Redex... any good? or is there a better option

I have a 1.7 Ford Puma, and have been thinking that maybe I should adding Redex. Is Redex a good treatment to use, or has anyone experienced a better product? help and advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Hmm, I thought it was a good idea to use it to clean any carbon from the injector?? Hey, but I haven't a clue really, was just discussing it with a freind who has a suberu impretza (not sure if I've even spelt that right :o ), and they said, they use redex. I checked out a few websites, and there are a few redex treatments available, but I don't wanna waste my time if it's gonna do nothing to improve the car at all.
  • Quinny_2
    Quinny_2 Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Don't waste your money.

As has been said,petrol companies add various things to their particular brand fo fuel,which means you don't have to fork out on stuff that will make absolutely no difference at all.

Ken.
    That's my mutt in the picture above.
  • cheers for the good advice.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Redex doesn't do anything.
    Happy chappy
  • Cumbrian_Male
    Cumbrian_Male Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a 1.7 Ford Puma, and have been thinking that maybe I should adding Redex. Is Redex a good treatment to use, or has anyone experienced a better product? help and advice appreciated :)

Do you do lots of short journeys? Or travel in slow moving traffic?

There's always the old "Italian Tune Up"

Find a nice clear straight bit of road / motorway and keep your revs up over 4000 for at least 1/2 a mile. IE keep it in third gear not fly along at 100 mph.
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

• I would say at the moment the car does a mixture of in town and motorway driving. However, late September will see the car getting used on fairly long motorway journeys, as my other half will travel to Uni and back possibly 5 days a week, each journey being 3 hours or more there and back.

I don't want to spend cash, if it's not going to benefit the car or my pocket. I get regular oil and filter changes ect.. so I'm always pretty on top when it comes to servicing my car.
  • I have used redex to clean an injector on a motorbike by immersing it in a container of redex and found you can actualy see the deposits desolve into the liquid.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    deffinately not worth it my engine was never the same after i used it .:mad:
  • Snooze
    Snooze Posts: 2,041 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    deffinately not worth it my engine was never the same after i used it .:mad:

I had a similar experience but with Miller Oils diesel treatment. I used the correct dosage in my Astravan and now the engine clatters like a !!!!!!! and has lost power. Mechanic says the compression is down and reckons it's knacked the seals.

Not happy at all and won't be using it or any other fuel treatment again. The only engine treatment stuff I've found to be any cop is Wynn's Engine Flush just before you do an oil change. All the motors I've had have liked that and I highly rate it - just don't drive round all day with it in!! :D :eek: .

Rob
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    richardb1 wrote: »
    I have used redex to clean an injector on a motorbike by immersing it in a container of redex and found you can actualy see the deposits desolve into the liquid.
    WD40 will do that too.

To me, Redex is a "snake oil" in a bottle marketing scam.
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport