PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

blackberry picking

Options
Had a lovely day today blackberry picking with the kids.
whilst looking at all the bushes I notised some purple looking things, possibly fruits ? anyway Im ashamed to say I didnt know what they were :confused:

Infact what free fruits are there to pick and what do they look like ?

Also once Ive identified them, what do i do with them ?

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Could they be sloes ? A bit early I'd have thought, mind you it's a bit early for blackberries round these parts - where are you ?

http://www.sloe.biz/sloes/index.htm

Sloes are very tart and best stuffed in a large jar with copious amounts of sugar and gin for a few months - hey presto Sloe Gin !:beer:

Elderberries are good for making preserves- jellies and syrups and wine. But don't eat them raw as they can upset your tum.

Bilberries are bluish-purple and like small blueberries. There's a thread on here about them somewhere.

These are good sites

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Finding_Food/Top_Ten_Wild_Foods_for_June/

http://forum.rivercottage.net/index.php

HTH:)
  • jennybb
    jennybb Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if they are the same as something I've spotted - BF thinks they are damsons - still quite small, purplish with a sort of bloom on them green flesh - not yet ripe?
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Sloes do look a bit like damsons, but damsons are oval and sloes round. Also damsons grow on trees (they're a kind of plum) and sloes are on a bush with large thorns (also known as blackthorn).

You can make sloe gin with damsons.......except you call it damson gin:D I make it every year as damsons are easier to come by in quantity.
  • MIRRY_2
    MIRRY_2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    they were on a bush and they do look like the sloes , they were very small like the size of a small grape.

I live in Hampshire uk and there were alot of the blackberries ready for picking, We picked 2lb worth and Im hoping to make jam for the first time ever !
    I expect its the hot summer weve had, the reason we went and checked was because I notised a man picking them on a road side as we drove by,
    we picked ours in the country side (no car fumes).

Now I need some jam jars, do you think dolmio sauce jars are ok to use ?
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    i am sure the sauce jars would be fine, our brambles are not nearly ready here yet
  • janeawej
    janeawej Posts: 808 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    any sauce jar will be fine wash well then sterilize in oven at 120c before use, put small wax discs on top of jam and lid on whilst very hot or totaly cold!
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4 ;)
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Just remembered about bullaces - a kind of wild plum

http://www.biglittlefruit.co.uk/Campaign%20information/catid=4.htm
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to love berry picking as a kid, can I ask what the rules are in the UK though...............I hate to be breaking some unwritten rule. If the berries are growing along the roadside are they there for everyone to pick?? Is there anywhere I shouldnt be picking.

We wont be picking anything for a while here yet, the blackberries are still small, green and hard.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • MIRRY_2
    MIRRY_2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    I think someone mentioned about using the inside of a cereal box for the wax papers, I think it may be the the actual bag the cereal sits in .

wish I knew how to put photos on here cos id take a photo of the fruit for you to see.
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kiwichick wrote:
    I used to love berry picking as a kid, can I ask what the rules are in the UK though...............I hate to be breaking some unwritten rule. If the berries are growing along the roadside are they there for everyone to pick?? Is there anywhere I shouldnt be picking.

We wont be picking anything for a while here yet, the blackberries are still small, green and hard.

As far as the rules go, I'd not touch anything 2 feet from the ground. Perfect dog height!

Apart from that I believe you can knock yourself out. Feel free to contact the highways authoritity for stealing their blackberries, but technically you're doing them a service by keeping their pavements clean ;- )
    Tim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport