PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mouse problem landlord or tenant's responsibility?

2»

Comments

• trynsave
    trynsave Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Haven't got a clue whose responsibilty it is, but can I add that where there is one mouse there are more likely to be more. They just don't seem to travel on their own!

When we had mice we laid the traps (snickers are best by the way), but also called in the guys from the council. They laid traps round the downstairs which didn't kill the mice straight away, but let them gnaw at the poison blocks and take some home for the family - generous hey. Anyway when the blocks stopped showing signs of being gnawed we knew the mice had gone to a better place :A.

We now have some of those gizmos that emit a high frequency to keep them away. So far so good (and they also deter spiders which is a big plus).
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    oh I'm so glad of summer. I live with a rail line down the backgarden, with all the ground movement, the little field mice like to come in where it's warm, where my toothless (well she's lost a few over the years) cat likes to play with them. She can't kill them properly because of the lack of teeth and trying to find where she's stashed them is impossible!

Would check for signs of mouse droppings in cupboards before I set traps just in case it's a one off due to nearby building works or something. Any signs of droppings and the traps would be out.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you are laying poison it is important to keep putting it down until the mice stop taking it. If it is only put down once, they may not be killed and can develop resistance to the poison.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks everyone, well I will wait and see what happens now, possibly check at the weekend and replenish the poison
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • roses
    roses Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Buy a mouse repeller, I had a huge issue with mice last year & was getting them on a regular basis. I have not seen a peep since I bought this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pest-Stop-Professional-Ultrasonic-Electromagnetic-Repeller/dp/B000FII3Y2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1274810689&sr=8-1

Mice can be a real pain. They ate the poison in my house but didn't die. Wax traps were the only things that worked but it involved catching them the next morning then killing them

I had no luck at all with humane traps.
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    As the landlord is is your responsibility. Unless the mouse is an escaped pet.
    If the T is failing to act in a "tenant like manner" then his/her actions or omissions may mean that s/he has to take responsibility.

ChuckNorris appears to have acted as a good responsible LL. Given the damage which mice can do to your property its the best way forward, along with unequivocal anti-mice/rat advice to occupying tenants
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure