Redex... any good? or is there a better option

Options

Comments

• Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    If you want to clean your injectors remove them and have them done ultrasonically. Otherwise, leave well alone.
  • bartman
    bartman Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    WD40 will do that too.

Yep......and I have been told that WD40 is no more than white spirit.
    If that's right, buying it in aerosol form as WD40 or whatever other brand name is a very expensive way to buy it!
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Redex doesn't do anything.

Yes it does. Pour it down the inlet manifold then floor the throttle. Make sure you do it in a wide open space though as there'll be clouds of muck chucked out of the exhaust.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I've done that before. I did in a narrow terraced street. Looked in the mirror and visibility was about 4m.
    However, I think that's just the Redex burning.
    I don't think that pouring into the fuel does anything. When I removed the head off an engine I poured some Redex onto a piston to see what would happen. Nothing much. Another time when WD40 was sprayed on, the next day all of the carbon deposits had cracked and were coming off.
    Happy chappy
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I've done that before. I did in a narrow terraced street. Looked in the mirror and visibility was about 4m.
    However, I think that's just the Redex burning.

It isn't because after you've done it a few times and its cleaned everything out, pouring Redex down it results in a slight smoking in the exhaust that's barely visible.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Snooze wrote: »
    I had a similar experience but with Miller Oils diesel treatment. I used the correct dosage in my Astravan and now the engine clatters like a !!!!!!! and has lost power. Mechanic says the compression is down and reckons it's knacked the seals.

Not happy at all and won't be using it or any other fuel treatment again. The only engine treatment stuff I've found to be any cop is Wynn's Engine Flush just before you do an oil change. All the motors I've had have liked that and I highly rate it - just don't drive round all day with it in!! :D :eek: .

Rob
    Carbon was probably the only thing that was holding your engine together and you cleaned it all out. The same happens when people decide to put fully synthetic oil in an old engine "because it will make it run better".
  • koolkam
    koolkam Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I have a 1.7 Ford Puma, and have been thinking that maybe I should adding Redex. Is Redex a good treatment to use, or has anyone experienced a better product? help and advice appreciated :)

my throttle is sticking after being on the motorway for a couple of hours, and when i start the car the revs are normally at 1300 even in neutral and when the clutch is pressed. i have been told to put redex in my fuel to clean the carbon off a butterfly valve whih is sticking open....this advice was off someone who is not a mechanic and has not looked at the car...should i take the advice?
  • AirCooledHeaven
    Options
    koolkam wrote: »
    my throttle is sticking after being on the motorway for a couple of hours, and when i start the car the revs are normally at 1300 even in neutral and when the clutch is pressed. i have been told to put redex in my fuel to clean the carbon off a butterfly valve whih is sticking open....this advice was off someone who is not a mechanic and has not looked at the car...should i take the advice?

Assuming your car is not fuel injected any butterfly valve will be on the inlet side of the engine before combustion, therefore not in a position to collect carbon deposits. I would take the advice with a big pinch of salt.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    koolkam wrote: »

assuming it has a cable, you might find the cable is seizing up, disconnect the cable from the throttle and see if the throttle is moving freely enough without sticking,then try the cable and see if this seems sticky, you could try putting some WD40 down the inner cable to see if this helps if it does be prepared to be changing the cable soon.
    ...work permit granted!
  • AirCooledHeaven
    Options
    I have a 1.7 Ford Puma, and have been thinking that maybe I should adding Redex. Is Redex a good treatment to use, or has anyone experienced a better product? help and advice appreciated :)

You're really wasting your money with redex, unless you have a specific running problem then leave well alone. You may want to try filling up with super unleaded which the oil companies claim keeps injectors clean. I use 'super diesel' and find the increase in mpg compensates for the higher price per litre.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure