Cancelling a holiday with thomson

Hello,
I've booked a holiday with thomson but we can now no longer go.
We have paid for the holiday off in full and the holiday was in June.
Will we lose all of our money? :confused:

thanks in advance

Comments

• apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    12. If you cancel your booking
    If you want to cancel your booking or part of it, you or your travel agent must advise us. Once we receive your notice of cancellation you should expect to receive a Cancellation Invoice within 14 days. If you do not then please contact us. To cover the cost of processing your cancellation and to compensate us for the risk that we may not be able to resell your travel arrangements, we make a cancellation charge on the scale shown below. The person who made the booking is responsible for paying this charge. The size of the charge depends on when we receive your notification– the more notice you give, the less we will charge.
    If you are travelling on a scheduled flight, we cannot give you any refund until we have received your old travel documents, including tickets. Please return them to us or your travel agent immediately.

Cancellation charges
    These charges are based on how many days before your booked departure we receive your cancellation notice. These charges are a percentage of the total cost of your booking, not including your insurance premium.

Period before departure within notice of cancellation is received.% of total booking price. 56 days or more Loss of deposit*55-36 days 50% 35-22 days 70%21-11 days 90%10-0 days 100%
  • stw48
    stw48 Posts: 241 Forumite
    You will lose the deposit I think but if you can go another time you could maybe book another holiday with them and just pay an administration fee for the change, these fees vary by company.

If your reason for cancellation is medical then your insurance may cover the loss, there may be other reasons where you can minimise your loss.

Sorry not to be able to be more helpful.
  • Natztastic
    Natztastic Posts: 129 Forumite
    Hiya,

I work for Thomson and these are the usual rules:

If cancelling the holiday outside of 10 weeks before departure, it is a loss of deposit (Usually short-haul is £130 per person full deposit. If you have paid a low deposit i.e £50, you will still owe the remaining monies due on each deposit.) If it is within 10 weeks, you will start to lose money on a sliding scale which starts at 10% of the overall cost of the holiday.

If you cancel at this stage you should just lose your deposit money paid. All extra monies should be refunded to yourself.

However, if you cannot go on that holiday for some reason like the date, it will be cheaper to actually pay amendment fees and move the holiday to later on in the year.

I hope this helps.

Natztastic.

:heart2::blushing: Natalie :blushing::heart2:
  • starlight68
    starlight68 Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

i've just phoned up Thomson as I may need to cancel my holiday. Didn't realise I would still owe more deposit, came as a bit of a shock. Need to keep looking now to see if I can find another holiday with them, maybe just a short city break or something, so I just pay the amendment charge and not the huge amount of extra deposit.

Does anyone know if I would be able to move the holiday to next year or would it have to be taken this year? Forgot to ask on the phone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure