HELP! Have cut back all I can but am still over-spending!

Comments

• The reason I am a freelance copywriter is because 4 years ago I used to work as a special needs teaching assistant in a school. When my 'charge' went onto secondary school I was surplus to requirements. The school were cutting back and so I found myself without work.

In that year I applied for many jobs. Most of them were teaching assistant jobs and whilst I got to interview stage for a few of them, I never got any further. I couldn't understand it, I had never been short of work before in my life, I had never previously struggled to get a job. I have an English and Law degree, experience in office work, fundraising, working with children and adults with special needs and working in schools. I have excellent communication skills and had excellent references. I signed up with agencies and kept applying but discovered that sometimes there would be hundreds of applicants for one post and those who were already working in that industry often got there before me. The longer I was out of work the more difficult it was for me to find a job.

I then answered an ad asking for a copywriter. I ended up working for a company on their website. They took me on for a trial period, paying my expenses only as they were a new company and I was gullible and fell for their promises of a great salary with a growing business. Only that never happened and whilst it was great experience, I found that I didn't really care to work for free.

With my experience now in copywriting however I was able to take on work as a freelancer and that kept me going whilst I sought other work. I again started applying for jobs, picking only those I had experience in and that I was qualified to do. I remember one such job for the National Trust. The vacancy was to write content for their website from their distribution office which was just down the road from me. I spent hours crafting that application form, putting in all my experience including what I was doing at the moment along with examples of my work and a reference from the company who I had been writing for. I never even got a reply.

This became common. Applications were sent and not even acknowledged. I answered an ad for a cleaner at a local B&B and started working there for minimum pay 4 days a week. Then the copywriting business took off a little and I built up regular clients which I still hold today. That coincided with the B&B slowing down so I was able to cut my days there and focus on my business.

The B&B now has 3 other cleaners and I am due to start after Easter working one day a week plus filling in for sick and holiday leave.

I know that posters will perhaps feel frustrated with me as they think I'm not taking any advice on board and seem to have an excuse for everything, but trust me when I say that there really is no work out there. I guess living where we are doesn't help as we're not conveniently located near any cities, but I really don't know what you have to do to get a job round here. Perhaps it's who you know rather than what you know?

And I'm not too proud to look for public sector jobs, but one look at my CV and they are put off immediately as don't want to employ someone who's only filling in a temporary stop-gap. That was one of the concerns the B&B lady had. She wanted someone reliable and not someone who would be off the first chance they got. So my qualifications and experience work against me there.

I am still on the lookout for jobs. If there is a copywriter position advertised I usually contact that company anyway and ask if they would consider taking me on for a trial period working from home the majority of the time. I am willing to travel every so often even as far as London if they also consider a little flexibility. Unfortunately why should they take the risk when they have 100 applicants in London applying? Still it's worth asking and I often do. I have also sent my CV to many large local companies and I follow this up with a phone call.

I'm prolific on social media and am out there trying to network and make contacts. I know some of you might now wonder if I am any good since I seem to have trouble getting work, but I do have recommendations, I am generally regarded highly by clients who do come back to use my services again. I have no reason to think that my work isn't top quality. I know about SEO, I keep on top of changes made in that area, I know all the tricks of the trade and I write to grab readers' attention. I guess if we weren't in a recession then who knows? I might be running a successful business but the hard facts are that we are and right companies will go for the cheapest option every time. I can't compete with agencies who offer cut price yet low quality articles from students and part-timers. I hope that the way Google is going, high quality content will eventually rule the day as there is no easy quick fix to improve website rankings. It's worth spending a bit of money on to get it right.

But yes, when the day comes and my husband is made redundant, if the business is still slow then I will have to quit and work full-time in a supermarket or B&B or something. At least then I don't have to worry about the kids as he'll be able to see to them.

In the meantime my budgeting goes on. I've managed to make that shopping last an entire week and a day tomorrow. I've cancelled my AVG subscription. I've cancelled the one school meal a week. I'm walking everywhere to save on petrol. I'm watering down the fruit juice. I'm shopping at Aldi and getting cut price meat from Asda. I'm doing a meal planner and a shopping list. I've listed a few things on ebay. I'm cooking in bulk. It all helps and I'm very grateful for the advice and support.

And if you ever hear of anyone needing a copywriter, well you know where I am!:D
    "Funny how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse, it does." - Marvin (Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy)

DON'T PANIC
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I know exactly what you are saying re work. I'm in pretty much the same position after losing my job a year ago when my employer lost their contract. It took me 6 months of not hearing from application after application (I got thru once to a pre-interview) before an agency rang me and I do holiday and absence cover for a distribution firm in admin. This suits both of us, they train me to do their jobs which keeps me 'hands in' and they get a temp who can hit the ground running. The only other jobs here (a deprived town in the North) are ones with hours that you can't get childcare for and with a husband who works away with no set pattern and kids too young to leave at evening/night/early morning I am stuck in the situation. Hopefully your occassional cleaning job might lead to something or perhaps in the way of contacts for you. Fingers crossed for your hubby's job too.
  • Yup me too. The good news is with your new budget, when it gets worse you will have prepared for it, and I suspect you will be underspending and building savings. You sound like its getting you down. Try to find some positives, as its gonna be a long journey and there are plenty of good things about a simple life.
    Take care
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

Do you like my avatar by the way?

I've just looked at it properly. I thought it was a penguin before! :rotfl:

That's it I'm getting an optician's appointment. :o
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The work situation will always be a nightmare in these difficult times. ESP for someone who obviously is well educated, a lot of employers will not entertain you for what may be seen as a menial position

However, don't pass any thing by. After a lifetime of admin for the nhs I'm now a cook for a very busy pub, not ping ping but real short order cooking.

That was something I fell into from helping out behind the bar for a party, then it was can you do this weekend and so it went on. Started the kitchen when the drinkers became less less shifts required on the bar

Don't ever rule anything out. There's always something out there. As others have suggested tutoring may be something you can do.

The coming year is going to be challenging but you are already started. On the changes. There will be many more ahead but you are not daft or scared of hard work so will manage it. And you do have time to get there which so many don't have the luxury off
  • Just a quick update:

I've been in touch with the B&B and am doing some work tomorrow and some next week which should give me a little extra. That's welcome as my pay this month was just £350.

I have applied for another job but got a rejection email today, however I will keep looking.

I've signed up to pay the water bill in 10 monthly instalments and we are paying our council tax bill over 12 months as from April.

The shopping is going well although I'm struggling to keep to my £60pw limit I must admit. Still it's lasting 8 days.

We've cut right back on heating. We never had it on at night anyway and now we're just putting it on for an hour and a half in the mornings and just for an hour every other evening for bathnight. Other times we light the fire.

I'm also becoming more inventive with packed lunches so that nothing goes to waste. And....wait for it....we're getting some chickens! A friend has promised us a henhouse and we can get young hens for around a fiver each so we can start keeping hens in the Spring and this will save us buying eggs. Plus we can start selling any excess eggs to neighbours (am planning to put an honesty box outside).

So still a long way to go but we are slowly getting there and I hope that our outgoings by the end of March are significantly reduced. :)
    "Funny how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse, it does." - Marvin (Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy)

DON'T PANIC
  • About the grocery bill: have you had a read of the http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/ website?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Delighted for you that you've got a bit more work and so a bit more money coming in.:T

I think £60 for 4 of you is pretty good going and as you're making it last days, you'll be having a 'free' week when you get back to Monday again!

Good luck with your chickens. I think there's a thread somewhere about that.
  • A friend has promised us a henhouse and we can get young hens for around a fiver each so we can start keeping hens in the Spring and this will save us buying eggs.

And you can always breed them for the table.
  • BedsitBob - if we get desperate we'll have to! Mind you, I'm planning on getting small chickens that would suit a smaller garden like Silkies or Polish hens. Apparently they are a lot tamer and don't make as much of a mess of your garden (I've been researching). But I'm sure a couple of them slow cooked would make a good meal :D

Cheap recipes looks good, will try a few of those. I think my grocery bill is more like £75 to be honest. I think making packed lunches does involve a bit more spending as I'm buying a lot of ham, cheese, coleslaw, salad, etc. Although I am trying to buy in bulk where possible so that I can freeze half and make it last longer.

Still not too impressed with Aldi. The fruit and veg is half the price of Asda but it also only lasts half as long. The blueberries I got were going off after 2 days. That's the second time I've had to throw away good food because it went off and I do keep everything in the fridge. So I shall have to be a lot more choosy.

I'm also freezing a lot more to save us shopping several times. Even bread and milk is being frozen.

Oh - what do you do re: veg? I did buy a pack of frozen broccoli and cauliflower but they tasted horrible! Really rubbery. Yet buying fresh is obv more expensive and they have a limited fridge life. Any tips?

DON'T PANIC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport