Kirby vacuum cleaner scam

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,703
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The guy that introduced Dysons ( James ) him self has got 3 Kirby's in his Gloucester shire house that in it self should tell you something people get very easily lead by the way things are marketed James Dyson is a very good market campaigner and has done well in selling Dysons but if they don't do what they are supposed to do then why pay such money for them???

lol what utter carp
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • hi ive just made the same call and got an interview very quickly - have you had your interview yet and is it a sales job?
  • I stupidly went for the group interview after applying for a marketing job. I was locked in a room in Slough with about 15 other people some were so desperate for a job it was sad but they removed the handle of the door so you could not get out. I tried to get out several times saying I needed the toilet but I was not allowed to leave! I was 19 at the time and was not sure what was going on but was really quite freaked out, as soon as the door was open I ran as fast as I could and when they called offering me a job my mother told them exactly what she thought about them.

All I would say is if you do want to work for this company be very careful the interview process was just the hard sale and intimidation. I am not easily scared but this still makes me quite upset.

Oh they also said that they go round council estates in the summer looking for people that still have their Christmas decorations up because they are the sort of people that are most likely to buy them!!!
  • Forwandert
    Forwandert Posts: 1,211
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I remember having a prelim interview and then a final interview with no mention of what the actual job was until probably the last 5 minutes of the second interview in 1998, looking back i'm glad i never continued after sucessfully passing the interviews, things we do when we're younger and naive.
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    they were ripping oap's off with kirby's in the eighties, yes they work well, yes they are well made and reliable, but its a vaccum cleaner !!!!!!, not worth anything near the selling price they ask, the sales guys are even told to say its a rolls royce engine around here :-)
  • Hi Everybody!
    My name is Jennifer Banks.
    I would like to share my experience with Kirby Vacuum.

I first heard about the job on Craigslist, the job was very vague, and said something about receptionist, so I thought I would check it out.

They scheduled me for an interview, and they explained the different job openings they had.

They told me how much I could make as a receptionist, and then they showed me how much I could make cleaning carpets.

I CHOSE the cleaning carpets myself, because I wanted to make more money to get out of debt.

I went to orientation Wednesday, listened to the distributer talk about the company,and I was impressed.

He told us we don't have to worry about trying to sell them all because we are new, we just have to show the people the vacuum, and he will close the sales for us, he told us he is a very good salesmen, and he will close all of the sales, he just needs us to do a good job showing the customers the vacuum :)

Well I was in orientation Wednesday through Friday. (Not paid, and he told us we wouldn't be getting paid) I was okay with that. I really wanted to learn how to make all this money, so I stuck with it.

Saturday I got to take the vacuum home, and practice doing demonstrations at my families house, and friends house. They all fell in love with the vacuum, so I got to sell a few,and got some cool bonuses :) Like a free gift certificate, and cash! Plus whatever I made on the 2 vacuums. lol.

Then Monday came around, our first day of real work.

It was definitely different, it isnt your average job. Me the owner, and 3 other people all got into the van, and we drove 45 minutes to a small town, and the owner got us all into our own houses, on the spot. When I got there, I was kind of nervous, but tried not to show it. I cleaned the carpet for the old couple, and explained to them, the different tools, and showed them all the dirt.
    I was trying to be friendly, and nice, then after 2 hours the owner came, and talked to the customers, and they bought it! I sold my first vacuum, and I was so proud of myself, the negotiated the price a little bit, because they were seniors, but yeah! I was very proud of myself.

This is how we got paid, if you sell 3 Kirby's a week, you get $300.00 guaranteed. Plus you get money from each Kirby you sold!

So if I only sold 2 Kirby's for $1,500.00 and the other for $1,115.00 then my paycheck would of been $300.00 :) Because I got Half of over $1000.00 So anything over $1000.00 would be split in half with my boss.

Well, I kept working, and putting in a lot of hours, I was very dedicated, and made good money. The only problem I had with the job was that I didnt have enough time to see my boyfriend, so I had to quit. We were working sometimes until 10 o clock at night, and I had no social life. :(

If I was single, I would definitely still be there, because I made very easy money. All I had to do was be nice to people, show them how good the vacuum worked, show them the dirt, and they wanted it!

I don't know why people on here are complaining. I am sure there are a lot of businesses out there that are not running it the way they are supposed to, but that doesn't mean that EVERY Kirby business is bad. It doesn't mean that every person that sells Kirby products is a bad person.

I don't have any criminal backround, but I do see a lot of people that have had simple misdemeanors that are hired, and there isnt anything wrong with that.

Kirby has a law, where they CANNOT hire anyone that has a felony. You can call them and ask.

They will NOT hire a felon, they do backround checks. Maybe in the past someone did hire a felon, but now if they do that, they will get their business shut down.

There was a point in time where I made over $1000.00 a week.

This isnt a regular job. You have a chance to run your OWN company with this job, you have the opportunity to make A LOT of money. It just depends how MOTIVATED you are, and how much TIME you have to invest in this.

If you sell a Kirby you WILL make profits of each one.
  • zppp
    zppp Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Hi Everybody!

I first heard about the job on Craigslist, the job was very vague, and said something about receptionist, so I thought I would check it out.

They scheduled me for an interview, and they explained the different job openings they had.

They told me how much I could make as a receptionist, and then they showed me how much I could make cleaning carpets.

I CHOSE the cleaning carpets myself, because I wanted to make more money to get out of debt.

I went to orientation Wednesday, listened to the distributer talk about the company,and I was impressed.

He told us we don't have to worry about trying to sell them all because we are new, we just have to show the people the vacuum, and he will close the sales for us, he told us he is a very good salesmen, and he will close all of the sales, he just needs us to do a good job showing the customers the vacuum :)

Well I was in orientation Wednesday through Friday. (Not paid, and he told us we wouldn't be getting paid) I was okay with that. I really wanted to learn how to make all this money, so I stuck with it.

Saturday I got to take the vacuum home, and practice doing demonstrations at my families house, and friends house. They all fell in love with the vacuum, so I got to sell a few,and got some cool bonuses :) Like a free gift certificate, and cash! Plus whatever I made on the 2 vacuums. lol.

It was definitely different, it isnt your average job. Me the owner, and 3 other people all got into the van, and we drove 45 minutes to a small town, and the owner got us all into our own houses, on the spot. When I got there, I was kind of nervous, but tried not to show it. I cleaned the carpet for the old couple, and explained to them, the different tools, and showed them all the dirt.
    I was trying to be friendly, and nice, then after 2 hours the owner came, and talked to the customers, and they bought it! I sold my first vacuum, and I was so proud of myself, the negotiated the price a little bit, because they were seniors, but yeah! I was very proud of myself.

This is how we got paid, if you sell 3 Kirby's a week, you get $300.00 guaranteed. Plus you get money from each Kirby you sold!

So if I only sold 2 Kirby's for $1,500.00 and the other for $1,115.00 then my paycheck would of been $300.00 :) Because I got Half of over $1000.00 So anything over $1000.00 would be split in half with my boss.

Well, I kept working, and putting in a lot of hours, I was very dedicated, and made good money. The only problem I had with the job was that I didnt have enough time to see my boyfriend, so I had to quit. We were working sometimes until 10 o clock at night, and I had no social life. :(

If I was single, I would definitely still be there, because I made very easy money. All I had to do was be nice to people, show them how good the vacuum worked, show them the dirt, and they wanted it!

I don't know why people on here are complaining. I am sure there are a lot of businesses out there that are not running it the way they are supposed to, but that doesn't mean that EVERY Kirby business is bad. It doesn't mean that every person that sells Kirby products is a bad person.

I don't have any criminal backround, but I do see a lot of people that have had simple misdemeanors that are hired, and there isnt anything wrong with that.

Kirby has a law, where they CANNOT hire anyone that has a felony. You can call them and ask.

They will NOT hire a felon, they do backround checks. Maybe in the past someone did hire a felon, but now if they do that, they will get their business shut down.

This isnt a regular job. You have a chance to run your OWN company with this job, you have the opportunity to make A LOT of money. It just depends how MOTIVATED you are, and how much TIME you have to invest in this.

Thats all very well in the USA, but I can assure you that what you have described is not as it is in the UK.
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• My neighbours bought a Kirby recently they paid £2300 for it. We bought a bagless hoover on special from a local supermarket it cost us £70. So if we assume that both types experience the same level of price rises... We can buy a new vacuum cleaner every year for the next thirty years and still be ahead :D
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly :D

• BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Everybody!

Blimey, just reading this drivel makes me want to rush out and buy a Kirby right now...not :mad:
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Hi Everybody!

You bet you'll make profit; at the expense of others by selling over-priced machines.

And you now spend your time trawling the internet for negative publicity and attempt to counter-act it with un-substantiated (and unaltered $$) tales. You saw the thread and joined, just to post that load of made up gibberish! How desperate are you? :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure