IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking in central London on sunday

Options
Is it free to park in central London on Sundays?

Thanks

Comments

• LincolnshireYokel
    Options
    I would doubt very much there's anywhere to park for free at any time or day inside the M25.
    **** I hereby relieve MSE of all legal responsibility for my post and assume personal responsible for all posts. If any Parking Pirates have a problem with my post then contact me for my solicitors address.*****
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 8 June 2012 at 10:38PM
    Options
    philip1976 wrote: »
    Is it free to park in central London on Sundays?

Thanks

Depends on the local authority you are thinking about - they are all different so you'd need to check their website and the signs/lines (including checking Controlled Parking Zone signs which affect the restriction times of single yellows for several streets without the need for a sign at every line).

City of London says this.

''The whole of the City is covered by a Controlled Parking Zone.
    The controlled hours for the City of London Zone, during which motorists must pay to park in a permitted bay and must not park on single yellow lines, are 7am to 7pm Mondays to Fridays and 7am to 11am on Saturdays excluding bank and public holidays.''

Westminster says this.

But then I also found this:

http://www.citieslabour.org.uk/2011/09/govt-cuts/

So in some cases, yes you can park on a single yellow line on a Sunday but be very careful and read CPZ signs, and look out for loading/unloading restrictions which are shown by signs and extra kerb blips in yellow, next to a line (the Westminster link mentions it).

As for bays, it would depend upon the sign at each bay and again, would depend upon the Council. Have a look at their websites by doing what I did and Googling keywords. I used 'London single yellow Sunday free' because my first thought was a single yellow was a better bet than a bay, possibly!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Slithy_Tove
    The_Slithy_Tove Posts: 4,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would doubt very much there's anywhere to park for free at any time or day inside the M25.
    Contrary to popular belief (prejudice?) by those who live north of Watford Gap, the M25 does not designate the London boundary, it is not completely tarmaced over and patrolled by predatory councils via CCTV. There are loads of places to park, day and night, within the M25.

As you approach central London, yes, it gets harder. But some Boroughs allow free Sunday parking. Depending where you're heading, you may need to do some homework via the boroughs' web sites and Google Streetview to identify potential spots.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Options
    Where abouts in London are you heading eg Southbank etc etc
  • philip1976
    philip1976 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    Where abouts in London are you heading eg Southbank etc etc

West end area,Piccadilly/Leicester square etc
  • Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    Options
    In that area there are a number of streets which have single yellow lines and you should be able to park on those on a Sunday, but check with local signs to make sure. If you park in the area covered by the London Borough of Camden then you will find areas near the British Museum where you can park.
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure on that area, it's Westminster so I would guess they will charge there on a Sunday.

This website may help.

http://www.findfreeparking.co.uk/london-parking/

You can definately park on the single yellow lines in Union Street, set your sat nav for SE1 0LH. It's in a big controlled zone starting at the edge of Union St, that does not operate on a Sunday. Don't park on double yellow lines, on the kerb or in front of dipped kerbs.

If you walk west along Union Street and then into the cut you will get to Waterloo Station (About 400m). You can get the Northern Line direct to Leciester Square then. If you c.b.a walking Southwark tube is right there, Waterloo is the next stop but is about 150m walk when you transfer in Waterloo to the Northern Line

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=643&q=union+street+se1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487604a63dab264b:0xc4857b75627fdd94,Union+St,+Greater+London+SE1&gl=uk&ei=9pPST4GSMsbG8gP12OCfAw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CBUQ8gEwAQ

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/
  • Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    Options
    Parts of Covent Garden are London Borough of Camden and the area around the Museum and Russell Square are also Camden.
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • w211
    w211 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    philip1976 wrote: »
    West end area,Piccadilly/Leicester square etc

A few years ago, I went to Lillywhites and parked up in Jermyn Street, there was plenty of spaces there on Sunday, but couldn't remember if it was on a single yellow or a parking bay.
  • philip1976
    philip1976 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business