Complaints procedures - Aviva/Cunningham Lindsey/Oriel

I have a quick question. We are in dispute with our insurance company/claims handler/appointed builder, and have seen various comments on the forum about going through formal complaint channels. What might those be? We have already complained till we're blue in the face, but if it hasn't been through the 'official' channels can that come back to bite us if we pursue the issue legally?

I know that Cunningham Lindsey have a complaints e-mail addy, but I would have thought that with the number of complaining e-mails I have sent so far to various people, that it might have counted as a 'complaint'...

Sorry - went on a bit....!

More here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2090797 Insurance broker: Post Office / Insurance Company: Aviva / Claims Handler: Cunningham Lindsey / Contracting Company: Oriel Services

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Your complaint about cunninghams, any builder they or the Insurers have appointed should be made to your Insurers as these companies are working on behalf of your Insurers. You need to send an "Official Complaint" preferably by recorded delivery / signed for. It will detail how to make an official complaint in your policy booklet or your Insurers website
  • As above, however they may provide separate complaints details if you request them.

It will outline how to make a complaint. Once they have received your complaint, which you can make verbally or in writing, the firm you are complaining too has to acknowledge your complaint within 5 working days. After that, they have, effectively, up to 8 weeks to make a formal response. It's rare, but it can take longer but they will inform you of this in writing. If they don't reply or you are not satisfied you can then take it further by going to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

The FOS have a look at it, decide if you have a valid complaint and either turn it down or investigate further themselves.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You could try a quick email to Beccus who has the unfortunate job of dealing with the many Asprea / Aviva complaints for MSE members. She is the official Aviva rep on MSE so welcomes the chance to try and sort problems out for MSE members

[EMAIL="rebecca.sibley@aviva.co.uk"]rebecca.sibley@aviva.co.uk[/EMAIL]

Make sure you give her your Name, Policy Number and Claim Number so she can access your records
  • OP - the complaints process is in the back of your policy booklet - it will give you the address to write to - Suggest you write directly to you insurers as Dacouch has mentioned above as your contract is with them and not C/L - if you are not comfortable writing it yourself get your solicitor to do it - even if you write it yourself it is worth getting your solicitor to run their eyes over it as you don't want to prejudice any court action.
  • h.cowell
    h.cowell Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Helpful advice from everyone - thank you. I particularly like the idea of having the solicitor check over any written complaint that we make :)
  • Make sure you follow the complaints procedure on the policy. If you continue to complain to the claims handler you will go blue in the face then white then red. THEY JUST DO NOT LISTEN TO THEIR CUSTOMERS. Make sure you log every conversation you have. The complaints process does generally work, however the only person that suffers is YOU the CUSTOMER as it can take a while to hear from the CEO office. Good luck. By the way, I believe Oriel are owned by Cunningham Lyndsey!!

MW
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Complain to Aviva in writing, but don't expect they will do anything. You may even get Baccus on here telling you how keen Aviva are to put things right. I may wrong, but this seems nothing more than a cynical marketing ruse to placate readers of this forum?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport