PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does cooked chicken keep for?

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    It will keep, wrapped, in the fridge for about 3 days (I never keep it longer than that).

It's perfectly ok to freeze it once you have cooked it, even though it was frozen in the raw. The trick is, to cool it and freeze it as quickly as possible to reduce the potential of bacteria multiplying.

Cut your chicken into chunks for your curry but do remember, chicken has a tendency to 'flake' when it is reheated, so reheat the chunks in your curry sauce very *slowly* to ensure it's heated right through and try to avoid stirring it more than you have to because that will definately break those chunks up and you'll get the flaked chicken in your curry.

Good luck :D:D:D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • toria27
    toria27 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Thanks both of you im going to keep most of it in the fridge, it turned out I had enough for 4 meals for 2 adults and a toddler! excellent.
    Am just going to freeze 2 portions and use the rest today and tommorow.
    Queenie last time we made the curry the chicken flaked but we actually preferred it like that, but thanks for the tip.
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Sorry everyone but I've got a probably stupid question to ask.

I bought a large (enormous) chicken from the butcher on saturday and we had roast chicken on sunday, chicken sandwiches on monday, chicken curry on tuesday and I've still got loads of chicken left.

My plan is chicken sandwiches for lunch tomorrow and chicken pie for tea, chicken soup made with the carcass to freeze (only so much chicken you can eat in one week)

The chicken has been in the fridge all the time and looks, smells and tastes fine, will it be okay to make chicken sandwiches and pie with tomorrow or should I get all the meat off tonight (please say I don't have to do this) and freeze the meat to use later.

Many thanks, trying to be old style but a lot to learn!

By the way five of us in the family and chicken cost £10!:p
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    I would eat it tomorrow providing that your fridge is cold and it's been in there since sunday.

Tomorrow is the latest day I would risk it and if it was for freezing I would take that meat off and freeze it the day or day after it was cooked.

You've done so well to get so much out of it... are you sure it was a chicken and not an ostrich? :D
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    BTW, if you have some panchetta, ham or bacon - fry it off and stick that in your pie with some mushrooms :drool:
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    OOh jay jay that sounds nice, will do!
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a rule of only keeping cooked dishes and left overs for three days. So if it were my chicken I would treat my cats to a chicken-licken supper tonight. I can't remember where I heard the three day rule but have used it for over 20 years
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,493
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Personal preference of course but I often finish my roast chicken lunchtime on saturday from the preceding sunday.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    The New England Cookery book says fresh chicken cooked keeps for 5 days in the fridge, but I'm not sure I would keep it that long. We've just used the last of our roast chicken from Sunday in a pilaf tonight and that's probably as long as I would risk it (though I did make and freeze soup from the carcas earlier in the week)
  • craig777
    craig777 Posts: 206 Forumite
    2-3 days max in the fridge for all cooked meats is the safest option... food poisoning is not pleasant, believe me!

Also, I may be stating the obvious here, but make sure it's well covered with cling film of foil (after it's cooled down), you'd be surprise at the amount of people that leave things in their fridge uncovered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure