PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How do I find out if I can connect to mains gas

2»

Comments

• irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    My neighbours were less fortunate with only one getting a quote of £179. The others ranged from £2K to £3K! I have no idea how they put their quotes together :confused:

I got a quote for £10K, neighbour next door but one has gas. The reason given was the diameter of the supply pipe (comming from the main road) was insufficient and would have to be re-laid.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Oil heating?! I wouldn't recommend it - oil prices are going to skyrocket in the near future. I would look into renewables as a more cost effective long term option.

To be honest, all fuel prices are on the increase.

Where oil leads, other fuels tend to follow.

Are renewables actually feasible for the sole source of power? Or just as a supplement?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    I shall rever to burning the electric bills from the storage heater to keep warm
  • To be honest, all fuel prices are on the increase.

Where oil leads, other fuels tend to follow.

Are renewables actually feasible for the sole source of power? Or just as a supplement?

I completely agree. Peak gas isn't that far away nor is peak nuclear for that matter which makes the 'nuclear alternative' argument a bit silly in my book! I think they are feasable as a sole alternative yes but one renewable isn't apropriate for all kinds of site. E.g. one of my colleagues inspected a victorian terraced property last month which had been converted to underfloor heating and utilised a ground source heat pump with the bore hole for the heat exchange pipes drilled vertically in the small front garden. They had a brand new solar hot water system which met 80% of their hot water needs and an immersion as backup.

Apparently they were trying to get some thin film flexible indirect sunlight (daylight not sunlight) solar PV panels from America to install alongside the solar hot water array to generate electricity to power the two biggest electric users in the house (the heat pump and the fridge). All A rated electric appliances. They did look at getting a domestic wind turbine but the area was too built up meaning turbulence would have been a problem.

All this was great but they had neglected to insulate the loft and put insulation on their walls which was costing them a fortune. Its amazing what some people prioritise when 'greening' their houses. If I had a penny for the houses I'd inspected with double glazing but no additional loft insulation I'd have enough dough to bake some bread! Insulate first then think about renewables people!!!

Personally I would hold off getting a solar PV system until the price comes down but solar hot water is a great investment. You can get a whopping big grant from the LCBP and there are loads of companies that offer to install it now. Evacuated tubes get good reviews.

If I had just bought a house there is NO way I'd spend money on mains gas or any other non-renewable system if I planned to live there for more than 30 years!
    Happy to help with HIPs and EPCs
  • adr0ck
    adr0ck Posts: 2,374
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    air source heat pump

(basically an air conditioning unit in reverse)

this is the way all new builds will be going in a few years time

gledhill & Mitubishi's product is on the market now

worcester bosch's is coming in the summer

Ferroli's @ about the same time

if you have a large garden (and a bit more cash) then go for a ground source heat pump (but you need a large garden) (you can dig down....but then costs rocket)

solar panels are good they work very well and save you between £50 & £100 a year heating costs ....therefore imo they are not worth it

ashp is about the same running costs as mains gas (so therefore a lot cheaper than lpg & oil)

the downside of ashp is the noise (like a washing machine on spin) therefore you need to house it away from windows (and your neighbours)
  • About time too - they've been around for ages! But then this historically wouldn't be the first time a clean and more efficient technology was displaced by a second best alternative.

Look what happened with the automotive industry.
    Happy to help with HIPs and EPCs
  • lucysettle
    lucysettle Posts: 28 Forumite
    Just read that there are grants to help with connection costs for people living within the 20% of the UK classed as deprived areas for gas supply.

How can I find out which areas those are???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure