdistrict>.gov.uk. Most have an a-z index of services and it will come under something like electoral services
    I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
  • Are we due a vote soon??
    I'm getting older, and lifes getting harder!:mad:
  • Are we due a vote soon??
    yes we are-May 1st/2nd if I am right.
    I had applied for doing temp work for postal vote counting/polling station clerk etc.
    I never got chosen for any of tehm as they only give priority to employees of the Council.
    Assalamu alaikum. May Allahs blessings be upon you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport